Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '11 Daytona SE. I lowsided it last October, and spent the winter fixing it back up. On this model, the R/R is underneath the right hand cockpit inlay panel and secured to the fairing. I had it removed for months while I fixed the bike.

Once I rebuilt the bike and started riding it again, I noticed an occasional burning smell from that area when stopped. I sniffed around the bike to try and pinpoint it, but it was too intermittent to find. Basic visual inspections didn't uncover any clues either. Decided not to worry about it.

2 weeks ago I started driving it to work, and I noticed the bike sounded NOTICEABLY different. Much more of a whine / whistle than the bike had before when twisting the throttle (even in neutral). Combined with the burning smell, I decided I'd better leave the bike at home, so I went and parked it. Some research on the noise led me to this thread: Whistle/Whine
Everyone else around the forum/internet said the noise was normal, this thread was the only one that mentioned that the sound went away after finding/fixing a melted R/R connector. My connector looked OK at a glance, but when looking more closely and de-pinning it that one connector was arcing/eating away the metal, and another had a bit of corrosion. Between these two wires, the entire thing was getting stupidly hot (including the wires and R/R). The plastic connector housing itself was completely undamaged.

I tried a few temp solutions, crappy automotive connectors with heatshrink (didn't look solid enough), tried soldering (too heavy of a gauge wire to do a good job, and in an awkward spot), and then eventually broke down and bought a new connector. I was going to just buy new pins for the original connector, but due to changes to shipping policies, the shipping was going to be as much as a Delphi Metri-pack 630 (which is probably overkill, but oh well).

Installed the new connector, which is waterproof unlike the original connector. The original connector on my bike was fine for a long time, but I suspect that a bit of corrosion from sitting around unplugged, plus perhaps it wasn't properly seated upon reinstalling, plus it was over 10 years old to start with is what did it in.

The louder whistle/whine noise is now gone, the entire cable stays a reasonable temperature, and no more burning smell :)
The exhaust note sounds slightly different too, which I find expecially interesting. This probably means the sound had slowly been changing for some time as this connection degraded, and I never noticed. Interesting that increased resistance in the electrical wiring could affect the spark...

Pics of the damage:
Automotive tire Finger Gas Vehicle brake Thumb

Purple Finger Office supplies Thumb Violet



Hope this helps someone in the future. Daytonas whine, but if you notice a distinct change in sound, check this connector.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
No question it's a good idea to change that plug (not overkill at all IMO). I'm not a fan of the unsealed spade connectors that most OEMs use . I'm interested to hear your longer-term results.

I recently ran new wiring directly from the stator to the R/R on my track 2011 R and soldered all connections because I didn't want to deal with another melted plug (had 2 melted OEM plugs). On mine the OEM wire insulation very rigid from overheating and copper had rainbow-ish coloring a few inches up both sides of the plug by the R/R.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd say go ahead and assume that if I don't update this thread, it means everything is still going strong. My original connector was (I guess surprisingly) good for 11 years, and the new metri-pack is way more heavy duty, large, solid and waterproof) so I can't imagine having issues.

An important note though, since I have seen some reports of people still having issues on other models of bikes despite upgrading this connection - just because you bought the right connector doesn't mean you'll have a good connection. It is extremely important to strip and crimp the wire correctly. If you strip the wire and accidentally nick/cut any strands of wire, this will increase resistance. If you don't get a proper crimp, this will increase resistance. If you don't properly crimp the rear support tangs onto the insulation, you risk the connection loosening over time. In the vast majority of cases this doesn't matter, but since this connection is so high amperage and already pushing the limits of the wiring, anything less than perfect will increase resistance and shorten the life of the connection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for sharing this! My Daytona changed tone recently. I'll have to investigate the connector!
Glad it (might) help!
There are certainly a few other possibilities. I also noticed a sound change when I swapped spark plugs (probably not your issue) and when my exup valve jammed (which is an exceedingly common failure if you somehow didn't already know)
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top