Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm about to order a set of Apex GP Clip-Ons for my 2015 Street Triple R - however thought I'd play with the idea of flipping / dropping my stock handlebars.

I know earlier model Streets can do this - and don't have issues with clearing the tank or instrument cluster.

Can this be done on a 2015 Street Triple and has anyone done this and might be able to share some pics?

Also (just in case) has anyone got the Apex GP Clip-Ons installed on a 2015 Street Triple R and is able to offer some info / pics?

Cheers guys, thanks for your time.

Vas.

:grin2:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Apex says not to use their clip-ons because the bike's tapering fork tubes prevent getting a solid bite on the lower clamps. Install at your own risk, I guess.

Don't know about flipping the stock bars, but someone in some post thought of using bars from the Street Cup: they're clubman style, and should provide a nice forward lean. The SC is so new that (AFAIK) STR compatibility has not yet been verified, but it seems like it should be a drop-in replacement. Probably cheaper than clip-ons, too. The next time I'm at my dealer I'm going to ask about it. Please...please...please...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Markup,
The SC bar certainly looks the part! Very nice! So far been a bit of a mission trying to find a solution to get more forward and lower on the Street Triple. Not only for improved track ergonomics, but for my daily commuting as well. My back seems to like the more aggressive forward lean better than a straight-up or straight lean stance. . .

·
Registered
868 Posts
because the bike's tapering fork tubes.
Why THE HELL should Triumph install tapered forks in there? Instantly eliminates all clip-on upgrades/modifications and if the upper tree clamp has its holes internally tapered too then a change of forks is impossible too. Breaks the game for me - I wouldn't buy a bike like that nomatter how good it is otherwise.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Why THE HELL should Triumph install tapered forks in there? Instantly eliminates all clip-on upgrades/modifications and if the upper tree clamp has its holes internally tapered too then a change of forks is impossible too. Breaks the game for me - I wouldn't buy a bike like that nomatter how good it is otherwise.
They are more stepped than tapered. The sections where the upper and lower triples clamp are straight with a reduced diameter section between them. The straight bit extends below the upper triple clamp about 1". Not much area for the clip-on to clamp to. If you got clip-ons that fit the reduced section they would need very tall risers or you would need very long arms.:smile2:

Anyone have a link to the "Street Cup" bars, are they a Triumph part?

·
Registered
868 Posts
They are more stepped than tapered. The sections where the upper and lower triples clamp are straight with a reduced diameter section between them. The straight bit extends below the upper triple clamp about 1". Not much area for the clip-on to clamp to. If you got clip-ons that fit the reduced section they would need very tall risers or you would need very long arms.:smile2:

Anyone have a link to the "Street Cup" bars, are they a Triumph part?
Ahh that explains it then. 1" should be enough for a clip-on however, why shouldn't it? If the clip-on cylinder clamp extends a bit below the "lip" of the fork tube this shouldn't be an issue in proper tightening. Anyway, I think there are plenty of aftermarket clip-ons (including my Apex "touring" style - multi-adjustables) whose cylinder clamps are marginally wider than 1", if not exactly 1".

·
Registered
373 Posts
Same forks as previous model Striples. Apex clip-ons do fit. They have to protect themselves from less than "intelligent" (for lack of a better word) individuals who will try to install them on the smaller diameter portion of the fork. If they are installed just under (almost touching) the upper triple clamp you will have no issues with the fork tubes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Markup,
The SC bar certainly looks the part! Very nice! So far been a bit of a mission trying to find a solution to get more forward and lower on the Street Triple. Not only for improved track ergonomics, but for my daily commuting as well. My back seems to like the more aggressive forward lean better than a straight-up or straight lean stance. . .
Hey mate, I saw your messages from 2016 on your triple mods.
I'm also based in Brisbane, did you go thru with the clip one and Daytona rearsets in the end?

Cheers,
Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts