Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering taking my calipers and forks apart to get them coated in a different color. Anybody here that have done that? How much of a pain was it? Can the fork seal be re-used, or should I just plan on getting new ones? What about the brake calipers? Just a matter of getting the cylinders and seals out? Input, feedback please.....

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
i dont know about forks but the fork seals are cheap enough so you should replace them while you're at it. i took my calipers apart for powdercoating by njcustom. pretty simple. i used compressed air to pop out the pistons. works great. there are also small rubber o rings between the two halves from what i remember so keep an eye out for those. try not to get brake fluid on them after the painting/coating. it eats it really quick. use a torque wrench.

·
Registered
631 Posts
DO NOT STICK YOUR HAND IN THE CALIPERS TO CATCH THE PISTONS!!!
As funny as I would find it, it can break fingers.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking about a pearl orange powdercoating.....the shop that is doing my bike, said they can do pretty much any color, only question is thickness. They were concerned about the fact that the pearl is basically 3 coats.....that it might get too thick. Whereas a flat black poly would be very thin, and extremely durable. Holds up better than any anodizing.

Very similar to this.....

Race Tech can hard anodize fork tubes, so they should be able to advise on taking your forks apart.

http://www.race-tech.com/HTML_FILES/HARDANODIZE.HTML

I hope you're planning on coating them an obnoxious over-the-top blingy color! :cool2:

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
You could ask the coater how many mils it will be.
Doubt any issues with the calipers (assuming you tape off everything and remove the seals) but getting the forks back in the tripple may be interesting, especially without destroying the powder coat on them.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I am afraid of. One solution would be machining a couple of thou' out of the yokes.

You could ask the coater how many mils it will be.
Doubt any issues with the calipers (assuming you tape off everything and remove the seals) but getting the forks back in the tripple may be interesting, especially without destroying the powder coat on them.

·
Registered
197 Posts
pics when done please. Looking forward to it:)

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Whereas a flat black poly would be very thin, and extremely durable. Holds up better than any anodizing.
I'll put hard-anodizing up against any powdercoat. The stuff is used on all manner of military weaponry. I've seen 40 year old hard anodizing that looks great, even after all the years of use/abuse by careless soldiers.

It's a much better finish for forks, as it only adds a couple thousandths to the surface, does not flake or chip, and is maintenance-free. "commoto" had his forks done.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hey did you ever get your parts back? I am thinking about doing this and would love to see pictures! cost? etc...!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yepp....got it all done. I ordered replacement fork seals, etc. from bikebandit. Don't remember the cost. Then I powdercoated the forks, calipers, frame, etc. If you look at the BOTM for November....you'll see the end result. I powdercoated a lot....and it all came to about $900. That was with custom colors...not just flat black. If it wasn't for the funky colors, it probably would've been $500-600.

Hey did you ever get your parts back? I am thinking about doing this and would love to see pictures! cost? etc...!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Do i have to disassembly my calipers in order to traditional painting?

I dont want powder coat, too expensive... will paint my wheels and calipers with naval painting.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do i have to disassembly my calipers in order to traditional painting?

I dont want powder coat, too expensive... will paint my wheels and calipers with naval painting.
Shouldn't be necessary if you are using spray paint. Just make sure they are clean, they scuff them lightly to help the paint stick.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts