Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone in the San Diego area that would be willing to help me drop an engine out of my 2007 in the next week or so? A case of homebrew or your favorite beverage awaits......

·
Registered
618 Posts
Anyone in the San Diego area that would be willing to help me drop an engine out of my 2007 in the next week or so? A case of homebrew or your favorite beverage awaits......
I would be more than happy to help you, could we change the case of beer for a return ticket to Australia?? ill bring tools?..

·
Registered
38 Posts
You don't really need help dropping the engine, it's getting it back in the frame that requires an extra set of hands! Honestly though, a scissor jack, some tie-downs and some 2x4s is almost as good as a helper, unless of course you're looking for someone with experience with such procedures. If that's the case you sould pick up a Haynes/Clymers/OE workshop manual if you haven't already. It'll have the steps outlined for you in a clear and concise fashion.

Good luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ari211, Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't even thought about the Haynes manual. I'll pick up a copy asap.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the haynes manual coming. In the meantime are there any special tools that I will need? I have the basic metric/standard sockets, allens, etc.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It is very easy to get a motor out and really not too bad to get it in alone........it does help to have someone there for about 10 min to get the bolts in. I used a ladder and some wood to raise the bike to give me clearance to get the small floor jack under the motor and raise it into place.....my wife helped me just steady the bike and motor as I raised it into place.....easy:grouphug2:

Triumph rebuild62.jpg

Triumph rebuild63.jpg

·
Registered
828 Posts
Ari211, Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't even thought about the Haynes manual. I'll pick up a copy asap.
I put the engine on back my self. But I will tell you its a pain in the ass...tooo much time consumed but I did it :nod:

I started off with this

to this...

now this...

mind you I never had any manual to follow, but I did have some issues when I got the bike running. One was the rpm read 0 for a little then after a few hours of it off it was back to normal reading around 1. Next thing I noticed is the cluster was reading MPH saying it was going 3 - 5 mph and I'm like wtf? So when I get time I'll look into it once the bikes fully complete...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Made some progress last night. Got most of the connections done. Probably going to try to drop the engine tonight.

I'll probably end up asking my fiance to help with a keeping it steady when I'm putting the new one in but if anyone wants to help it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
382 Posts
If I lived in the area would be happy to help, but it is a bit of a drive from Phx to SD !!!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Would help too but…

Auckland, NZ
San Diego, US
Miles:
Kilometers:
Bearing:
NW

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Kai,
You'll do fine with your fiance's help, plus she'll be super impressed that you're so macho and mechanically inclined. :nod: Another tip if I may offer one - use a digital camera to take pics of all the hose/electrical connections and routing. That way you'll have an easy reference when you go to put it all back together. I know when pulling stuff apart its easy to think "I'll remember this goes over that" but it's not!
Good luck man, take your time and think things through and you'll do fine.
Ari

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the advice and pointers. I ended up doing it myself last Friday. Took about 7 hours start to finish. I labeled both ends of all the wires and hoses I removed so it was very easy to get everything reconnected. Have a couple small issues but it seems to run well. The Haynes manual is a VERY good resource. You can see the manual sitting on the passenger seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
you're not selling your bike are you? There's a scorched yellow in San Marcos for sale and it comes with a "spare motor".....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think many found it hard because they didn't search and read for 2 weeks prior to doing it. If I was just reading the Haynes manual it would have been tough. But with the advice given here and by reading the older threads about it, I had a pretty good idea what I was getting myself into.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you're not selling your bike are you? There's a scorched yellow in San Marcos for sale and it comes with a "spare motor".....
It's possibly for sale. I found a 848 in Escondido and the price is really really tempting. Motor is no longer included. I'm just going to part the motor out. I still have the other 675 so I'm not going anywhere.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts