Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a truck to haul my street around to track days and such. I am trying to avoid owning or renting trailers. I dont want to go fullsize and am wondering if anyone out there uses a long bed toyota tacoma or similar size truck.

Figuring a cargo extender with the tailgate down might be a requirement.

What do you guys have or recommend? I wont be transporting more than a few times a year.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
when i had my kota (00 dakota r/t) I could easily fit the bike in the back with the tailgate closed and the bike front tire turned and the entire bike tilted to the cornors in the bed....I believe that was a 6' bed but that was b4 kids and about 3 years ago so cant really remeber

If you did the tailgate exstender and flip out thing and got proper tie-down system you would have no problems.....

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
i have a ford ranger xlt 4x4 that i haul my bike around in when i cant get one of the trailers from work. i have to leave the tailgate down, i havent purchased a bed extender at all. i use a condor wheel chock and strap her down. no issues at all.

but it could be a bit small for hauling to trackdays. i fit my ramp, stands, and cooler, and spare tires in the bed, luckily i have the xlt so i can fit most of my gear and such inside the cab. but that just going to deals gap. if im doing track days id want a trailer to fit more stuff. i could probably get away with the bare minimum for trackdays, but id like to have all my other stuff.

ive been looking at buying another truck, like a dodge dakota, they have longer beds, and sit lower to the ground. mines a 4x4, so its pretty high up and have to be careful when loading, or the bike will bottom out. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Odie is spot on..My Frontier with a 6 foot bed can haul two bikes seen here or I could kick one sideways and close the tailgate. The wheelbase between the 675 and my KTM was pretty close. Hauled the 675 to SLC and sold it last July, the KTM is still around.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,902 Posts
Just to keep things straight the OP asked about a long bed which is 8' even in the Toyota truck world. Yes they make or made a long bed Tacoma and obviously any bike would fit in it with ease. Personally I would stick with the standard bed which is 6'6" Short bed is 4'. My Street Triple fits find in the bed of my 05 Tacoma standard bed.

·
Registered
712 Posts
thats exactly what i have. it fits fine in there.

when i had my kota (00 dakota r/t) I could easily fit the bike in the back with the tailgate closed and the bike front tire turned and the entire bike tilted to the cornors in the bed....I believe that was a 6' bed but that was b4 kids and about 3 years ago so cant really remeber

If you did the tailgate exstender and flip out thing and got proper tie-down system you would have no problems.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine fits in my 06 dakota (base) with the tailgate up, without turning the bike or the front wheel (maybe just a tad). Plenty of room on both sides for the two ramps I have too. My wife keeps wanting to trade in for an suv or a car, but I won't let her since it fits the striple so nice.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
The bikes will fit in a 6.5 foot bed with the tailgate up, you just have to line the bike up corner to corner.

Hell I can get my GF's katana in a 6.5 footer with the tailgate up and that thing is nearly a foot longer than the 675.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I opted for the long bed on the Tacoma. I leave the tailgate down with an extender cage. To complete the set up, I have the Pitbull trailer restraint system installed.
Thanks for the pics. This is what I imagined would work.

I am thinking Tacoma Extended cab 6 ft bed 4x2 with SR5 package or similar vehicle at this point.

My neighbor makes them here is San Antonio at the plant. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,902 Posts
I opted for the long bed on the Tacoma. I leave the tailgate down with an extender cage. To complete the set up, I have the Pitbull trailer restraint system installed.
Funny I just explained this and people are still getting it wrong. That is a regular bed not a long bed. Regular bed equals 6'6". Long bed equals 8'. Even in the Toyota world.

Here's a photo of a Tundra with an 8' long bed.

·
Super Moderator
11,902 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what do you have now, i'm currently using a carrier hitch om my Xterra
Currently driving a mazda 3 hatchback. Would be cool if I could pull off a moto on a hitch on it! :) That would be worthy of some jokes.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I hope you don't drive at night like that your headlights would definitely be blinding people. I had the same problem in my Tacoma with a bike in the back and had to put air bags on just to keep the truck level.
I didn't have air bags at first and the handling was poop, let alone blinding other drivers but after the bag install it was like night and day, much much better, especially handling the winds off the gorge (Columbia River)

Currently driving a mazda 3 hatchback. Would be cool if I could pull off a moto on a hitch on it! :) That would be worthy of some jokes.
:laugh::laugh: here's someone being creative

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/images/threads/000/157/337/2359676-r6intheelement.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am interested in a truck for other reasons as well. Have two cars now. Have hitches on both. When I put 4 people in my mazda its ass almost hits the ground. Do I put money in the mazda, which i want to sell anyway, or get the right vehicle for the job? Trailer or not, trucks are better for hauling.

That looks like a bike in a honda element. Had a friend that did that. Broke down on the road and hauled his liter bike home in his element. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,902 Posts
Yeah compact cars are not designed to haul 4 people even if they have the seats. It's kind of like sport bikes with passenger seats.

Just keep in mind despite what you read your gas mileage is going to be around 20 at max. The reason I say that despite many companies saying 21 or 22 out of their V6s is that if you correct your mileage error that the odo has then it goes down because the odo is optimistic. It took me several thousands of miles to figure out why I seemed to be spending more on fuel then I should then I started tracking with my GPS and found that at least with Toyota their odometer and speedo are both about 10% optimistic. The stock tires are 265/70-16 and I put 265/75-16s on and now my speedo and odo are dead on accurate and by the numbers I lost about .3mpg going to the larger tires but the trade off is my odometer and speedo are accurate and I know exactly what my fuel mileage is which is typically about 17mpg on average.

I'm actually considering buying a junker 4 banger just to get good gas mileage for commuting but I need my truck as I actually do a lot of hauling and towing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Understood. In the past I have had a Ford Ranger, F150, and an Escape. Hauled and trailered with all of the them. Sometimes cross country 1000's of miles a shot.

Trying to keep life simple with something I can throw in the back. Minor mods to the truck like shocks or bags wont bother me if I see a need. Its more about parking space, storage, and convenience in my situation.

All good info for everyone to consider.

Thanks

Yeah compact cars are not designed to haul 4 people even if they have the seats. It's kind of like sport bikes with passenger seats.

Just keep in mind despite what you read your gas mileage is going to be around 20 at max. The reason I say that despite many companies saying 21 or 22 out of their V6s is that if you correct your mileage error that the odo has then it goes down because the odo is optimistic. It took me several thousands of miles to figure out why I seemed to be spending more on fuel then I should then I started tracking with my GPS and found that at least with Toyota their odometer and speedo are both about 10% optimistic. The stock tires are 265/70-16 and I put 265/75-16s on and now my speedo and odo are dead on accurate and by the numbers I lost about .3mpg going to the larger tires but the trade off is my odometer and speedo are accurate and I know exactly what my fuel mileage is which is typically about 17mpg on average.

I'm actually considering buying a junker 4 banger just to get good gas mileage for commuting but I need my truck as I actually do a lot of hauling and towing.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.