Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going in june. Bought my ticket along with my fiance... all our friends pussed out.

I'm actually really excited about it as I keep hearing it's not that stomach in your mouth feeling like roller coasters give you.. move of a just neautral feeling as you are falling...

Just wanted to see who's done it and what did you think.. Would you do it again..etc.

Anyone do it as a hobby?

-Nigel

·
Registered
712 Posts
ive been a couple times, here i dont know if up theres the same way, if you go you have to go tandem with an instructer attached. before you can go on your own you have to take all the classes, and do a certain amount of jumps in a certain amount of time.

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
I did it once and I was hooked. I even had plans to take it up as a hobby.

However this was almost 6 months prior to getting my Daytona. I know that had I not gotten a motorcycle I would be doing this like crazy.

I even had plans to get into it afterwards, but once I got into trackdays my $ went towards that instead of going towards skydiving.

Would I do it again?!? ABSOFUCKINLUTELY!!! Maybe if I get a better job that pays a lot to support both hobbies I'd definately do both.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It's a blast! Everyone should do it at least once, IMO. My wife and I went two summers ago ... technically for our 2nd Anniversary, but we were rained out that day and ended up returning a couple months later ... on my 30th bday!

Anyway, like you've heard it's certainly not the jerk you down / stomach in your throat feeling. And because you're so far above the ground, you really don't even get a good sense of the speed (other than the wind blast of course). It's really cool. I'd say the thing that surprised me the most was the temp. We jumped from somewhere between 13-14k feet, and despite the fact that it was a typical late July day in southern MS (temps mid to upper 90's on the ground), when they opened that door it was friggin COLD! They'd told us beforehand to make a real effort to BREATH as you're falling and they weren't kidding. We'd chuckled about that at first thinking, "how can anyone forget to breath???" I don't think it's forget so much as can't. Ever ridden your bike on a cold day and opened the visor on your helmet while travelling at a good clip? Cold air immediately sucks the wind out of your lungs ... same thing ... except ya can't close the visor, haha!

So yeah, you'll enjoy it. And if you're like us, you'll wish you could turn around and do it again. I can certainly see how it could be addictive, but until you're certified to jump yourself (and better yet, own and pack your own chute) the cost is prohibitive. :(

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Put in the hours years ago to do a jump ... got up in the air in the plane and the wind came up, so they aborted.

Re-booked ... same thing happened next weekend. Maybe I just wasn't meant to jump?

Not a hobby for the time-poor, so I haven't gotten around to it since. I think it'd be a blast, but I have to weigh the few minutes of actually doing it against the time spent getting to the site, getting ready, etc ... and I just can't justify it.

Maybe one day.

O.B

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
As all ready stated, its amazing to say the least. That first few seconds before terminal velocity are amazing.
EXACTLY...and when you're on the edge of the plane looking down. I told my tandem guy to do front flips out and we did...that was a total rush.

·
Registered
957 Posts
EXACTLY...and when you're on the edge of the plane looking down. I told my tandem guy to do front flips out and we did...that was a total rush.
+1 lol, mine did too. when the door opens and you look down 8.5k feet...its a little bit of a rush....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Before i got my bike, i was doing my testing/qualifying jumps towards my cert. YOU WILL GET HOOKED. If you tandem once, you will want to do it again. Once you do, then you will want to go solo... and so on and so forth.

All i really have to say is plan on at least going twice, as the first time you will be so amped up, you won't catch everything.

The last jump i did, i had a pretty knarly malfunction. It wasn't unrecoverable, but sure did put a lot of things into perspective. LISTEN TO YOUR INSTRUCTORS. What they tell you will SAVE YOUR LIFE.

Would i do it again... absolutely.

P.S. so far every girl i have dated, (and the one i eventually married) has jumped. only one has broken a bone doing it though.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Yup...

I got hooked on Skydiving back in 99... a friend was re-enlisting and got a HUGE bonus... he took a $1000 and his 10 closest friends with him to the drop zone. The DZ gave us a deal at $125 a piece, and since my buddy chipped in $100 bucks per person, I got my first jump(tandem) for only $25. We all had a great time. It was at a small DZ outside of Charleston SC.

Well the guy who re-enlisted never jumped again, my buddy Mike and I got hooked immediately. We spent the next few weekends there getting our A license (~20 jumps). After that it became an addiction. I bought gear(used) and did around 150 more jumps before I decided to ratchet it way back. So now I only jump a couple jumps a year, but I still love it and I still get an amazing rush every time...

I'm sure you'll love it, and yes it's more like flying than falling...(until you get to jump out of a balloon or a helicopter..).

Have fun..

-Brian

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I did it pretty seriously for about a year. But got caught up in roadracing and left it behind. Used to jump out of a small airport in Lisbon, MD about 1980 or so.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Going in june. Bought my ticket along with my fiance... all our friends pussed out.

I'm actually really excited about it as I keep hearing it's not that stomach in your mouth feeling like roller coasters give you.. move of a just neautral feeling as you are falling...

Just wanted to see who's done it and what did you think.. Would you do it again..etc.

Anyone do it as a hobby?

-Nigel
I see your in Va. I've never been where are you going and if you mind whats the $$? I was going to do it last dec in florida, but my friends didnt have the $$

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
being a pilot I have had the chance a few times to step out of a perfectly good aircraft, even a few that I took off......

All I got to say is its a rush, a relaxsation, and a great way to add something to your life.

it is like a tatto though, you can't just have one and it always nags at your wallet to get/go again.....

Do rest up and be ready to listen the day you go! nothing WORSE then a tired, non sober idiot making a fool of himself on jump day and getting cut for safety reasons

used to jusm at skydive sebastian all the time when I lived there and also have jumped at about 5 other spots

let us know if youre first jump is a 'night jump' ok!>?!

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have gone...only once, but it was amazing. The silence when the chute opens, is surreal

Definitley think it's something everyone should do.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yea it's a laugh, my instructor was a little bit nuts too!
"Whatever happens, you'll stop when you get to the ground."
My wife would kill me if I went up again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts