Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, let me apologize in advance, I realize this is a ridiculously open ended question, but let me throw it out there.

So, my Daytona was stolen and recovered, but it looks like it's going to be totaled, so I'm starting to look around for a new bike. I've got a 05 R6 track bike (and maybe a new 675 track bike...), so the replacement will be strictly for street use. I've always been a sport bike owner (GSXR 750, stolen, Daytona 675, stolen....I know, I'm moving before I get the new bike...), but am wondering about changing it up. I LOVE the Ducati Sport Classic 1000, but you can't find them for sale anywhere, have considered the Speed Triple, just not real sure where I want to go.

Any recommendations? Again, I'd like it to still be pretty powerful, and I don't like the straight cruiser look (guy was trying to talk me into a massive Victory, ummmm, no thanks...), but the cafe racer or naked has some appeal (although the Thruxton just doesn't do it for me).

Anyone have thoughts/recommendations from personal experience? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Options...here are my 2 cents
The speed triple was fantastic when I rode it...I'd go with a 2010 just because of the lights though

In the category of the Thruxton was terrible...soggy suspension and slow.
GT1000 seems like a lot of fun...even if hard to find. I also like the Moto Guzzi V7...not as quite fast but cool style, cheap and super reliable/low maintenance.

The naked uprights are fun and I good time. I have a buell lightning that I cruise around town...old tech but fun and comfy.
My roomate has the Monster 1100 and Aprilia Tuono. Monster feels slow and vibrates a ton at higher rpm (even compared to my buell) The aprilia is awesome fun (feels very fast, gobs of torque) and super comfy, even on long rides.

I've got a strange spot in my heart for the Honda 919 (aka hornet). They stopped making them in 2009 (I think) but there are a ton of new ones still at Honda dealerships.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
and that gsxr and daytona were stolen in less then a year! :whistle:

lol, i looove that ducati sport classic, but like you said, you cant find them really in atlanta. a cafe would be great fun on the street. really you just have to get into some dealerships and sit on a few of the different options and see what you prefer.

Striples, sport classics, tuonos, even brutales, you cant go wrong with any of em.

good luck phil, and lock the new bike up nice and tight :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
What about a Street Triple R? Naked, more upright, just as powerful as your Daytona, looks good, same good suspension (not the Speed Triple's not so good suspension) etc.

·
Banned
941 Posts
What about a Street Triple R? Naked, more upright, just as powerful as your Daytona, looks good, same good suspension (not the Speed Triple's not so good suspension) etc.
+100000

I have a similar background as you. Only rode sportbikes, but was sick of them getting stolen. I ended up getting a Street Triple R, threw some clip-ons on it, and I have no regrets.

Riding around flashy/full-fairing sportbikes, you cant help but get noticed. On top of that, they are more popular so it's easy for someone to steal a sportbike and part it out. The Striple gives you all the riding joys of having a sportbike, but you don't have to worry as much about attracting attention and getting it stolen. They are also a more rare than GSXRs and Yammie R6s, so it would probably be less likely that a thief would want to steal your ride. Last but not least, the crowd that rides striple appears to be more mature (has nothing to do with age, but mental maturity) and would probably not purchase stolen goods and discourage thieves yet again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks EVERYONE!!!!! Keep it coming!

FYI, the GT1000 I can find, what I prefer is the Sport Classic 1000 (not the GT or S versions) - it's got a rear seat cover and slightly different styling from the GT (embarrassingly it's in the new Tron movie, so if you google Tron Ducati you can see it, definitely a little different from the GT version).

Really appreciate the recommendations, now I've got some bikes to investigate!!!!

And yeah, Louie, I'm looking to move someplace where I can have a garage (hard to find because I'd like to move to the Midtown area in Atlanta), but I also think switching away from the sportbikes might help in that regard (to Daken's point).

I'll spend some time taking a look at the other bikes mentioned here (Hornet, Super Duke, Tuono, Striple R) and like someone said, I just need to get out and start sitting on them (although easier for the new ones, not so easy for used ones...)

THanks again everyone, and if anyone else has any other thoughts, please keep them coming!!!!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
the ducati streetfighter is another alternative. those are awesome bikes.

check out that BMW husqvarna Ducati dealership in marietta, they may have a few options.

http://www.bmwmcoa.com/

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've had an Aprilia Tuono as my street bike for the last 8 years and I still have yet to find anything that does everything as well as the old thunderbike. After all this time it still makes me laugh like an idiot every time I take her out for a ride.:nod: Take one out for a spin - you won't regret it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Ducati Diavel is growing on me its weird looking, but I'm gonna try and test ride one this summer.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
The 2011 Speed Triple is supposed to be closer to a Street R than a 2010 Speed Triple in handling.

Kevin Ash is near a living legend, his bike reviews are pretty brutal if he doesn't like what he finds.

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/triumph-speed-triple-2011

·
Registered
249 Posts
My buddy has a ducati you are talking about! Since these pictures, he has installed the Termignoni Exhaust. It sounds and look bad ass!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts