Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.
I know this is the triumph forum but we are all classy individuals here and i figured i can get some general help

My brother has 94 FZR 600 - which is carburated, 4 cyl. The last time he started it was november, the last service/plug replacement was late spring, battery replaced with a low cost unit in the early fall.

So the bike is for sale and someone is interested but we can't get it started. We have it sitting on the trickle charger for a few days and we play with the choke but it never fires. After a while we start to smell fuel which is a good cause it tells me fuel is getting to the carbs. The choke/carb cables are all working. it also has a full tank of premium gas and seafoam.

and btw way it is cold as sh** in the garage where we keep it.

I haven't tried: pouring a little fuel in the carbs...i've done this on atvs but is it ok to do on a sports bike?
also haven't tried rollin and popin the clutch. the driveway is very short and we live off a busy street.

the starter sounds strong when we press the button...and sometimes when its a warmer day it sounds close to starting but never does.

Any suggestions? Id like to help him out since he bought my R6 so I could by my daytona.
Thanks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Did your bro. ride the bike when he put the sea foam in? If not, fuel could of gummed up in the carbs. Just pouring fuel treatment into the tank won't get the treated fuel into the float bowls.

Also, check the airbox. Squirrels, rats, and mice like to make their homes in the airbox and always bring tons of junk in there. Not to mention they'll chew on wires.

My guess though, is fuel varnish in the carbs.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Take a hairdryer to the carbs? My buddy had to do this a while back to get his carbed bike to start. No idea what it does... :p

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help guys. I was beginning to think no one remembers carbed sport bikes.
The bike was not run with the seafoam unfortunately.

first i picked up some valvoline starter spray...ill try it in the morning
also, i think i can reach the plugs and ill pull them and press the start button and see if theres spark across the gap.
i was actually think of leaving a air heat gun (dryer) pointed at the block for a while...but the carbs are a good idea. thanks.
Im hoping with the warmer weather tmw (40F) ill have better luck.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I had an 89 fzr600 and I used to need to change the plugs regularly. It wasn't tough. Remove the fairings and you can reach the plugs just behind the headers (if the design is the same).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Once you pull the plugs you will be able to see if they are fouled. The plugs will be very black and sooty. They could even be damp from unburnt fuel. I once had a lot of problems with a FZR and fouled plugs. The previous owner had shaved the needles in the carbs. Plenty of fuel flowing and then fouled plugs. In the end i had to change the whole bank of carbs. Lots of fun.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Sell it and get a d675 ....:whistle:

sorry I just had to, hope you got it figured out.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
He is selling it, we'll see if he makes the right choice.

How about opening up the gas tap, if there is one ? And does the kill switch only kill the ignition ? :whistle:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the respones all. I tried the starter spray and all i got from that was mean backfire.
I pulled the sprak plugs and replaced them.
When I press the start button there is no spark seen in the gap. I hold touch the plug to the block and theres no spark from any of the plugs. i dont have a multimeter on hand to check battery voltage. Could i be missing something or check for spark wrong? igt seems simple enough

·
Registered
100 Posts
Does the FZR have coils? one coil for two cylinders? The coil provides the spark. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Another place to check. Spark plug wires should lead to the coils.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does the FZR have coils? one coil for two cylinders? The coil provides the spark. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Another place to check. Spark plug wires should lead to the coils.
you are absolutely correct.
So i put the new plugs back into the bike since there was nothing i could do with them out of the bike. I had trouble getting one in the last half of the thread. but it wasnt cross threaded. im thinking it was never put in tight enough or far enough and there is buildup on the thread.

either way i cranked it in and the bike started.
thanks for your help folks. carbed bikes are always fun projects.

i still dont understand way i couldnt see spark across the gap though

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have had my share of problems with carbed bikes over the years. Just a process of elimination until you pin point the problem. Hope the sale can go through now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts