Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked it up from the dealer this morning. 102Km later on my way it's dead and on a tow truck back to the dealer :itsok:

It randomly cut out on decel coming into a roundabout, somewhere like 2/3rd gear and cruising and never started again. The tacho needle did stick at 2,000RPM for a while but after several attempts to start did the whizzy bit through the RPM range.

The lights come on but the fuel pump doesn't prime and it won't even turn the starter relays. The oil light stays on (think this is normal until pressure is up).

I did notice two things, on two of the attempts to start it the engine management light up for a while and then went out. The other thing is that LCD display fades quite quickly, like the battery has shit itself.

Any ideas?

Dead battery?
Faulty RR?
Bust fuel pump?

I did take a pic of the RR in case any of you can identify if it's the problematic one, if it is I'll give the dealer hell!:coolgleamA:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yes its the older shunt type r/r. The new one is mounted in reverse. This is such a common problem I cant believe Triumph has not replaced them all by now. Keep us informed what the problem was.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to re-read the symptoms of an RR failure, does my description above fit the bill?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd be quite happy if it's the R/R. Shit thing to happen but could be worse. I'll make sure they pay (literally and metaphorically) for the trouble.

I can feel a free first service coming on :laugh:

·
Registered
233 Posts
This R/R shit scares me, when I bought my bike I asked if the R/R issue was fixed and the sales guy said it was fine on the new models. My STR is a MY11 model but the R/R looks the same as Moto's.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha, I wouldn't trust it then. Mine managed 102Km. One hot day when it decides it's had enough you could well be sat on the side of the road like me.

Luckily it happened whilst the dealership was still open and they immediately organised transport for it (obviously knowing what it was), no 'check this' or 'check that' questions at all.

My girlfriend still had to leave work early and drive 30Km's to get me. I will be sure to tell the dealer about these failures and remind how lame they are in giving me a bike with an R/R that is known to persistently fail.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The dealer is telling fibs. Triumph knows there is a problem with this type of r/r they get hot and stop working. Triumph has a upgrade kit its a mosfet type. If your bike is under warranty you should get this sorted. You can see by the amount of threads on this, it will happen. This is r/r that Triumph is now fitting. By the way my bike was a 2010 model that failed around 5k. The cost if I was out of warranty would have been around $600. Just remember when you are miles from home with no cell reception I said get it sorted.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Are all the connections the same on the new mosfet type? Simple plug and play(perhaps with a new bracket, or is the wiring harness required to be modified/replaced to some extent?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
This R/R shit scares me, when I bought my bike I asked if the R/R issue was fixed and the sales guy said it was fine on the new models. My STR is a MY11 model but the R/R looks the same as Moto's.
the first part of your sentence is what caused me to retro-fit a mosfet to mine. my original RR was still pumping out 14Volts but i wasn't chancing a break down at all.

it sucks when it happens to a "young" bike but that is what warranty is for.
i've been speaking to my local dealer and they know nothing about issues , hmmmmm. There is an annual RAT congregation this year in my home town. The local dealer got the go last year at Bathurst to hold it this year. I often talk to a few of the "triumph" guys and 1 who is in warranty.
so a few "off the record" conversations might happen again this year.
he told me all about the benefits of not having a EXH valve and remapping .

So back to the R/R issues , i bet the last few hundred shit scr R/R's were put on the bikes to get rid of stock and why not dump them over to OZ. i see this a lot in the auto industry. vehicles running engines that were superseded in the US and europe 2 to 3 years earlier.
let us know how you go.

·
Registered
233 Posts
hmmm, looks like I need to make a phone call. I have got 1300kms on the clock so far without issue but I don't want to leave it to chance.
Will see what they say.

Cheers
Rob.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
.....You can see by the amount of threads on this, it will happen...
I have an '09 model with almost 10,000 miles, on the original R/R - runs perfect. So you can't say it will happen. :grin: I'm fairly certain there are many thousands of shunt-type R/R's on these Striples that are just fine.
That being said, I do agree Triumph would be smart to replace them all, IMO.

·
Registered
868 Posts
hmmm, looks like I need to make a phone call. I have got 1300kms on the clock so far without issue but I don't want to leave it to chance.
Will see what they say.

Cheers
Rob.
Go get it replaced Rob.

Not worth taking the chance if it goes out on you.

S.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
I wonder if anyone has filed a report with the NHTSA?

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

I can see many scenarios where a failed R/R in heavy traffic could be bad news for the rider. NHTSA is the government agency that would pressure Triumph into a product recall if they were even mildly convinced safety was at stake. Being in the automotive industry, I can tell you first-hand that a vehicle manufacturer does not want NHTSA on their back.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
"- A very famous company" :whistle:

If your R/R fries, you're just not fast enough :coolgleamA:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Dude that's just unacceptable. I really hope you give the dealer an ear full. I would be beyond pissed off if that happened to me.

Not good Triumph, not good...

·
Registered
233 Posts
So back to the R/R issues , i bet the last few hundred shit scr R/R's were put on the bikes to get rid of stock and why not dump them over to OZ. i see this a lot in the auto industry. vehicles running engines that were superseded in the US and europe 2 to 3 years earlier.
let us know how you go.
Go get it replaced Rob.
Not worth taking the chance if it goes out on you.

S.
Agreed,
I have spoken to the dealer, they are being quite helpful so far and they said they will chat to Triumph on Monday I believe, so I'll keep you posted how it goes.

Cheers
Rob.

·
Registered
238 Posts
So it is the unit itself that is the problem - not just the placement of it? My dealer said that he would look into changing the bracket - so that it faces backwards. Should I force the issue - have him replace the whole darned unit?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I just bought a 2007 D675 from the original owner with only 1471 miles on it. Imagine my surprise when I was pushing her back to work after my first ride. My 10 minute joy ride turned into a 30 minute workout. A new battery later I was left stranded too far from work to push, I then found out about this dreaded R/R issue. I'm currently waiting for my MOSFET R/R to arrive.

I've been looking into a few battery monitors to keep an eye on things. For nothing less than peace of mind when I take the D675 more than a couple miles from where it currently sits!! Here is one I've been looking at. Anyone have anything like this??

http://www.compacc.com/p/Kuryakyn-LED-Battery-Gauge/1517003

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Spoke to the dealer this morning and they have sincerely apologized. I said I wanted the new MOSFET R/R which he said he din't know anything about. The service guy will look at the bike on Monday and confirm, they said they will speak with Triumph Australia about it.

I told them they need to deliver it back to my house (which is over 60Km away) and surprisingly they agreed.

I can see the MOSFET R/R taking ages to order in and me not having my bike next week either.

So far I've technically owned it for 2 weeks, had a 5 day delay before I could actually pick it up only to find none of the accessories were available and then it dies on the home.

My first ownership of a Triumph product is not going well.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts