Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I've bought a street triple with the lcd's broken on the gauge cluster.
I got another set off eebay and put them on today, but the bike won't start. everything lights up as you would expect but the engine won't turn over. the engine light flashes all the while.

If i put the old clocks back on the engine fires up and runs beautifully, but the engine light stays on all the time. (I'm not too worried about this though as the battery has been dis-connected).

So i swap over to the new clocks and engine light is flashing and no engine turning over when i press the starter button, nothing.

I've heard the clocks and the ecu have to be a matched pair or there is some way to get them to play together?

my local dealer of course, wants mega bucks to try to sort this problem and i'm not that confident he knows what he's doing. i don't think he's that impressed i bought a secondhand set of clocks rather than going to him and getting reamed for new ones.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the same situation, bought a wrecked bike (which i don't recommend any one doing that) too much hassle , so the gauges are broken and i got an other set from eBay. With the old gauges the bike starts and engine runs great but by the time i got the new gauges i stripped the bike down i know i connected the new gauges, it shows the mileage and most off the lights are working, but i could not start it because the tank and all the stuff in the front was off. The bike is in the shop at the welder so i should get it tomorrow back and will try to start it and will let you know how it is going. I very hope it will start.:scooter:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, there is apparently an immobiliser in the dash that the ecu runs through.

Anybody had any experience with this?

I can't believe the bike doesn't have a hiss style chipped key like a honda or ducati or any other manufacturer for that matter, but chooses to put an immobiliser in the dash!!??

Are you supposed to take the dash off and take it with you to stop your bike getting stolen?? The idea being the thief won't be able to use another dash to ride your bike away!? Brilliant! Why not just take the engine out, or the wheels off?
If i wasn't English i would be cursing those pommy idiots by now.

What a moronic situation.

You can probably tell this is starting to annoy me now, sorry for the rant.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Yes, there is apparently an immobiliser in the dash that the ecu runs through.

Anybody had any experience with this?

I can't believe the bike doesn't have a hiss style chipped key like a honda or ducati or any other manufacturer for that matter, but chooses to put an immobiliser in the dash!!??

Are you supposed to take the dash off and take it with you to stop your bike getting stolen?? The idea being the thief won't be able to use another dash to ride your bike away!? Brilliant! Why not just take the engine out, or the wheels off?
If i wasn't English i would be cursing those pommy idiots by now.

What a moronic situation.

You can probably tell this is starting to annoy me now, sorry for the rant.
I think it's mainly to prevent odometer fraud. How ironic that your user name is expert.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it is rather. I suppose your user name describes you perfectly? Are you actually a cloud?

Have you got anything useful to add?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Yes, it is rather. I suppose your user name describes you perfectly? Are you actually a cloud?

Have you got anything useful to add?
HAHAHAHAHAHAH:laugh: yo dude you have to to take your bike your old clocks and your new clocks to the dealer they will set your ODO correctly on your new clocks and they will unlock the new clocks for you they may charge you $50 to $100:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Funny. I swapped the cluster out on my 675 with no issues. Check all the fuses etc. What year is your bike?
Me too, pluged the new set straight in and it worked with 0miles showing. (2010 bike)
did you guys buy it BRAND NEW? or used, if its used it should be locked to that bike to prevent odo fraud

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They were a second hand set from ebay.

I'm unsure of the exact year of the clocks i bought but the bike is an '07.
There is what appears to be a date printed on the back and they are within a few months of each other if it is a date...

They fit perfectly, plug fits, goes through the needle sweep etc. but no action on the fuel pump or starter etc. just the engine light flashing.

Just to complicate things the new clocks are from a daytona and the old clocks are street triple. I figured they would be ok and the guy selling them said they would work on any 675 which made sence......

The daytona clocks are a much better looking set of clocks than the street triple ones, in my humble opinion.

So the general consensus is that this will work when i get the clocks and ecu to be friends?
Has anyone found a way around getting the dealer involved? Shouting at the clocks? Bad language? Threats? Anything?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Mine was used, showing more miles than the older set. My bike is track only, so I could care less what is on the clocks. I did save the original, to document mileage, in case I ever want to sell the bike (just my tac needle spring was/is broken).

My service manual makes no mention of an ecu locking out, or having to do any form of reset.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'm in the exact same situation and would love some real answers once and for all. My bike was bought crashed as well, it's a 2009. Unfortunately, it had no set of gauges, they had disappeared by the time they made it to the salvage yard.

I bought a second hand set off of e-bay from a 2008 D675 and have the EXACT same symptoms: the bike's lights all work, if you flick the key the tach does its cycle, then the engine light flashes and the injectors don't prime, and the starter doesn't crank. When I took it to my dealer, they hooked it up to their scanner and it spit out the code for a CAN communication problem (that is apparently when the ECU and speedo don't want to be friends, as the OP puts it so cutely.)

I keep hearing rumors of the ECU and the speedo/gauges being matched, but I've been told by several dealers (I've called all over the country to different places) and they seem to think it's essentially like a computer monitor, you plug it in and it displays and works just fine. Triumph America seems to be telling me two separate things as well, which leads me to believe that no one really knows the answer, which is thoroughly frustrating. I don't want to buy a brand new god damned Dash.

So, for the OP, for myself, for anyone in the future who will come across a similar situation: ARE the dashes indeed matched to the ECU and if you know this, how do you know this? Also, if they are, can a dealer (the one I went to certainly doesn't know how to, otherwise they would have proposed the idea) reprogram them, so to say, to match your ecu? Or can you send them to Triumph together and have them matched up?

We're all feeling your pain, OP. Well, at least I am.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm going to try 'phoning those awesome poms and getting some definitive answers.

The factory number is; +44 1455 251700 for anyone who wants to 'phone them and congratulate/berate/abuse them.

I hope cloud comes back, i think i may have been rude to him :(

Rule Britannia!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have no idea if mixing gauges between the D675 and the street triple version will work or not. I know of at least three people who have had to replace instruments on the Daytona 675, none have had the problems that you describe. It was a simple plug and play in all three cases (mine included). Unless there was a change made after 08, the gauges and clusters do not have to match. My service manual backs that up (lack of mentioning that they need to be matched or coded together).

If you have a code reader, plug it in and see what is there. If you post the codes here, I'll check them in my service manual. I suspect that you have other problems. Have you checked the tip over switch? If it is damaged or oriented the wrong way, your bike will not start. Have you used a volt meter to see if power is getting to the fuel pump? There are numerous other reasons why your bike not start. The ecu could be damaged, not the cluster. You could have a short causing an error code that will not allow the bike to start... Check the codes and lets start to work the problem in a logical fashion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would go down that avenue of investigation if the bike didn't run perfectly with the old clocks fitted leading me to conclude there is nothing wrong with the bike.

It would seem that the problem is a lack of communication between the ecu and the clocks, i'm just gonna have to go to the dealer and get him to unlock the dash (if he knows how).

I'll let you know how it goes.....

Thanks for your input, everybody!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just to complicate things the new clocks are from a daytona and the old clocks are street triple.

Well i still did not get the bike home yet maybe tomorrow if i get some time, but about 675 and street i was going to buy one also from ebay because street triple was much chipper gauge and i called the local dealer here in Spokane asked if gauges match because they look the same ( almost the same) but they told me it would not work because the red on street is 13 to 14 rpm on daytona is 14 to 16 rpm. And that makes a difference, like i said i will check mine out as soon as i can and will let you know. Here is the dealer here in Spokane wa it is called Empire Cycle and the phone (509) 892-6368 maybe they can give you more accurate answer. The attached pictures are daytona and street gauges, at the bottom of street pic. says speed triple it is actually street.

Attachments

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have just fixed the same issue
I brought a 07 Daytona from Auction and it didn't have a dash, so I put the dash on it from my 09 street triple, All the light etc worked but would not turn over.
I spoke to Charlie from Turn one motorcycles (Melbourne) and he said the street triple and Daytona instruments are different and cannot be crossed over, he sold me a Daytona dash,(at a great price cheaper than Ebay) I went home and installed it and the bike started straight away, there was no ECU and dash, reprogramming needed, just the correct dash for the model of bike you have.
Problem was fixed and all works great.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts