Triumph 675 Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
hmmmmmm mydealer told me otherwise but if thats the case thats great news I wonder if the 09-10 models NEW style clocks will work for the 06-08? anyone have a comparison of the Plugs on the Back?

·
Registered
464 Posts
hmmmmmm mydealer told me otherwise but if thats the case thats great news I wonder if the 09-10 models NEW style clocks will work for the 06-08? anyone have a comparison of the Plugs on the Back?

Sorry but I have to throw out a correction: the 09 models DID NOT receive the externally updated dash, unless I am completely misinformed. All photos I have seen of them shows the dash that looked like the 06-08 dash. Even some of the 2010 models didn't receive this new externally updated dash.

I have been told by Triumph USA CS that the 2009 dash, although the same externally, is internally different and therefore if you have an 09 bike, the dash from an 06-08 model will not work for you (this is perhaps the problem I'm running into. I've ordered a new ECU to see if it's the problem and will post up my results pending its arrival.)

·
Registered
464 Posts
What sort of news does the OP have after calling and speaking with Triumph?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sorry for the late reply, i chucked that triumph in the corner of the workshop and forgot all about it.

I spoke with triumph uk, and got a mate with the triumph tune thing to have a look at the bike. The definitive answer is, the bike needs the correct clocks to run, you can't unlock the clocks off a different series to run on your bike. eg street triple to daytona. They have a different ecu and the clocks will only work with the same series ecu.

I dismantled my two sets of clocks to compare, the boards are the same and have the same part numbers.
The only chip i can see that's different is an eprom looking blue chip with joseph and some numbers on it, i assume this is the cause of the problems. I considered just swapping it over to the other board to see what happened but instead I unsoldered the lcd screens and analogue tacho off the daytona clocks and soldered them onto the street triple board and it works perfectly.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, i chucked that triumph in the corner of the workshop and forgot all about it.

I spoke with triumph uk, and got a mate with the triumph tune thing to have a look at the bike. The definitive answer is, the bike needs the correct clocks to run, you can't unlock the clocks off a different series to run on your bike. eg street triple to daytona. They have a different ecu and the clocks will only work with the same series ecu.

I dismantled my two sets of clocks to compare, the boards are the same and have the same part numbers.
The only chip i can see that's different is an eprom looking blue chip with joseph and some numbers on it, i assume this is the cause of the problems. I considered just swapping it over to the other board to see what happened but instead I unsoldered the lcd screens and analogue tacho off the daytona clocks and soldered them onto the street triple board and it works perfectly.
Just to clarify, you now have a Daytona tach on your Street Triple cluster? Have you checked the accuracy of the tach? Do the shift lights still work correctly?

Is love to have the daytona tach on my streety...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Everything works perfectly, i have the streety pcb in the daytona case using the daytona clock face and screens.
The daytona shows a red line at 14k rather than the 13k of the streety, but this is just printing and it still works the same way the streety did. I hope this makes sense.

The reason i did this is because I couldn't get the needle off the daytona clock face to dismantle the assembly and the lcd is integral to the clock face assembly so I had to transfer the whole lot to the streety pcb. Again, I hope this makes sense.

I think the daytona clocks look much better than the streety ones.

It wasn't difficult, took a couple of hours.

·
Registered
473 Posts

was going to get one of these from t3 racing but might try to find a used dash now! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2012 Triumph Street Triple 675 R
4 Posts
I know this thread is 10 years old, and I apologize in advance is resurrecting an old thread is considered bad form. I also know that some of the main contributors to the thread have not logged in for years either.

However, there is good info in this thread and my though is that it's more valuable to continue adding more details rather than create a new thread and spread the info around.

My story: I have a crashed '12 Street Triple with a broken LCD screen. The bike starts and runs, so the main cluster PCB seems OK, only issue is that no info can be displayed on the LCD section. I have located another '12 cluster that came from a working bike.
I'm going to see if I can get lucky and simply swap clusters, but I am not expecting to get away with such a simple fix.
My next step would be to try the LCD transplant, but I am no electronics whizz and not entirely certain what pins are involved in this transplant. 'Googled' like crazy and I'm not finding any helpful info on this transplant process.

Just looking to see if anyone can add any more useful info to this collection of tid bits....

·
Registered
741 Posts
Just looking to see if anyone can add any more useful info to this collection of tid bits....
Daytona Gen1 and Gen2 clusters can be swapped as long as you stay within their respective generations. For example, Gen2 ECU and Gen1 cluster NO GO. Not sure about if you can mix ST and Daytona clusters and ECUs though.

The ECU communicates with the cluster via CAN bus. The ECU checks for a certain signature from the cluster to verify it is compatible.

Daytona Gen3 ECUs and clusters have a more sophisticated mechanism to prevent swapping.

·
Registered
2012 Triumph Street Triple 675 R
4 Posts
Daytona Gen1 and Gen2 clusters can be swapped as long as you stay within their respective generations. For example, Gen2 ECU and Gen1 cluster NO GO. Not sure about if you can mix ST and Daytona clusters and ECUs though.

The ECU communicates with the cluster via CAN bus. The ECU checks for a certain signature from the cluster to verify it is compatible.

Daytona Gen3 ECUs and clusters have a more sophisticated mechanism to prevent swapping.
Appreciate the input. From what I've read to date, the Daytona cluster on the Street is a no-go. Need to stick with a Street cluster for any chance of plug-n-play, and then it supposedly needs to be in the same VIN range.

My goal is get a used cluster and hope to get lucky with a plug-n-play solution. But, I'm prepared to not be so lucky, and then the next thing to try would be to unsolder the good LCD screen and transplant it to my current cluster PCB.

Failing that, I'm facing a possible new cluster....:rolleyes:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts