Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ,

Anyone purchased & using this brand of wheels/ rims : ARASHI. They are Chinese, but got whole bunch of certifications of quality, and seems selling many ..
I was just wondering.

Example here : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Front-Wheel-Rim-For-Triumph-Street-Triple-675R-2009-2012-Daytona-675-Motorcycle/282809774001?epid=2277789274&hash=item41d8c6afb1:g:YmEAAOSw-wJaG28m

( Considering my last Pirelli Diablo Rosso front purchased while I was living in Europe was actually made in China, and it worked fine, on race track too, how bad can these Chinese aftermarkets be ? .. )

· Registered
243 Posts
In the listing they are both aluminum alloy and magnesium alloy? I could make a certificate that states "I am ruler of the world" and post it online. Doesn't make it so. They would probably be fine but if they are not you will be in a world of hurt.

t_bare

· Registered
2,535 Posts
what's wrong with your wheels?

· Registered
2,535 Posts
I was looking at the same wheels to mount a set of rains on. I've been having a hard time finding OEM wheels.
they're all over ebay

· Registered
196 Posts
I'm gonna go ahead and tell you to run away from Ebay Chinese motorcycle wheels like a bag of cats running from the river. My experiences with Ebay parts extends to all kinds of things where I tried to save some money, and hand to god, every single time it was a mistake.

Ebay started as an easy way to get rid of things you didn't need anymore, now it really only exists to sell you cheap crap from China (because have fun with the return shipping) with slightly wrong specs and low-quality materials. OEM wheels tend to be around 5x stronger than aftermarket performance wheels from BBS/Enkei/APEX for example, and some aftermaket wheels are heavier while still being 5x less strong. So basically on a good day you find an aftermarket set in your price range that isn't from Ebay, and that's still usually a bad idea unless you're going to use it on closed road only.

· Registered
461 Posts
I'm gonna go ahead and tell you to run away from Ebay Chinese motorcycle wheels like a bag of cats running from the river. My experiences with Ebay parts extends to all kinds of things where I tried to save some money, and hand to god, every single time it was a mistake.

Ebay started as an easy way to get rid of things you didn't need anymore, now it really only exists to sell you cheap crap from China (because have fun with the return shipping) with slightly wrong specs and low-quality materials. OEM wheels tend to be around 5x stronger than aftermarket performance wheels from BBS/Enkei/APEX for example, and some aftermaket wheels are heavier while still being 5x less strong. So basically on a good day you find an aftermarket set in your price range that isn't from Ebay, and that's still usually a bad idea unless you're going to use it on closed road only.
You do realize there is a massive difference between cast and forged wheels right? Lots of OEM wheels are produced by BBS and Enkei. If you took a 20lbs cast and a 20lbs forged wheel the forged wheel is stronger. Forged parts are stronger then cast, which means you can make a forged wheel with less material to save weight. Forging also forces the grains to conform to the shape of the part making it able to hold higher stresses. The key is buying a high quality forged wheel.

If cast was better we would still be using cast pistons and not using forged ones.

· Registered
196 Posts
My real problem is just that Ebay has a pedigree of screwing over everyone as far as quality. Lots of OEM wheels are made at the same plants where BBS and Enkei and others are made, but that's not the same thing as BBS making them and really only comes down to the fact that the equipment is somewhat rare and expensive in the USA. Also keep in mind that metallurgically speaking it is definitely not that simple. I can forge anything out of Pakistani pot metal and slap a bunch of fake qualifications and specs on it from the other side of the world, that doesn't make it automatically higher strength just because it's forged. OEMs equip the vehicle with the best mix of liability relief in regards to strength and performance benefits, when you start swapping them out for "better" performance you inch closer to turning the bike into a doughnut factory in an uncontrolled environment. How many potholes and road imperfections do you have on your local track, how many curbs are there to hit?

All I'm saying is that Ebay motorcycle wheels seem about as smart as kissing a hooker on the mouth, yea you can do it and probably will be fine, but nobody should tell you it's a good idea. I had a buddy buy Chinese ebay tires a few months ago, his car drove at a slant and vibrated like a tractor— he got to work and all but he basically wasted the money he thought he was saving and then some.

· Registered
16 Posts
Reviving this dead thread. Hopefully this prevents more people from wasting time doing research about Arashi rims. NOT A SINGLE PERSON can vouch for them. I've read numerous other threads on several other forums and not a single person will pipe up. I kept seeing "I've heard of people using them for racing" or "so and so that I don't know personally used them with no issue." No first hand statements.

This guy had the balls to try them. Everything looked great at first but later comes to find out once the tire and rotors are mounted that the hub width from Arashi was oversized and unable fit between the forks.
I, too, was looking to mount some rain tires for track use. But given there's no history of success with these wheels, I wouldn't waste your time. Everyone that talks metallurgy is correct in that these are not as strong as OEM, and China's solution for weight savings just results in an inferior product. Until Arashi can provide unedited video of stress tests, and proper schematics I would consider these a dangerous investment. I can only assume people who have tried them are too ashamed that they wasted $500, or are dead from failure.

· Registered
1 Posts
To revive this thread again, about the video posted above... The guy who ordered the rims in the video ordered the wrong size rim. The rim he ordered was for a 2012-2015 Panigale front rim. The motorcycle he is trying to mount it on is NOT a panigale, therefore it is user error. I am not a shill for Arashi, just someone who is currently in the same boat as everyone in this thread. It is becoming increasingly hard to find NON-DAMAGED OEM rims, even on ebay. I plan on buying an Arashi front rim for my bike since I have been looking for over a month, and cant find a normal Ducati 899 front rim (I know this is a Triumph forum but its a similar circumstance). Considering there is extremely limited data on these rims, I will edit this with my experience when I decide to buy it. Hopefully this will end up helping some one who is researching these rims. In the video, the tech working on the actual rim said it seemed quality... That to me means more than the opinion of someone who cant even order the correct rim for their motorcycle... just my 2cents. Will keep yall posted. Happy 2023.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts