Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using the Bazzaz quick shifter (QS4)?

Looking for a little feedback on how well it works and installation etc.

Trying to find a easy and economical quick shift option for my bike.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Highly recommend it, for two reasons.

1. The ability to change ignition kill times in each gear, very usefull if youre a road rider as you can stop it working all together between 1st & 2nd. I've had my road bike stall on me many times in traffic when changing between 1 & 2 so now I run no kill and don't have to worry anymore.

2. I sell them and know how good they are, zero come backs. Easy installation if you can take your tank and air box off you can fit one. Quality of components is tops.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. This is for a track only bike but I like that adjustabilty feature.

Is the unit "plug and play" or do you have to splice into the stock wire harness?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a question about QS as well not to robb your post.

I have a 09 675 but ,i have a 07 ecu because i had to use a differnt cluster from a 07. Missing cluster as a salvage when bought.

Now the wiring for the QS is surpose to be on the 09 bikes is it the plug that is down by the EXUP unit(which is removed now)that has nothing plugged in it, and does the 07 ecu have the QS option?

Other wise I have to look at one of these Bazzaz QS4 unit to have a quick shift? Thanks for any feed back..

·
Surfer of the lear
2,165 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about Bazzaz QS. I am eagerly awaiting for mine to show up on my front door in the near future. I can't wait to play around with the adustability of both the QS and the TC.

I have a 09 675 but ,i have a 07 ecu because i had to use a differnt cluster from a 07. Missing cluster as a salvage when bought.

Now the wiring for the QS is surpose to be on the 09 bikes is it the plug that is down by the EXUP unit(which is removed now)that has nothing plugged in it, and does the 07 ecu have the QS option?

Other wise I have to look at one of these Bazzaz QS4 unit to have a quick shift? Thanks for any feed back..
The '09 and up are plug and play. The plug sits on top above the airbox. However, with your current set up, I don't know if that option still exists. There are much more smarter people on here that can give you a better answer.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

I'm pretty sure it will not work. You have the wires there but the 07 ECU is not compatable with the QS. Only the 09' up and race ECU have that functionality.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Over the years, I have used quickshifters from all of the major sources, including very expensive strain guage units on even more expensive aftermarket engine management and display/logging/control systems. These are very nice compared to more common units, but the price is astronomical.

Most of the more common systems use a switch mounted on the shift lever assembly to initiate a fuel/ignition cut, and they work. However the switch requires a bit of movement that gives the shift assembly more play/movement/slack than most like.

HM Quickshifters uses a strain guage in place of a switch. The strain guage measures pressure from your foot (load) without movement, and makes shifting more positive - no added slack in the system. These use a very nice (yet compact) adjustable controller and display as well. Their pricing is competitive with other units at USD $400 (retail). If you have a Power Commander, these plug right in and use the PC QS software for control.

We are working with HMQS to make plug-and-play stand-alone "Plus" units for the 675 bikes. We hope to have these available next month. Until then, it is not hard to wire one into your stock 09 and later harness, but a bit more work is required for earlier 675 models.

Look at all the different units available, talk with those that use each one, and make an informed decision that won't leave you wanting something else later.

I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
13,207 Posts
The QS4 USB is a stand alone quick shifter system that comes with a model-specific wire harness, programming software, control hub plus a shiftrod/sensor system that allows a quick install.

The USB is not just a sensor but a complete system. It will work on the 06-08 bikes without issue. A very good choice if you are already using something like Tuneboy.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I gave a friend of mine a helping hand, installing a Bazzaz system including the QS on his Gixxer 1k -09 a couple of weeks ago, and were also able to take it for a nice test run afterwards.

I have ridden different bikes with Dynojet(PCIII) and HM quickshifters and use a Cordona on my own D675. However, I were really impressed by the smoothness of the Bazzaz system, it behaved flawless, with really seamless shiftings and didnt turn the engine light on. It was as easy to install as anything else I've tried and seems to be a good choice.

One remark - please remember that the Suzuki gearbox is a lot - and I mean a lot - smoother than the Daytona´s, which may affect my impression in a positive way. It has a looong first gear which make the upshift between first and second gear much more easy to handle than the first gen Daytonas (06-08).

I hope my experience might be of some help, good luck with Your choice:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I got and installed the full unit from Rider's Discount (Quickshift, map controller, TC, etc.). Got a custom tune done and the Quick Shifter mounted. Overall, very happy with the unit.

The quickshifter took some getting used to, but it does take off some lap time. Puts a big grin on my face when it shifts :)

Overall, it wasn't too difficult to install, but the instructions weren't that great.

Plan to mess with the Traction Control at my next practice. Didn't get time to install the light, so i have no idea if it's working or not. Not as useful on a 600 vs. a liter bike, so I'm told.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Interesting point about you working with HM on a plug & Play quick shifter.
The genuine Triumph quick shifters are made by HM in the first place I believe!
I have heard of riders with later models just buying the HM trigger unit and changing the end connector to match that on the connector under the tank and then thats it job done.

·
Registered
513 Posts
On the 2009+ all that is needed is a plug change on the PC version. On earlier models, it is a bit more work, but nothing serious.

I am trying to get Alain to include the 09+ QS code into maps for the earlier bikes. This way we can simply add the wires into the ECU connector and be done. [Plus, I want the QS option on other Triumphs.]

It looks like it might be possible to copy the race kit changeable ignition map feature into other maps as well. We shall see.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'm stuck on the fence right now as to which Bazzaz product I really need vs want. I know I want the QS4, but I was quoted a great price by Riders Discount on the ZFiTC unit. I don't know if I really need all the other options since the main thing that got me looking at Bazzaz was just the quick shifter, however I really want all the other features lol. Right now I'm running a slipon with a TOR map and I really don't know if I will have the time or extra cash to get the bike dyno tuned this season. Does anyone know if I were to find someone with a map for the Bazzaz that was "good enough" if it could be shared with my bike like every one is doing with tuneboy and tunecu tunes. Also would it be best to put the stock map back in my factory ecu before running a new bazzaz map on top of the factory ecu map.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm stuck on the fence right now as to which Bazzaz product I really need vs want. I know I want the QS4, but I was quoted a great price by Riders Discount on the ZFiTC unit. I don't know if I really need all the other options since the main thing that got me looking at Bazzaz was just the quick shifter, however I really want all the other features lol. Right now I'm running a slipon with a TOR map and I really don't know if I will have the time or extra cash to get the bike dyno tuned this season. Does anyone know if I were to find someone with a map for the Bazzaz that was "good enough" if it could be shared with my bike like every one is doing with tuneboy and tunecu tunes. Also would it be best to put the stock map back in my factory ecu before running a new bazzaz map on top of the factory ecu map.
I just ordered my QS4 from TJ, I'm going to borrow my friends power commander and get the bike tuned, save the map into tunecu and the load it into the bike that way, return the power commander.

·
Registered
780 Posts
My bike runs good enough to suit me as it sits but the price TJ sent me on the ZFi+TC+QS is a super great deal and it would be badass to have traction control on top of all the other great features. Its a little more than I wanted to spend but I don't want to be kicking myself next season or later this year for not getting it, only to have to turn around and sell the QS4 so I can buy the entire ZFiTC. I just don't want to get it right now if I am going to need a $300+ dyno tune just to be able to run it right away since I don't think I can get the bike on a dyno till later in the season closer to winter. So thats why I ask if there are any ppl out there with a map that I could share or run for the time being till I get the bike on a dyno. I know I could get the auto tune module and ride the bike and build my own map but I really don't feel a 100% comfortable mapping my bike on my own.....though maybe I should learn since I'm not getting out of trackdays unless I can't physically ride anymore or I'm bankrupt.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just saw this post came back to life so I thought I would give a update.

I ended up going with the Cordona setup.
Some of the reasons I went with the unit were.

1) Plug and play
2) Adustability
3) Small diameter of the switch.
This was one of the biggest reason. I have Gilles rearsets set up for GP shift and there is a lack of space to accomadate a standad pressure switch with out it hitting the frame.
The new Cordona strain gauge switch is very small diameter and actually fits right through the frame where the shift rod goes.

4) Turns out the Cordona rep for the US is local here in Colorado and was very helpful!

I'll post up pics later of the install.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I found the software on the Bazzaz unit to be much better than the PCIII. More overall functions, and good interface. My tuner likes it as well.

Can't say anything about the PC5, but i'm sure it's an improvement over the 3. I like the smaller size.

TC on a 600 is not really worth it. I don't think I felt mine kick in at all last time i had it out. I am installing the TC light soon, so I'll have a better idea. Did get a 'whoops' moment when I hit some water coming out on the main straight, not sure if the TC helped or not.

But like with any unit, don't plan on the factory Bazzaz (or PowerCommander) maps to do a lick of good. They're all ballpark stuff, and if you're that far into it, you need a custom map.

If you plan to ride up to NJMP, make plans with Markbuilt Racing for a Dyno tune. He's under $300 and very well known with AMA teams. Shop is right near the track.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Thankyou much, I'm a newb when it comes to tuning and these types of things but not a newb to bikes or mods. I was fully aware that the Bazzaz maps aren't even close to ideal....hell Bazzaz even stated that they don't make more maps them selves because anything they make isn't going to work right so its a waste of time. Which is cool that they aren't trying to fool the end user, and that they are actually looking for their customers to go get their bikes tuned the proper way. I was looking into dyno tuners and was curious as to what Markbuilt charges, and thankyou because I now have a good idea. Have you heard anyting about MRB motorsports in MD. A local shop here that runs the Bazzaz stuff on their race bike highly recommended them, and they are a bit closer to me. But if Markbuilt if that much better I would take the ride and maybe try to do a trackday up there after the bike has been mapped. Do you run the ZAFM module? If so how hard is that use, because it seems very easy? Its kinda cool that you can share the ZAFM between bikes so if you know anyone that has one you can borrow it to map your bike then return it to them.

I found the software on the Bazzaz unit to be much better than the PCIII. More overall functions, and good interface. My tuner likes it as well.

Can't say anything about the PC5, but i'm sure it's an improvement over the 3. I like the smaller size.

TC on a 600 is not really worth it. I don't think I felt mine kick in at all last time i had it out. I am installing the TC light soon, so I'll have a better idea. Did get a 'whoops' moment when I hit some water coming out on the main straight, not sure if the TC helped or not.

But like with any unit, don't plan on the factory Bazzaz (or PowerCommander) maps to do a lick of good. They're all ballpark stuff, and if you're that far into it, you need a custom map.

If you plan to ride up to NJMP, make plans with Markbuilt Racing for a Dyno tune. He's under $300 and very well known with AMA teams. Shop is right near the track.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I think the azam unit is just to help compensate for changes in altitude or humidity/temperature. I'll let those who know more out it chime in.

I run the same track all the time, so a custom tune works fine for me.

Yea, getting the bike on the track after a tune is the only way to see how it's doing. Revving around town at 13k isn't go ing to make too many friends.

I guess u typically do summit an/or VIR. If so, you'll love the surface at njmp. Not as fast as Summit, way more technical. The Lightning track is a bit easier, but hard on the right side of the tire.

I've seen MRPs bikes/trailer up here before and I believe they'll be at the next CDs races in two weeks. Don't know much about them besides that.

I would call Markbuilt and ask them for a price. Be realistic on your needs/goals, for an expert racer is going to want way more dyno time than a novice track rider. Tell him that a former customer recommended him, I could use a break on my next suspension work :nod:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts