Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering ceramic brakes, but would like to know if anyone had less-than-obvious pros and cons. Yeah, I'm quite conscious it's probably pissing money away :whistle:

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ceramic, not carbon ;) They supposedly don't have that problem.

·
Registered
848 Posts
From what I've been told it's much easier to crack them in a crash. Why do you need them? Less weight or more braking power?

I just got a bremob RCS and wow! It's like throwing down anchors!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Im all about guys spending money on the mods they please, but I just dont see the reasoning behind such a mod for a street ridden bike. a bike used for competition thats a different story.

·
Super Moderator
11,901 Posts
From everything I've read the only real downfalls are price and manufacturer quality. You have to make sure you're buying real ceramic pads and that they are made right.

http://www.tuffy.com/maintenance-e-alerts/what-is-a-ceramic-brake-pad.html

But if you really want the best forget about the ceramic brake pads and get the ceramic matrix rotors. Jeff at BrakeTech developed these and everything he's said about them make me believe they are freaking awesome. If I had a job and some money I'd have them on my bike right now.

http://www.braketech.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=95

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The BrakeTechs are the ones I'm thinking about. I'm not even sure most racing series allow them, otherwise we'd probably see more of them. I don't need them, I just want them, hence my "pissing money away" remark. I'd be glad to have more braking power and predictability, but the most appealing feature is the unsprung (and rotating) weight, lighter wheels would probably be there later, too. I was quite aware of the pros / cons said up to here, but they're quite reassuring, as for crashes, I'm not sure a crash hard enough to break them wouldn't be enough to warp metal rotors beyond repair, but hey, their purpose is to avoid crashes !

Anyone for a GB ? :whistle:

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That'd be great, but I'm not even sure there might be enough interest yet. Any info is more than welcome, for example do they do rear rotors too ?

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
11,901 Posts
I talked to Jeff and the CMC rotors are unavailable at the moment. They are apparently in the process of updating and retooling all their manufacturing processes. So at the moment none of their rotors are available. They are planning on having the CMC rotors back in production in the late Spring early Summer time frame.

He didn't give me a price but I did ask again so if I hear anything more I'll let you know.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great info, thanks ! I guess we'll have to wait until then, that's gonna be hard :rofl: but it'll leave some time to save a decent budget :whistle:

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
I spoke with the US distributor, Motowheels, and they said BrakeTech do make them for the 675 and they're $2000 for the pair, but like MacBandit said they're not currently available. These rotors also take special Ferodo pads that are super expensive.

Smoke, I tried to do a group buy a couple months ago and not one single person would commit with me so nothing happened. Dollar for dollar (or Euro), carbon wheels would be much more efficient at losing unsprung mass than these rotors though. Are you still on stock wheels? Obviously, the rotors are closer to the hub than the wheel's rim, and the further out you drop weight the more performance you'll gain. I'm looking to get a pair of wheels then think about the rotors. Oh and no CMC rear rotor, but you can just send your stock one to a machine shop and they can play connect the dots and drop a pound.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, I'm still on stocks, and a bit worried about lighter wheels rim break stories :p I'm totally aware that they'd be far more efficient, but I also like the braking performance enhancements, and they'd come along the way, sometime. I guess having a part nearly no one has appeals to me, too, which is why I'd like to have all the rotors to be ceramic, including the rear, too. As for the Ferodo pads, well, they're not THAT much more expensive than new ones, compared to the rotors, lol, of course I'd wait for a replacement to be needed. Wait and see anyway.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
If you want better brakes, a radial master cylinder will do wonders. A Hell of lot cheaper too. Full floating rotors are also nice, especially irons. Of course, you can't run superstock with that set up.

The 675 has probably one of the best stock set ups out there; lots of guys race that way. I just changed my pads to a race compound just to get a more progressive feel. I found the stock pads to be amazing, but have a pretty hard initial bite.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Yep, I'm still on stocks, and a bit worried about lighter wheels rim break stories :p I'm totally aware that they'd be far more efficient, but I also like the braking performance enhancements, and they'd come along the way, sometime. I guess having a part nearly no one has appeals to me, too, which is why I'd like to have all the rotors to be ceramic, including the rear, too. As for the Ferodo pads, well, they're not THAT much more expensive than new ones, compared to the rotors, lol, of course I'd wait for a replacement to be needed. Wait and see anyway.
The pads are around $100 per caliper! Really really good Carbone Lorraine or Ferodo pads for OEM rotors are around $30 per caliper. The way I go through pads that would get expensive really fast.

I've been on Dymag magnesium rims for 2 years of track riding now. After 4 crashes, 2 of them pretty big, they're still perfect. Carbon is even stronger. My Dymags gave me much better braking as well as acceleration and turning, as there is less mass from the hub that has to be stopped/pushed, and carbon wheels would be even better. It's your money dude but the wheels are a better performance buy.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts