Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after just finishing taking the bike apart, tank off, installed some new electrics, rear block sliders, coating everything in ACF50 for protection etc and then putting everything back together (no left over parts, which is good). I go to turn the bike on, and the console is dead, no startup noise, no click and then "reset". Nothing. Headlights are on, but nothing fires up.
So here's my troubleshooting process, comments welcome. :nod:

Now since I was playing around with things: I figure that means (by engineering principles) last change to the bike is most likely responsible (rather than just something random). First time taking the tank off this bike, so I'm open to the idea that I fucked something up. I was careful, but who knows.

So just in case: I check all the fuses, nothing. While I was mucking around with putting in an accessory plug I'd blown the fuse that I've got in-line with that accessory line (carelessly cut the end of the wires while connected to the battery.. So the cutters must have made a connection long enough to blow the fuse..). Maybe that sent a spike through the rest of the system (which I'd lazily not bothered to unplug). The tales of people frying ECUs in the past is worrying me at this stage. Especially since the lights are on, but the electronics aren't. I really don't know what happens when you cross the terminals on a battery, so weird shit might happen that would spike sensitive electronics.

I wonder if something had ended up unplugged on the console/controls. I feel around under there, trace the wires back, seems ok, although it disappears under the tank (with a tonne of other connectors that I thought I checked before putting the tank on).

As I have an alarm on the bike the battery does tend to get a bit low after a few weeks. It had only been a week or so since a proper ride, but perhaps as I had the lights on for a while when mucking around outside..? I whip out the multimeter: voltage is 12.25-12.3 volts.. A little low, but not what I'd call critical by any means..

Can't see anything, consider that I might have not got something under the tank connected properly (or it got unplugged while lowering the tank back on (that damned fuel line is stiff as hell and might have put force on something as it went down).

*sigh*
So I resign myself to taking the front off (in case there was a connector that I'd forgotten about when putting it on. I take off the mirrors, undo those fiddly infills under the wheel arches (going to check the wire harness on the left side while I do it).

No extra connectors for the front, the headlight connector was fine (the lights come on, so that one is fine)

*double sigh*

Ok, so it's under the tank time. More practice I guess. I undo the front bolts, stuff a rolled towel (protects the front from scratches and give some height).
I check the connections to the ECU: all seem ok. I hadn't undone them anyhow, but who knows..

Undo the pivotpoint bolt, use the trick (gleaned from someone on here) to get the pivot pin out: use the thread from the bolt to give you grip on the inside of it by pushing down (or up) to make grip.. (magic by the way: well done whoever that was!)

I prop it up on a roll of jiffy wipes to give me enough room to get some fingers under the tank.

Visually it looks like the 2 connectors going into the fuel pump connectors are on ok. Look at the other ones and they look like they're all connected. As an extra check: the two fuel overflow pipes are still connected nicely: so I wasn't rough putting it down at least.

Struggle with the fucking fuel clip thing.. Designed by a sadistic fuck and angled the most retarded angle for trying to get out without snapping the plastic elbow. Seems like it's constantly under strain no matter where it is placed (tank down, tank up)..

Get it done after a few minutes of faffing around and swearing.

Sit the tank somewhere out of the way and check each connector under the tank. All ok. Hrmm..

Check the ignition again: still nothing.

Check the big value fuse at the base of the seat. It is fine too (I didn't check the service manual for the circuit diagram, but I presume nothing at all would work if this was dead)..

So nothing at this stage. I stare forlornly at the ECU, wishing for some means of diagnosing or verifying that it is alive or dead.

As it's getting on in the day I figure it's time to call the roadside assistance, I've nothing more I can check.
Defeated. :bawling:

So I put everything back on the bike. Tank. Front faring. Side faring. Infills under front wheel.
I hope that it is the "low" voltage, although I've had low voltage before and it clicks over before resetting.. This is just dead, so I'm thinking the ECU is stuffed given the big mass of wires that go from it to the console. If the ECU was dead, so would the console right?

Call the roadside guys (thankfully this is included with insurance, so it's a good free option). I figure if it is a dead ECU then they can take me to a triumph service place and they'll be able to diagnose it.

An hour and a half or so later the guy turns up. It's now dark and if I need it towed, it's going to need to be tomorrow I guess. He's got a van, specifically for bike assistance: so that's good.
He turns on the ignition, sees the same thing I do. Lights, no console startup. Hitting the ignition does nothing.

It's at this point I realise the killswitch has been bumped on.
:rofl2:

PS I've amended my troubleshooting process a little bit. Hehe. Funny how I've "fixed" this problem with at least two other friends (who were trying to roll start their bikes), but got caught myself. :smilielol5:I guess as I've never used the kill switch before on this bike I discounted it because "the lights were on".

·
Registered
498 Posts
:D

It happens to all of us... right after I bought an F4i trackbike I took all the bodywork off and then installed a replacement cam chain tensioner and speedo sensor. I went to put it back together and the fuel pump wouldn't come on... I tried and tried every connector no dice.

So I call the original owner who says "did you reconnect the tip sensor that I relocated into the front fairing?"

*much cursing ensued*

·
Registered
164 Posts
My console lights up with the kill switch tripped and the key turned on. The fuel pump just doesn't prime and it won't start. Hmmm......????

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
:laugh:

Should have admitted defeat sooner and posted on here... at the very least 3 people would chime in and tell you to check the killswitch... :p

Happened to me after I installed the HIDs, took me a minute or two to figure it out. Alcohol did not speed up the process either.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I had a little off this weekend in the twisties (bike is fine minus some scratches, I am fine) and I had the same problem once it got picked up and couldn't get it started. Checked everything electrical. The lights would come on but the console wouldn't so it wasn't the battery, then by chance one of the guys that were helping me flipped the kill switch and it all turned on. Wow I felt like an idiot. They didn't even realize the kill switch was causing it until it happened. :whistle:

·
Chiperator
5,539 Posts
I did the exact same thing about 2 weeks into ownership DOH!!
I'd read about fried ECU's etc and thought that's what had happened to mine, and then saw the killswitch. :rofl2:

Oh, Nathan, I am guilty of moderating and watching my kids at the same time and moved this here thinking it was more maint/repair related and hadn't read the post fully. My bad.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My console lights up with the kill switch tripped and the key turned on. The fuel pump just doesn't prime and it won't start. Hmmm......????
Really? The street is different to the daytona in this regard?

I always thought it was weird that the lights would stay on with the "kill all electrics" button on.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did the exact same thing about 2 weeks into ownership DOH!!
I'd read about fried ECU's etc and thought that's what had happened to mine, and then saw the killswitch. :rofl2:

Oh, Nathan, I am guilty of moderating and watching my kids at the same time and moved this here thinking it was more maint/repair related and hadn't read the post fully. My bad.
Hahah.. Well, I wanted it to sound like it was a proper maintenance thing. :biggrinjester:

It was just a half day of wasted practice. Taking the tank off, taking the front faring. Piece of cake now. Well, except for that @#[email protected]# fuel connector. That thing sucks..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts