Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, so far my Triumph ownership has not been great...

Previous owner installed a manual cam chain tension too tight which led to a failed chain guide and bent valves. Ok, fine - rebuilt the head with new valves.

I'm not sure if there was some bearing damage I didn't notice or some sort of debris that got in but shortly after I got the bike up and running with the rebuilt head, it threw a rod and destroyed pretty much everything in the motor.

SO - I have a used engine sitting on a pallet just about ready to go back in. I've got the Triumph race kit guide & tensioner installed .. are there any other things I should do on this engine? Basic maintenance has already been addressed (valve checks, etc)

·
Registered
717 Posts
I am assuming that the engine is a 2013+ not sure what your title meant(213+). The Gen3 engines are pretty reliable from what I have seen. I you have an Ebay special replacement, I would suggest that you take the pan off and check for debris. If you see any chunks or there appears to be a lot of fine debris then I would dig further into the engine (oil-pump, cam ladder)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, title was supposed to be 2013+ .. can't seem to edit it

I've gone through the obvious on the use engine, oil looked good, plugs looked good, valve clearances were good.etc

I think I'm looking more for things like valve shimming, or upgraded cam chain, etc

·
Registered
632 Posts
The cam chain guide on the gen3 motors was apparently a weak point.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found that out when mine broke! Cast aluminum is NOT good for fatigue loading.

I missed out on Group Buy attempt ... and had reach out to the same billet guide guy on FB and never got a response. I ended up finding a Triumph Race Kit - A9618108 which has a manual adjuster and a new composite (similar to the fwd guide, and other bikes I've worked on) chain guide

1 - 5 of 5 Posts