Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was replacing the chain and sprocket tonight and had the rear wheel off to clean it. I wasn't able to move the wheel bearings at all, the bearing in the sprocket carrier was nice and smooth. No wear on the axle at all, so whats the thoughts?

If they are shot then that'll be the final straw the broke the camels back to get them powder coated. If that is normal then I'll leave it as, but still might powder coat them. I'm on the fence.

·
Super Moderator
11,901 Posts
The wheel bearings are loaded by a inner bearing spacer and will make it very hard to rotate them. When you tighten the axle it clamps down on this spacer and relieves the side loading on the bearings which makes them roll easier once the axle is tightened. Put the wheel down standing up and hold it between your legs, now stick a thumb from each hand inside the bearings on the corresponding sides and press down firmly and roll the wheel while by pushing against the bearings. They should roll smoothly but with a bit of resistance. As long as they're smooth they're fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts