Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up my 2nd 675 track/race bike and was looking for input from ppl that have had experience with sliders and low-sides (on the track). I had woodcraft case covers and skyking offset frame sliders on my first bike and that worked well for one of my low-sides. But I've since become fearful that that type of frame slider may cause frame damage if it catches an edge ($$$). My last low-side was with only slider bobbins on the swing arm, and the result was a chewed-up cam chain cover, clutch cover, and bar-end, and a hole in my upper fairing. I'm currently leaning towards woodcraft case covers, the bobbin sliders, and... something else... Bar-end sliders? Dual mount-point frame sliders? Delrin glued directly to strategic locations? I'd love to hear any input related to what worked and what didn't for your low-sides.
Thx

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
i recently low-sided going 85mph
had sato frame sliders, front and rear axle sliders for Rider's Discount (forgot the brand but it's 89.95 for both front and rear sliders), GB racing engine covers

all that happened was cosmetic damage. tail fairing shattered (this is typical), nose fairing broke and windscreen broke (i think it got caught on the road), side fairings just had a few scratches, front and rear axle was fine, engine covers were fine. the GB racing cover was ground down about a 1/2mm but it didn't wear through.

id say the sato frame sliders definitely saved my side fairings from breaking and my frame from being damaged.

·
Premium Member
9,297 Posts
Knox,

On my 2007 Triumph 675 race bike this is my current set up:

GSG Front Axle Sliders
GSG Rear Swingarm Sliders
Woodcraft Engine Covers, both sides.
Triumph Stand Bobbins

I too do not trust Frame Sliders or Rear Subframe Sliders for the fear of them catching while lowsiding and potentially doing more damage than good.

With my current setup, I low sided at 85-90mph at NJMP the other season and the sliders performed wonderfully (this lowside also included several severe barrel rolls when it launched into the air after hitting the edging which broke my suspension triangles). Did not have to replace any of those items other than one of my removable Woodcraft engine sliders.

I love the WEC's, they work very well and the removable sliders are totally worth it.

Crash pictures - Well I ate it.. - Triumph675.Net Forums

·
Banned
365 Posts
http://www.rg-racing.com/What about High-Side protection? :p

http://www.rg-racing.com/

I can't help but wonder if race teams use half this stuff.
As a kid watching bikes go down I always thought "wow" it's neat that he has suzuki will have a new bike for him to race by the time he gets back to the pits. And rizzla can sort out his papers for when he's blazing up ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I only run WoodCraft on ALL of my bikes, last ones held up great in a 100mph lowside (along with my woodcraft case covers, RG Front and rear Axle sliders, and Traxxion Tank slider) I was able to finish my track day

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I only run WoodCraft on ALL of my bikes, last ones held up great in a 100mph lowside (along with my woodcraft case covers, RG Front and rear Axle sliders, and Traxxion Tank slider) I was able to finish my track day
Did you use the R6 tank sliders? Couldn't find anything else on their site. I like their disclaimer:

"WARNING!!! BY REMOVING THIS LABEL AND USING THE TRAXXION DYNAMICS R-6 GAS TANK SLIDER, YOU HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE POSSIBILIY ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY EXISTS THAT YOUR BIKE WILL CRASH, BURST INTO FLAMES, BURN TO THE GROUND, SOAK YOU WITH FUEL, LIGHT YOU ON FIRE, AND BURN YOU UNTIL YOU ARE DEAD. YOU ADMIT YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOUR GAS TANK AND SLIDER WILL BE CRUSHED AND DAMAGED AND BOTH WILL HAVE TO BE REPLACED IF YOU CRASH ON THEM. YOU AGREE TO HOLD TRAXXION DYNAMICS INC, HARMLESS FOR ANY DEATH OR INJURY THAT RESULTS FROM USING THIS PRODUCT."

Sweet.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a nice low side at the track last season with a set of GBRacing frame sliders. They pucks held up very well, as did the engine and clutch covers. They worked completely as advertised.
My concern about the GB case covers is that you have to replace the entire cover after a crash; whereas you only need to replace the crash pad on the woodcraft covers. On the other hand, you don't need to remove the underlying case cover and ruin a gasket... It looks like the cost to replace/renew might be fairly close? Can the GB covers take more than one crash? The crash pad (race profile) on my woodcraft cover was completely spent in a 60 mph low-side.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
the GB covers *can* take more than one slide but I'd rather just replace them for peace of mind

·
Registered
286 Posts
My only downfall with the woodcrafts is the fact that they don't offer any sort of clutch cover protection. Why is that? So I gonna buy both available woodcraft covers and one GB clutch cover? Nah, I'll just get all the GB stuff.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Here's the combination that works for me...and I've lowsided quite a bit both on and off the track :whistle::

Sato Frame sliders
Skyking rear subframe sliders
Skying front and rear axle sliders
LSL clutch ball slider
Skyking shift lever slider. Just be sure to keep your swingarm nut just in case it sheers off if you can re-tech and ride after an off.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Here's the combination that works for me...and I've lowsided quite a bit both on and off the track :whistle::

Sato Frame sliders
Skyking rear subframe sliders
Skying front and rear axle sliders
LSL clutch ball slider
Skyking shift lever slider. Just be sure to keep your swingarm nut just in case it sheers off if you can re-tech and ride after an off.
can't find the rear subframe sliders....where do you get yours from?

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts