Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is a sort of mixed maintenance/mod question. My bike, like seemingly every other Daytona on the planet, has been having the random CEL due to the EXUP servo malfunction.

So my debate is between adjusting the cables which I could figure out how to do with a little help -- or binning the thing altogether.

If I bin it, I wouldn't cut it out or anything, but just remove the servo and let the spring hold it open. If I do that though, I'm looking for some advice from someone who's done it regarding what changes I should make to the fueling to accomodate the change.

I was thinking like a 5% increase below 6500K as a baseline - but I really have no idea.

I'm looking for thoughts from the braintrust on this one...

sassafras

·
Registered
91 Posts
Im in exactly the same boat. I assumed that my EXUP was jammed, although I just pulled it all of and it was moving fairly freely. So does that mean its a servo malfunction. It makes a load of noise when I turn it on and off trying to get into place... Then my light remains on...

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just want to bin the thing, but I know it's there for a reason.

I know JD from Hordpower had to bump up the fueling on the lower RPMs to correct for the lack of the EXUP.

sassafras

·
Registered
51 Posts
i found myself in this situation, the bloody thing has thrown the CEL 3 times in the last 3 months, so annoying, ive just been lubiing it up and the light went away soon after. the only reason i was hesitant about binning the damn thing is the loss of any torque at the bottom of the rev range that is damn near perfect. i figured;if it rides alright with the exup disabled, i will rip it out. so anyway disabled it with tune ecu, and the good news is i couldnt feel any real difference. the servo and exup bits have been ripped off now for good measure. i cleared the error codes with tune ecu and dont expect to seem the CEL here on (fingers crossed):thumbup:

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have binned it (EXUP) on 3 bikes now. 2 mine and 1 for a mate.

I can honestly say I have felt no difference when riding the bike at all.

All I did was change the tune with Tune edit so the bike knew the valve was removed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-stroke_power_valve_system

Unless you are chasing 10ths on a track I can't see that it is realyl going to make a difference whether you have it in or not.

·
BOTM Marshall
3,511 Posts
I have binned it (EXUP) on 3 bikes now. 2 mine and 1 for a mate.

I can honestly say I have felt no difference when riding the bike at all.

All I did was change the tune with Tune edit so the bike knew the valve was removed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-stroke_power_valve_system

Unless you are chasing 10ths on a track I can't see that it is realyl going to make a difference whether you have it in or not.
Triumph states that it isn't their for performance, ONLY for noise emissions standards

·
Registered
256 Posts
when i removed mine the sound improved tremendously, sounded much better at the low RPM's, but immediately noticed a good amount of low end torque lost, so if you are going to toss it, I highly recommend a tune

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when i removed mine the sound improved tremendously, sounded much better at the low RPM's, but immediately noticed a good amount of low end torque lost, so if you are going to toss it, I highly recommend a tune
That's sort of my point.

For those who are saying it does nothing, it's not really what I want to debate. I have done enough research to know that it's not 'necessary' but the stock tune relies on it's presence. As such, without a bit of tune modification, removing it does result in some loss of low end power. It's been proven unequivocally and isn't really worth debating.

What I'm really asking is if someone knows where I should begin when adjusting the tune to compensate. I'm sure dyno time is the best answer, but I suspect it's not a terribly complicated compensation to bring the results 'in the ballpark' with having to spend a lot of time on the dyno.

sassafras

1 - 11 of 11 Posts