Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tune ECU is a wonderful tool!

But the days of Vista left me without a Windows machine to support it... Without purchasing a new laptop or windows XP software, am I to assume relegation to Juice Boxes, PC's, and dealerships?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you could bootcamp or vmware fusion to emulate windows....
To the best of my knowledge, this still requires purchasing windows software... And from experience, I've had trouble with windows hardware interfacing with emulated windows software.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
bootcamp should be fine.....vmware you may have a problem with
bootcamp isn't emulating windows.

there are ways (google) you can get windows xp for little to nothing

·
Registered
601 Posts
if all you need it for is tune ecu, a stolen copy will do the trick, just every few weeks or so you have to get a new crack

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
just get a cheap used laptob from cregslist, ebay, freecycle etc......

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
you can map USB devices directly through to vmware guests, so you could do that or run bootcamp I guess.

You could also get one of those OBDII apps for iPhone if you have one, they pair with a bluetooth adapter which plugs directly into the diag port.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just get a cheap used laptob from cregslist, ebay, freecycle etc......
I'm going to look into this one. XP laptops are old enough that one might be had for a smile these days.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tune ECU is a wonderful tool!

But the days of Vista left me without a Windows machine to support it... Without purchasing a new laptop or windows XP software, am I to assume relegation to Juice Boxes, PC's, and dealerships?
You can try using CrossOver, which doesnt require a copy of windows, and may work fine with TuneECU. (theres no way to know unless you try unfortunately)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used my MacBook Pro in bootcamp with Windows 7 and TuneECU worked perfectly, didn't have the balls to try it in VMware though....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also use a macbook with VMware fusion since the 1.6 release and it works like a charm. Don't use parallels it seems they are some issues with usb hardware.

Thierry.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
i downloaded a free version of wondows vista premium and used it in bootcamp. just partitioned about 20 gigs of my HD and all worked perfectly.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I use Parallels and XP on my macbook and all works great. The only thing is I keep forgetting I have to download the tune in XP to use it. But it works great for me. And since I've "borrowed" all the software you can't go wrong. Torrent files FTW!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
you could bootcamp or vmware fusion to emulate windows....
yes, this is ideal. I have WinXP running inside VMware Fusion. TuneECU works fine, and the best part is my 11.6" macbook air fits in my toolbox!

·
Registered
402 Posts
You can try using CrossOver, which doesnt require a copy of windows, and may work fine with TuneECU. (theres no way to know unless you try unfortunately)
This is what I would have suggested. We brought a cheap laptop to run a windows program for the business. I got sick of all the typical windows crap that went on with it and put Crossover on to the intel mac.

Works perfect. In fact, the program works better on the mac since for some reason it would never update on the windows laptop. Ironic :smile:

And because you don't actually have a copy of windows installed on the mac you don't have to worry about dodgy virus crap etc.

If it's a pretty basic program Crossover would be the way. Cheaper too.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I've used the PowerCommander software on my Mac via VMWare Fusion runing Windows 7. No issues at all, the USB interface worked like a charm.

Can't see why the Triumph software wouldn't work the same. The OS just need to read the USB port, which is standard for keyboards and such.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Interesting. I tried using the PCIII software with BootCamp and it didn't work at first... I had to install all the apple drivers onto the bootcamp version of Windows before I could get it to recognize the USB ports.

I have a cheap laptop that I "inherited" from an old friend. I just wiped it with a clean copy of XP and that's all I use it for.

I just sold my PCIII.

I just bought a TuneECU cable on eBay, and I look forward to giving that software a shot..

Homer

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Pick up a copy of VMWare Fusion for under $100. You can run OSx and Windows at the same time, and click back and fourth. Much more versatile than Boot Camp, which was more of a 'proof of concept' than a real user solution.

You do need lots of RAM, which makes sense considering you're running two computers. i would say at least 4 gigs.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Pick up a copy of VMWare Fusion for under $100. You can run OSx and Windows at the same time, and click back and fourth. Much more versatile than Boot Camp, which was more of a 'proof of concept' than a real user solution.

You do need lots of RAM, which makes sense considering you're running two computers. i would say at least 4 gigs.
Or you can use VirtualBox for free and spend that money on a legal copy of windows.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts