Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

So Currently im working at an airport where I have access to free avgas and Jet fue l:whistle:. Anyway, I would like to run avgas in my 675 not really because of performance increase only because it's free and Gas here will be reaching 4 dollars a gallon quite quickly maybe even 5 by the time the summer comes in 2011. Now I realize that I have to delete the cat in order to do this because the avgas will destroy it, Is there anything else that I would need to do in order to adapt the bike to running it ? any info would be appreciated. thanks

·
Surfer of the lear
2,165 Posts
hey guys,

So Currently im working at an airport where I have access to free avgas and Jet fue l:whistle:. Anyway, I would like to run avgas in my 675 not really because of performance increase only because it's free and Gas here will be reaching 4 dollars a gallon quite quickly maybe even 5 by the time the summer comes in 2011. Now I realize that I have to delete the cat in order to do this because the avgas will destroy it, Is there anything else that I would need to do in order to adapt the bike to running it ? any info would be appreciated. thanks
As far as I know, you can run Avgas (100LL) without any problems. I don't think you even have to take out the cat. You CAN NOT use Jet A, JP 5 or any other aviation grade fuel except for 100LL.

Tell me which airport you work at so I know where to top off my plane! LOL

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
hey guys,

Wow...this could be interesting...:whistle:

On a serious note, I would find out its ethanol content and octane rating compared to pump gas and race gas. If the ethanol content is high, you can maybe use a tune for Brazil (where the ethanol content is high) as a baseline. Definately delete the cat and you will need to dyno tune your bike to handle it.....well..."if" it could handle it.

I know Triumph collaborated with a University somewhere in Englad where they created gas made out of apples and all they did was change the tune. Hopefully that's all that's needed for yours.

However this is all that pops to mind and Im far from a tuning expert so maybe someone with much better experience can chime in

·
Registered
124 Posts
It's not the octane of 100 you have to worry about. It's the lead. The lead will foul your plugs and build up inside them. The seals in your fuel system and engine are not made for lead and will break down and maybe leak.

The lead is not like old leaded gas but in lower concentration. It's only there for aircraft for lubrication and cooling of the engine. Modern vehicles are not designed to use lead anymore.

If you want to use it be prepared that you may blow your engine up and have other side effects of using it.

·
Surfer of the lear
2,165 Posts
It's not the octane of 100 you have to worry about. It's the lead. The lead will foul your plugs and build up inside them. The seals in your fuel system and engine are not made for lead and will break down and maybe leak.

The lead is not like old leaded gas but in lower concentration. It's only there for aircraft for lubrication and cooling of the engine. Modern vehicles are not designed to use lead anymore.

If you want to use it be prepared that you may blow your engine up and have other side effects of using it.
I stand corrected. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
As a heads up, in case you didn't know already, this can very easily get you fired haha. My dad has a prop plane and the hanger he keeps it fired one of their employees not too long ago because he had been filling up his diesel truck with jet fuel.

·
Super Moderator
2,821 Posts
As a heads up, in case you didn't know already, this can very easily get you fired haha. My dad has a prop plane and the hanger he keeps it fired one of their employees not too long ago because he had been filling up his diesel truck with jet fuel.
My dad fills up his diesel from work all the time, but from barrels that they have filled up from draining the tanks testing the fuel (it is not put back in the planes.

But I definitely could see people being fired for this. I am surprised the OP can do that.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wow...this could be interesting...:whistle:

On a serious note, I would find out its ethanol content and octane rating compared to pump gas and race gas. If the ethanol content is high, you can maybe use a tune for Brazil (where the ethanol content is high) as a baseline. Definately delete the cat and you will need to dyno tune your bike to handle it.....well..."if" it could handle it.

I know Triumph collaborated with a University somewhere in Englad where they created gas made out of apples and all they did was change the tune. Hopefully that's all that's needed for yours.

However this is all that pops to mind and Im far from a tuning expert so maybe someone with much better experience can chime in
Without researching this, and being I pilot, I'm willing to wager that 100LL is not ethanol based. It costs millions upon millions of dollars to test and create fuel alternatives that pass FAA safety regulations. Prime reason the leaded fuel is still in existence for now. 94+ unleaded is in development. Point being.....ethanol has become popular in the last 10 years. The formula for 100LL has probably not changed since certified a century ago.

Second point to the OP. If you can't afford to fill a motorcycle...........your doing something wrong.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ahh no worries about getting fired... its just test fuel that we have to sump everyday and gets discarded afterwords. that all. as for the seals getting destroyed i don't think that is true...my buddy that works with me used to put it in his Harley and never had any problems and that's all he ran in it from the first day he bought it off the show room floor. and I know a guy that runs a hyabusa on avgas as well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And its not that I am in desperate need to save the money but if I can why not...If I have it readily available and there is nothing stopping me from using it, why would I buy a gallon of gas for 4 or even 5 bucks when I can get it for free.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Aha, yeah, I completely agree with you in that case. In the case of "why not" I'd do it too haha.

I steal packing penuts from work when sending christmas presents.......
YOU'RE GOING STRAIGHT TO HELL.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
1. Avgas does NOT contain ethanol. It's not subject to the bullshit 10% ethanol requirement that most pump stations are. Do not run the Brazilian tune!!

2. The lead in avgas will destroy your cat, but you already know that. Otherwise, there is no harm that will be done to your engine. The lead is there as an octane booster and lube. If you run 100LL you'll probably run a little rich without re-tuning, so that might foul your plugs a little faster than normal, but $20 a year in plugs is well worth the free fuel IMO. The only side effect you'll get is lead poisoning if you're dumb enough to inhale it, and your exhaust tip will get whitened instead of blackened. We store our vintage and race bikes with avgas because it doesn't go bad as fast as pump gas, but we don't run it regularly because of cost.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So yea that's what I thought...I plan on tuning with tune ecu...what tune should I run to accommodate the cat-delete and the high octane. Also would I need to run hotter plugs? Anything else I should be concerned about?

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
So yea that's what I thought...I plan on tuning with tune ecu...what tune should I run to accommodate the cat-delete and the high octane. Also would I need to run hotter plugs? Anything else I should be concerned about?
I would think a good baseline tune would be based on race gas. As to what type...not sure.

But I'll leave that for better qualified experts to chime in

·
Registered
146 Posts
I work on turbine powered helicopters and we usually use our "sumped" Jet-A in Diesel rentals, especially overseas. Just have to be a little careful cause Diesel has a lubricant in the fuel and Jet-A does not, so you can't substitute completely. A little here and there to top it off is good tho. Saves trips to the petrol stations :)

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
Probably the closest thing to what you'll have is a full Arrow tune, but it'll still be pretty far off considering 1. It's not an Arrow and 2. It's meant to run on 91 octane pump gas. Ideally you'll need a custom tune. What year is your 675?

*edit* I see it's Scorched Yellow, so it's 06 or 07 right? What I would do, since no dyno shop will be familiar with Tune ECU, is get a used PC III off ebay, cheap. Throw it on your bike, de-cat, fill with avgas, have a shop do a custom dyno tune. You can then copy the PC III tune to your laptop with your Tune ECU, remove the PC III, upload tune directly to your ECU and sell the PC III for what you paid. But that's just me...

Not hotter plugs, colder plugs. There will be more fuel & more air running through, making your engine run hotter. A "cooler" plug doesn't have a colder spark temperature, it's just better at cooling off between combustion cycles. CR10EIX would probably be ideal. Be warned though, if you're using this bike as a commuter and not regularly revving it up to redline, your plugs will foul especially fast. Throw in a track day once a month and you'll be golden.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the Y2K bike run avgas? That's all I could smell last time I was around a few of them at the Island. Helicopter engine though...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts