Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Doing my homework in preparation for getting my 2nd bike in about 6 months time. Currently riding a LAMS (learner-restricted) 2013 Ninja 650 at the moment, and drooling over the Daytona for when I can ride unrestricted bikes.

I know right now that I won't need the 675R's fancy suspension and brakes any time soon. But if motorbike riding is anything like my other hobbies (read:addictions), I'll go all-in and probably get to the point where I'm gonna want some high-end bouncers and stoppers.

I've seen a bunch of K-tech, Ohlins etc. upgrades for 13+ Daytona Suspension which will work on the non-R and even improve it beyond the R's OEM Ohlins, but I haven't seen any clear details on the ability to upgrade the brakes on the non-R.

Given different calliper bolt spacing and disk size, its obviously not as simple as grabbing 675R brakes and bolting them on, but is there a way to get equivalent (or better) level brakes on a 13+ non-R (that wont cost
the world like swapping the front end)?

Or should I just suck it up and get an R? (which kinda sucks coz I really like the red)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey mate, I just recently upgraded from Ninja 300 to the Daytona and like you thought about the possible mods and upgrades. If you think you will be upgrading the parts int the next 1-2 years I think you get more bang for your buck on getting the R version even if you can't utilise them now.

I personally love riding my bike (non-R). I know that the R spec is overkill for me until a good 3-5 years more of solid riding. By then I will most likely just get a newer bike with the upgrades that I want so stuck with the non-R.

On that note though I'm sure you can get the brakes from the R and use it on the non-R version as long cables & rotors fit and match the master cyclinder.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I thought the bike was exactly the same apart from different brakes and suspension, so it doesnt seem right that the rotors would be different, R version brembos should go on the non-R just like that rather than having to do any mods (one would think thats how it goes) im unsure but thats what I thought! :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes, get a set of Brembo rotors and race Pads and a Brembo master cyclinder, the stand Nissin callipers are fine.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
The rotors are the same on either bike, not up to the same performance level as aftermarket Brembo, Galfer or Braking.
675R with different rotors, and a brembo RCS master is quite an amazing set-up.. 2 fingers will have you able to lift the rear wheel off the ground, and also great feedback for trail braking.

But if you are asking about brakes, there are quite a few option if you feel the need, but as mentioned just get the R model and have a better platform to play with.

if you really want to do some brake modding..

Rotors: Brembo: Hp or T drive
Galfer: Standard wave or Superbike
Braking: SK2 or Batfly

Calipers: Only one brand worth upgrading to...
Brembo: HP4 (standard 675R caliper) cast monoblock (cheapest)
Billet HP Next cheapest ($1500) 2 piece
GP4-RX ($1800) 2 piece
everything else is monoblock billet $1900+ per caliper

Master: Brembo
Forged 19x18 $275'ish
Forged 19x20 $275'ish
Forged RCS 19x18/20 $315
Billet 19x18 $800
Billet 19x18 motogp $2100

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 2009 SE, With an Accosato adjustable ratio master cylinder. Made a hell of an improvement. Hell of a lot cheaper that brembo, just as good. Excellent power and feel. The only thing is you will need a banjo bolt brake light sensor for the road. Junk the stock braided lines. Go for a twin line set up, running HEL lines as they are the best. Also change the pads. I'm running SBS at the minute.

After a track day at donnington park I found that at the limit with stock discs,pads with the acco and twin lines I had immense feel and power that was killing my shoulders and wrist, despite running metzler m5 road tyres! With a bleed and pad upgrade to SBS pads the braking power is now epic.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I would wait until you have actually ridden the motorcycle before you even consider doing any kind of modding to the brake system which Triumph has perfected already.

Stock steel braided brake lines are amazing and give a great feel and take out the sponge feeling in the lever.

The Stock pads are damn right amazing really and non Track only bikes the brakes are perfect just as they are. With that being said you should just upgrade pads only before you change anything out.

A different master cylinder that allows more fluid to be pushed through is going to increase the sensitivity of the brakes.

For the price difference between a non R675 and standard it's almost stupid not to go for the R model. The Ohlins suspension is night and day beyond the stock suspension

·
Registered
442 Posts
I would wait until you have actually ridden the motorcycle before you even consider doing any kind of modding to the brake system which Triumph has perfected already.

Stock steel braided brake lines are amazing and give a great feel and take out the sponge feeling in the lever.

The Stock pads are damn right amazing really and non Track only bikes the brakes are perfect just as they are. With that being said you should just upgrade pads only before you change anything out.

A different master cylinder that allows more fluid to be pushed through is going to increase the sensitivity of the brakes.

For the price difference between a non R675 and standard it's almost stupid not to go for the R model. The Ohlins suspension is night and day beyond the stock suspension
Correct me if Im wrong, but I thought the bigger the piston, the more the fluid, the less sensitive the brakes will feel, instead the brakes will feel stiffer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts