Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to start yet another of these, but I've been struggling with this for at least six months, I think I've finally eliminated most of the possibilities, and now I could use some advice. My 08 Stripple with the 3-1 Arrow (wrecked and cut off for inadvertent custom megaphone, loud pipes save lives, but make for half-deaf riders) and Arrow tune began having intermittent problems with stalling at idle, (stop-lights, heavy traffic) after a few months, that problem fixed itself and hasn't come back :noclue:. . . A few weeks later the bike began having a no-start issue, The instrument panel would turn on, but I wouldn't even get a click from the starter relay when I hit the button. I thought it might be the R/R, so I began taking my trickle charger to work and leaving it plugged in until I was ready to go home. This worked sometimes, other times I could leave the bike in gear and bump the motor then and she'd start just fine. This just got worse until NOTHING would make her turn. So I began troubleshooting, the tip over switch checks out on TuneEcu, the clutch switch checks out with an ohm-meter and on TuneEcu, as does the side stand switch. The kill switch and starter switch test out ok, and I get continuity and clicks through all the relays when I pull and check them with the battery. I tested everything on the bars. I couldn't find any fault or indication of where the problem is until I decided to jump direct from pin 3 to pin 5 of the starter circuit relay connector with the relay pulled, she fired right up. . . My thought is that this means no power to the coil inside the relay, either through a faulty wire, (Red-White to start switch, or Yellow-Brown to ECU) or a faulty ECU. Can anyone suggest other components to troubleshoot or see a solution that I missed? I don't wanna ghetto-rig a switch to the relay, I'd rather have it right. Also I'm on an island with no dealership, and I don't feel like spending the extra 1K to ship her to Oahu and back.

·
Super Moderator
11,901 Posts
So here's the thing. Even if the relay wasn't getting signal the bike would still bump start. Your saying it doesn't bump start any more.

Let's assume that it is an ECU signal issue. The ECU needs a signal from the starter button. have you done a continuity test on the starter button.

Finally just because a relay clicks does not mean it is actually closing the circuit. You have to activate the relay then perform a continuity or even better check voltage across the relay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Instead of bump starting her, I took a piece of wire and bridged the pins in the female connector for the relay, she fired right up. The starter button has continuity and so does the relay when I put direct power across it and put the multimeter on the pins that I bridged to start her.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
You both sound like you understand electrics very well and I most certainly do not. But just want to throw this in there as it's an easy fix. Have you tried a known good battery as these bikes are very fickle if the battery isn't good? If you're still on the OE battery I'd say it may be past its best now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Haven't checked the voltage yet, I'll do that today, thanks. It's a new battery, fully charged on a trickle charger for days, and when I bypass to crank her, she cranks over as strong as the day I got her from the dealership.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Haven't checked the voltage yet, I'll do that today, thanks. It's a new battery, fully charged on a trickle charger for days, and when I bypass to crank her, she cranks over as strong as the day I got her from the dealership.
:thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts