Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals,
I started noticing this a couple of weeks ago. For some reason, when I am riding (already with the engine warmed up) if I am let's say on 4th gear and shifting down, when I hit like 3rd or 2nd downshifting and I rev up the engine while the clutch is in (to let cars know i am coming :) ) the engine will just shut off. It does not do it all the time, but seems like it is not that hard to replicate. Otherwise the bike rides fine, it is just those times when I have the clutch in and rev it up that it shuts off as I am downshifting.

I have noticed also (might have been there or not before) that when I am at a light for example and the engine is just in neutral running, the backlight on the dash seems to "glow" brighter/duller with the engine (this is barely noticeable but not sure if it always did it or not or if it could be related).

Any thoughts? reflash perhaps, fuel lines, clutch cable?

I had a bit of an issue during my second service about 1500 miles ago; I took it to the dealer for its second service at the 6k mark. They did the oil change and also updated the tune on the TOR exhaust they installed when bought. Long story short, the bike kept stalling as I took it home so I brought it back to them (the new tune seemed "fragile"). They were not sure what was causing it so they flashed it again and even went as far as changing the plugs; this seemed to take care of the problem. The bike is now at 7800 miles but according to the service manual it has a while til the next service.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any thoughts? For some reason I suspect either oil (low) or battery. I am waiting for the engine to cool off 5 min to go measure it and then report (according to instructions it said to warm up the engine then let it cool for 10min then measure)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
i would suspect R/R or battery failure.

the tune shouldn't be causing your bike to just shut off.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Thirded...

Gogogo definitive R/R diagnostic thread :thumbup:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I will look into this. I did notice last night though, that when it shut off both times, only the oil pressure light in the cluster stayed on. This morning I checked the oil and it is barely reaching the low part of the dip stick, if not lower. Not sure if the low pressure in the oil would make the bike shut off when the pressure builds up as I am revving it

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone in the San Diego area has done this upgrade who can help me OR knows of a reliable shop that can help me out? Thanks

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
i haven't done the upgrade but I did purchase an upgraded unit from d'ecosse awhile back (just in case....i'll probably get around to switching it one of these days). dunno if he's still selling them though. he does make a "plug and play" version with the new MOSFET R/Rs. I'd check your R/R first though, it's pretty simple if you have a voltmeter. There's a good how to guide on the forums too.

And definitely fill your oil up if you can.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took it to the dealer for a quick oil check, it was missing a whole quart. I will keep a closer look on it and definitely order the new R/R

·
Registered
832 Posts
Which dealer? I'd be a little concerned that they did an oil change for you 1500 miles ago and you're down a quart already... Not sure if it's what is causing the bike to shut off, but I would still address that.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Slight air leak?
Have you changed the air filter for an after market one that may need the rubber seal put back in?
Sounds a little like another problem I have read about on here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts