Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of years ago I stopped racing but I guess it's never out of the system. So at the end of last year I picked up a 675 to put on the track. I'm the co-owner at Sportbike Track Gear so it made sense for me to get my butt back out on the track! This is my fifth Triumph so it was great to come back to a great brand.

Buying a brand new bike and putting tens of thousands of dollars in it to build a race bike is a great way to do it. I decided to start with a salvage bike and do it on a budget like most of us in the real world AND I wanted to do it myself at home in the garage.

Over the next few weeks I will be posting photos of the bike and the things I have done to build a great, affordable and fun bike.

If anyone has any questions or suggestions feel free to post or PM me.

Here are a couple of photos of the bike as I got it.

Looks pretty good from this side:

Note the motor - ooops

Here's a close up - yes, it needs a new motor. Look where the head joins the block

Thanks for looking - more to come

Its first ride is at Barber next month.

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
Eric, no motor needed.. Triumph's buff right out! :whistle: Really looking forward to watching this process. Keep us posted. :cool2:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The first step was to strip down the bike, drop the motor and clean, clean, clean. Salvage bikes come pretty dirty after sitting in a storage yard for a while.

I also removed the swing arm and cleaned the bearings, etc. Now is the time to do it while the bike is apart. It sure works well now.

I couldn't wait to install the Ohlins TTX shock assy. Just had to see the gold in place!

Next, get the motor installed.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I think the stock frame looks really good. It's clean and there are only a very few minor scratches. I'm spending money on the stuff that will make it handle and run better. Is there a particular reason you say powder coat it?
Unless you want a showcase for your business, I'd say stick to the stuff that will make it go faster (suspension, etc) and don't spend money on stuff you don't need, like powder coating the frame! It's a track bike. A few battle scars have much more kudos.

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
Unless you want a showcase for your business, I'd say stick to the stuff that will make it go faster (suspension, etc) and don't spend money on stuff you don't need, like powder coating the frame! It's a track bike. A few battle scars have much more kudos.
Says the guy who.. :biggrinjester:

(I agree, your racing! Take care of performance first.. if you have some left over THEN you can make it pretty)

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Looking forward to future work on this bike!

And yeah, odds are money would be better spent on suspension and whatnot, but if you're feeling sassy and really want to stand out, powdercoating the frame would certainly be interesting, haha. I know a color scheme a lot of people have wondered about but no one has ever done is an all red frame with black bodywork.

...but you said you weren't thinking of doing it to begin with, so who cares, haha.

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
Er, am I missing something about me I don't know? :noclue:
Haha, I imagine Al and I are on the same page in thinking that you go all out on your bikes and making sure that they are just as perfect cosmetically as they are in performance. :thumbup:

No insults intended, just poking fun at you for being very good at making bikes look very good. :cool:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Haha, I imagine Al and I are on the same page in thinking that you go all out on your bikes and making sure that they are just as perfect cosmetically as they are in performance. :thumbup:

No insults intended, just poking fun at you for being very good at making bikes look very good. :cool:
I certainly didn't think you were insulting me. Yes I do like my road bikes to look good. But you haven't seen my race bike. That, I can assure you, is far from perfect cosmetically. She looks fine if you stand about 5 metres away from her though! :laugh:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.