Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to screw up the allen bolt on my RH bar end weight while doing the throttle tube mod...

My question is: Can you ditch the whole bar end and internal fixing parts (i.e. the locking nut, rubber washers etc) and replace with an after-market bar end weight that comes complete with the fixings? Assuming it's been designed for the bar and bike would this cause me any bother?

Many thanks for any replies:notworthy:

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Yep, you certainly can.

There are various aftermarket bar ends out there that have 'expander rubbers' - you tighten up the end nut and they lock in, internally speaking.

Those 675 bar end allen bolts are bastards, aren't they? While I was doing the 1050 throttle mod I just did about half a turn on the allen key, then a spray of WD-40....then turn it back in, and another spray...and so on. Slow process.

There was so much thread locking compound on mine that I'm surprised I got 'em off at all. More luck than good judgement, I imagine.

All the best!

O.B

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great thanks Old Blue, yeah they're a total git. I actually had it off to begin with and then put it back on. All I can think is I managed to cross the thread as it's totally locked in there. I then managed to mangle the head...

Almost as bad as the throttle tube fixing screws!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How, Burn? Tell me more!

Oh, and Dave, I've replaced those cheesey throttle tube fixing screws with luvverly stainless allen head jobbies. Mmmm....quality....

O.B
That sounds like a sensible idea!
I'm interested in how to do the mod without taking the weight off I must be missing something;-)

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Almost as bad as the throttle tube fixing screws!
Yes, those throttle tube fixing screws (phillips head) are NOT able to take much. I easily stripped one of the heads. I'm currently looking to replace those phillips heads with allen bolts (as they should have been from the factory!). Old Blue, can you share with us which bolts you used to replace them? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Yes, those throttle tube fixing screws (phillips head) are NOT able to take much. I easily stripped one of the heads. I'm currently looking to replace those phillips heads with allen bolts (as they should have been from the factory!). Old Blue, can you share with us which bolts you used to replace them? Thanks!
Hiya Ken.

I matched the throttle tube fixing screws - and any of the hand control screws that I thought looked a bit suss - with stainless, allen head screws of matching length and pitch. Over here you can just take the old ones in to United Fasteners and say "hello, I'd like half a dozen just like this, but with allen heads and in stainless, please."

Job done. Add one ball-end allen key and problems solved for good.

O.B

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
LOL you dont need to remove the weight to do the mod
And pray tell Mr. Wizard, just how does that work? How do you slip a smaller diameter throttle tube and grip over a larger diameter object (bar end) that is in the way? If you can show me that, then I will believe in magic.

My bar ends are in there so friggin' tight but loose all at the same time... The allen bolt spins freely with the bar end weight, but is super duper loc-tited when I try to keep the bar end weight from rotating in order to loosen it. Don't want to scratch it up by applying pliers or anything to get a better grip either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
How to get the bar ends off.

If you are going to do the 1050 throttle tube mod do not try to remove the allen screw in the bar end weight! The screw is glued in and it`s real hard to undo.

Start by removing the 2 screws under the throttle housing, then separate the two halves of the throttle housing and remove them. Now slide the grip up the bar as far as it will go and you will see two holes in the handlebar. Inside the bar is a steel clip with 2 small tabs locked into the holes, find something pointy and push the tabs in to release them. Now you can pull the whole bar end assembly out of the bar in one go:cool:.

I wish I had worked this out before I stripped the head in the allen bolt and spent the next 2 days getting the F$%&ing thing undone!!

Slow-lemon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts