Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I've got a bit of a problem. It follows up on this thread (which still isn't solved).

I was poking around the tail light again today to see if I could figure something out, didn't manage to find anything weird. (Battery was at 12.4v when I started)

Then I tried to fire the bike up when I just heard a click and nothing else. Dash reset and the bike made all it's whirring noises. Tried again, nada. Then I saw that the headlights were pretty dim, checked the voltage and it was down to about 8 volts.

Gonna borrow the neighbour's battery charger, but I just want to know if this is only a low battery issue, or maybe something bigger?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
In the search engine above type the words "definitive charging diagnostics" and use the first post to see if you have an issue with your R/R. There is a test to help you narrow down where you have a problem. Eliminate these problems and then go from there. If the battery is good (12.4v) then it might be your R/R.

Edit: Here's the link I was referring to.

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/search.php?searchid=2413498

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Okay guys, I've got a bit of a problem. It follows up on this thread (which still isn't solved).

I was poking around the tail light again today to see if I could figure something out, didn't manage to find anything weird. (Battery was at 12.4v when I started)

Then I tried to fire the bike up when I just heard a click and nothing else. Dash reset and the bike made all it's whirring noises. Tried again, nada. Then I saw that the headlights were pretty dim, checked the voltage and it was down to about 8 volts.

Gonna borrow the neighbour's battery charger, but I just want to know if this is only a low battery issue, or maybe something bigger?

Thanks!
I just re-read your post and saw the numbers. You should be above 12.4v with nothing on, then turn the key to on and you should drop slightly. Definitely not at 8v! I read somewhere here that it won't crank if you're below 12v. Then if you can crank the engine you should get above 14v.

You can charge the battery all you want but if your charging system on the bike is crap then you're just wasting time and wasting a battery. Check my previous post and see where your problems are. Since your battery is down to 8v I would assume you will have to change that out too. I thought the same thing as you and thought it was just a bad battery. I changed it out but because my charging system was the issue my new battery was quickly gone. Luckily I had a warranty on mine from the guys I bought it from. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the search engine above type the words "definitive charging diagnostics" and use the first post to see if you have an issue with your R/R. There is a test to help you narrow down where you have a problem. Eliminate these problems and then go from there. If the battery is good (12.4v) then it might be your R/R.

Edit: Here's the link I was referring to.

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/search.php?searchid=2413498
I read through that earlier, thanks. Will try it once I get the battery back in the bike.

I just re-read your post and saw the numbers. You should be above 12.4v with nothing on, then turn the key to on and you should drop slightly. Definitely not at 8v! I read somewhere here that it won't crank if you're below 12v. Then if you can crank the engine you should get above 14v.

You can charge the battery all you want but if your charging system on the bike is crap then you're just wasting time and wasting a battery. Check my previous post and see where your problems are. Since your battery is down to 8v I would assume you will have to change that out too. I thought the same thing as you and thought it was just a bad battery. I changed it out but because my charging system was the issue my new battery was quickly gone. Luckily I had a warranty on mine from the guys I bought it from. Hope this helps!
As per your post in my other thread I checked the voltage just before I started fiddling around to see if it was low and it seemed fine. So that might have been the reason for it not cranking (fingers crossed).

I haven't noticed any charging issues, but will test it to be sure. I think the battery got drained cos I spent a fair amount of time with my multimeter on the bike and a lot of that time it had the headlights (incl high beam) on. When the bike was on the battery was very low, but when I took it out and just before I popped it on the charger it was just under 12v. It's sitting at 12.94v right now and it's been on for just over an hour and a half. How much longer should I keep it on?

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IT LIVES!

Turns out it was the low voltage.

Bike off: 12.6v
Bike on, lights on: 12.3v
Bike on, engine on: 14.3v

So seems my R/R is still fine!

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Sweet! Glad to hear you got it figured out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts