Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read everything I can find on the $hitty Daytona exhaust valve. But I haven't read about anyone's valve who is doing what mine's doing...

As usual, my bike is throwing a CEL and tune ecu is telling me its the exhaust valve. However, when I took off my fairings and watched the valve actuate, everything seems to be fine. The valve is not seized, it is opening fully and rests in the fully closed state. Also, I know from service records that the dealership "fixed" it about 2 years ago when the previous owner had it.

When I flip on the ignition, it tries (successfully) to open the valve 3 times. Then the servo makes this buzzing sound, and it gives up. Video of my bike trying to start up:

Heres a video of what my bikes doing (i can't get it to embd =/)

Do you guys have any idea what could be wrong here?

· Registered
321 Posts
sounds like the cables/ valve is out of adjustment. I just sent mine to the dealer for the same thing. Ill post up what they said it was when I get the bike back.

· Registered
201 Posts
I've read everything I can find on the $hitty Daytona exhaust valve. But I haven't read about anyone's valve who is doing what mine's doing...

As usual, my bike is throwing a CEL and tune ecu is telling me its the exhaust valve. However, when I took off my fairings and watched the valve actuate, everything seems to be fine. The valve is not seized, it is opening fully and rests in the fully closed state. Also, I know from service records that the dealership "fixed" it about 2 years ago when the previous owner had it.

When I flip on the ignition, it tries (successfully) to open the valve 3 times. Then the servo makes this buzzing sound, and it gives up. Video of my bike trying to start up:

Improper cable slack will cause this. If it is a 2012 or previous daytona just disable the damn thing in tune ecu and take the servo off and put it on the shelf of parts that are not to see the light of day again.

· Registered
4,466 Posts
On the 13+'s are you just stuck with the Exup Valve without getting it tuned by a dealer? Will the Bazzaz or PC5 give you the option to clear the Exup valve CEL?
I think you will still need a servo buddy to eliminate the CEL from removing the EXUP. Or load the Arrow full system tune.

EDIT: Sorry I meant to reply to OP also. That sounds like cable slack. I can't remember what the spec cable slack is for the pre-13 models but iirc it's between 10-14mm but someone please confirm this for me and the OP.

· Registered
510 Posts
I think you will still need a servo buddy to eliminate the CEL from removing the EXUP. Or load the Arrow full system tune.

EDIT: Sorry I meant to reply to OP also. That sounds like cable slack. I can't remember what the spec cable slack is for the pre-13 models but iirc it's between 10-14mm but someone please confirm this for me and the OP.
Does the dealer have the ability to load the arrow full system tune?

How do these bikes get tuned on the dyno's. Special software?

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bikes a 2010.

I was reading about just removing the servo and disabling the valve, and there seems to be much unknown about if it affects your bike or not. Either way, just because I'm anal like that, I'd like to keep the valve on the bike.

What I don't understand is, if the valve is opening and closing fully, then what does the cable slack have to do with anything? What about improper slack i the cable would make the bike unhappy?

· Registered
201 Posts
The bikes a 2010.

I was reading about just removing the servo and disabling the valve, and there seems to be much unknown about if it affects your bike or not. Either way, just because I'm anal like that, I'd like to keep the valve on the bike.

What I don't understand is, if the valve is opening and closing fully, then what does the cable slack have to do with anything? What about improper slack i the cable would make the bike unhappy?
There was a dyno curve on this forum somewhere that showed the difference. It was negligible.

· Premium Member
11,904 Posts
Removal is all very well documented. The result is a low midrange flat spot until you get the bike properly tuned. Once tuned you'll have better power and throttle control then ever before.

The actuator measures load as well as range so if the valve is sticking it will know and send a code. If the cables are loose or too tight it will throw a code as well because the acuator is exceeding the measured load or not achieving any. This is all to ensure the actuator doesn't damage itself.

· Registered
321 Posts
After having the bike for a week the dealer finally called. They are going to replace the cables and actuator. Probably wont see the bike for another week. I think next time this happens, its getting pulled.......

· Registered
4,466 Posts
After having the bike for a week the dealer finally called. They are going to replace the cables and actuator. Probably wont see the bike for another week. I think next time this happens, its getting pulled.......
You CAN pull it but I wouldn't recommend it. It's detailed in another thread about the issues with not leaving it on. Check the 2013 Dayton issues thread for what I'm talking about. I'm not the only one that had an issue after I took the motor off. Even with the ESRM-2 or Servo Buddy, people had issues.

· Registered
321 Posts
You CAN pull it but I wouldn't recommend it. It's detailed in another thread about the issues with not leaving it on. Check the 2013 Dayton issues thread for what I'm talking about. I'm not the only one that had an issue after I took the motor off. Even with the ESRM-2 or Servo Buddy, people had issues.
It would get tuned out.

· Registered
334 Posts
I'm not sure, but from op's posts, it seems like he doesn't realize that the servo is separate from the valve. The cables go up to the valve under the black cover. Take the cover off, and see if the cable is broke there. Or readjust according to service manual. It's not hard. I even replaced the cable with bicycle brake cable. More flexible and less likely to get stuck again.

Or... Let the dealer rip you off?

· Registered
260 Posts
Ya it seems under acceleration the throttle gets jumpy and the bike gets confused around 6k. I ordered the ESRM-2 then did research. I decided to not delete the valve and just wait till I get a full system and tune….Ill use it then. I haven't heard of any issue on the older gens though I haven't specifically been looking. If I was the OP I would probably have just removed it.

· Registered
5 Posts

Sorry for reviving an old thread but did you get to fix this issue? My bike is behaving exactly the same. It randomly fixes itself (servo motor only cycles once) but the following day, it restarts doing the same thing.

When the valve remains open, the power difference is barely noticeable (but its there). However, there's noticeably more engine braking with the exup working properly.

Did the new actuator/servo motor fix the issue?

· Super Moderator
3,997 Posts
Sorry for reviving an old thread but did you get to fix this issue? My bike is behaving exactly the same. It randomly fixes itself (servo motor only cycles once) but the following day, it restarts doing the same thing.

When the valve remains open, the power difference is barely noticeable (but its there). However, there's noticeably more engine braking with the exup working properly.

Did the new actuator/servo motor fix the issue?
Use the search. The subject is well documented. Either remove it or replace it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts