Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm riding to Alabama from Southern California to attend my fathers wedding. I'll be taking my 2006 Triumph Sprint ST ABS. On the way I want to see Roswell, NM onto see a friend in Lubbock, TX and then down to Galveston, TX just to see that interesting town. Over a ferry back to the mainland and on to New Orleans, then finally on to Foley/Robertsdale.

I'm planning 2.5 weeks for this trip.

Just a few questions:

Anything else I should stop and see?
New set of tires while I'm there? My current Pirelli Angel ST's have 3k on them, but are still in great shape.
Suggestions of where to stay, for REALLY cheap (just need a bed and a shower, nothing fancy)

Also I'm interested in open carrying a .45 Ruger P90 that is not my possession. It's my father's, your knowledge on open carrying a firearm on a motorcycle is greatly appreciated.

Anything else you can think of that might affect my trip, just post it up!

Thanks!

--Kory

Here's some photos of last year's trip to Colorado (Round trip of 3300 miles)

Ouray, CO

Somewhere in Colorado...

Sedona, AZ

Independence Pass, CO

Foothills Triumph, CO

Grand Canyon National Park, AZ

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
That'll be a nice ride, 4-5k miles at least. Why don't you just apply for a CCW? They're nice to have. Open carry is great and all, but it just draws so much attention and it's not worth it on a road trip IMO. I guess I don't have as many concerns with that since I can conceal carry nationwide without a problem. Maybe I just don't understand the desire to open carry.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly, where would I put the damn thing? In a case in the hard luggage? What good does that do me? If I have it securely holstered to my thigh on the bike, with a clip on my other hip/thigh then it's readily available for defense.

If I were to concealed carry it where would I put it? :laugh:

·
Registered
577 Posts
I honestly can't think of any places to stop on that route. I made the drive from Florida to Colorado 3 years ago and it was pretty boring. Texas is miles and miles of nothing. Louisiana, Mississippi, southern Alabama had horrible roads. I was towing a trailer and I-10 just bounced and beat me to death in many areas.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Q.

There is fantastic riding in NW Arkansas. You might want to plan to a route that stays a little farther north so you could hit the Ozarks in AR/MO and then come down through Memphis for some righteous BBQ. Then buzz over to Birmingham to visit the Barber Motorsports Park. Plan to spend several hours at the motorcycle museum there. That place is hallowed ground. :notworthy: From B'ham, just blast down the interstate to Foley.

My FiL lives in Pensacola, which is pretty close to Foley. There's really no good riding around there from a sportbike perspective. But the back roads are generally in good shape and make for nice relaxed cruising. I also know some fairly fun roads between Tuscaloosa and B'ham if you decide to go that route. Just send me a PM if you're interested.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
good luck on your trip have fun, yeah the trip on I-10 from El-Paso to San Antonio is flat and boring make sure you get gas often :thumbup:if you can I would check out Terligua Pass, Big Bend TX great roads and you can ride that along the Rio Grande , youll take a right off of I-10 to 118 all the way down

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is fantastic riding in NW Arkansas. You might want to plan to a route that stays a little farther north so you could hit the Ozarks in AR/MO and then come down through Memphis for some righteous BBQ. Then buzz over to Birmingham to visit the Barber Motorsports Park. Plan to spend several hours at the motorcycle museum there. That place is hallowed ground. :notworthy: From B'ham, just blast down the interstate to Foley.

My FiL lives in Pensacola, which is pretty close to Foley. There's really no good riding around there from a sportbike perspective. But the back roads are generally in good shape and make for nice relaxed cruising. I also know some fairly fun roads between Tuscaloosa and B'ham if you decide to go that route. Just send me a PM if you're interested.
I've already been to Barber (sadly it was on a Hardley... ) Thank you for the other ideas though!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Honestly, where would I put the damn thing? In a case in the hard luggage? What good does that do me? If I have it securely holstered to my thigh on the bike, with a clip on my other hip/thigh then it's readily available for defense.

If I were to concealed carry it where would I put it? :laugh:
You need to have a CCW to conceal it in your vehicle too, that's not just for personal concealment. The only exception to that is if it's in the trunk of a car. But if it's in the passenger compartment of a vehicle and it's not in plain view you'd better have a CCW or a Badge. If you were to get stopped and for whatever reason your bike got searched you'd get nailed for it. I can't think of anywhere in a motorcycle that you'd be able to get away with stowing it and not getting in trouble should that situation arise. The only reason I say this is because I recently got some documentation that I know was passed to every law enforcement agency (In the West at least) documenting concealment on motorcycles and issues with motorcycle gang members. Lol, not saying you're a gang member, but some cops are stupid enough to think all motorcycle riders are criminals. Just trying to pass all the info to you that I can.

Are you returning the firearm to your father? Or are you just in possession of it, even though technically it is his? If you are just transporting it I think you'd be ok if the gun was locked in your hardbags and in a holster or case with a trigger lock or something attached. It's something you'd want to inform an officer of immediately if you got stopped though, otherwise if found later he'd call you a liar.

If you want to carry openly, that's up to you. But don't expect to be able to make it cross-country without arousing some suspicion and attention. You're gonna get stopped, I guarantee it. Every time you pass a car on the interstate the cops are going to get a call of a man with a gun on a motorcycle! Hurry! We're afraid for our lives! :laugh:

Not sayin' it's right, but that's what will happen. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Conceal it in a tankbag, just arrange it so it's facing the right direction for an immediate grab. It helps if you carry w/ one in the chamber so you're ready to go.

I'd skip Roswell if I were you. Been there on the way to Ruidoso, NM for some snowboarding (which you should also not go to because it sucks). Roswell is a tired old town with tired looking shops and shopowners that are tired of dealing with tourists. The impression I got when I walked around Roswell was that they just wanted to be left alone. Enough time in the limelight and you get bored of it I guess.

If you plan on camping at any point I'd stop over in Amarillo, TX. Palo Duro Canyon is a petty awesome park to stay the night in. Get up early enough and you can catch some amazing sunrises over there.

In Alabama, depending on where you're headed, you can always check out Barber Museum. Been there a couple of times and still want to go some more... They rotate the bikes on display every so often, so it's not always the same experience.

That's all I got.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
If your willing to travel hours out of your way the grand Canyon, Sedona is nice but so many people there it is dangerous on a bike. The White Spars on 89 south of Prescott is one of my favorite stretches of road. Mt Lemmon in Tucson would be on your way. Maybe Tombstone? I only know places in AZ as thats where I was born and raised.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As I've said already. I've been to barber, bought the tee shirt and even the patch... lol

Thank you all for your other suggestions. I still intend on doing Roswell but will be quiet about the whole tourist thing. I will just be passing through and might find a quiet berm of dirt to lay down on for an hour and stargaze. I'm not into the whole UFO thing, but who know's what kind of stars I could see!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
not sure if youre into aviation but there is a nice lil Army Aviation deal at Fort Rucker AL near Dothan/Enterprise, AL

There are also some fun roads in the area if you arent tired as hell by then

Good lucck on the trip!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
159 Posts
Consider the ozarks to encompasse the northwestern portion of AR and the southwestern corner of MO. There is some good riding south of I-40 in the Ouchita Mtns..Hwy 7, Magazine Mtn, etc. But the density of good roads increases as you head north of I-40. There's enough good stuff there to keep you busy for several days. AR roads are generally in very good shape, grippy, but hard on tires. Many of the roads are very rural, so traffic and enforcement is minimal in most places. It really is a great place to ride. If you've ever ridden in the smokies, the Ozarks roads are not as tight as those in the smokies, but they are lighter in traffic.

Just a few roads to research to wet your appetite: Hwy 123 (AKA Pig Trail), Hw 16, Hwy 14, Hwy 341 (Push Mtn. Rd).

·
Registered
70 Posts
I know that in Texas as with most states, open carry is illegal. I carry using my crossbreed holster IWB. It's comfortable for me on the Daytona 675, so I would imagine that you can find one to work for you. Otherwise I would put it in the tank bag positioned to where you can grab it. More than likely though, if you end up needing the gun you will be stopped and off the bike or getting off the bike. I would never try to draw and fire while riding. That's only in the movies.

John

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds like a blast and when I have my Tiger800 XC I know I will be calling for a wing man to do some rides with
You got it man, name the road and lets ride.

I will be jealous of your 800 xc though.

Oh, no off road routes mkay? My sprint is an asphalt only kinda girl. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts