Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. I'm considering changing my fork springs from the stock .90 KG to .95 KG as recommended by RaceTech. According to their website and per my rider set-up, this Daytona (non R) has too soft fork springs (and too stiff shock spring but thats another story) for my weight. To corroborate that I did check my sag (last year, not lately) and my bike does have excessive sag. I don't have the numbers handy but if asked I could find and provide them. Also I've noticed that I pretty much do blow through the suspension travel but have not yet bottomed out. But thats the point- to change the springs before I bottom out. The track I ride is rough and I’m very nervous of bottoming and loosing the front end.

So the advise I'm seeking is- If you know your using nearly all your suspension travel but not yet bottoming, and its measured and said that the bike does come with a extra soft fork spring from the factory, would you go ahead and change the springs now or wait til you start to tick the bottom of them? I know its advised that we’re supposed to use nearly all the suspension travel and thats normal. But I feel I’m dangerously close to the end of it and my pace is gaining steadily. I made alot of improvements the 2nd half of last year. It’s so cheap and easy to change springs I cannot see why I wouldn’t? (I have to do oil this year anyway)

Advise or suggestion? Thanks!

·
Registered
723 Posts
I'm 165lbs and was bottoming my forks out and put in .95 springs. Definitely do it. And the rear spring as well.

Reactions: SKmotomn

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, thanks!

I was not planing to do the rear because I was nervous about changing the geometry too much especially in this manner. If I stiffen the fork springs AND soften the shock spring it seems to me I would be transferring weight off the front and on the back. Possibly significantly. I lost the front tire on a bike a few years back from similar reasons (and incorrect tires) and am pretty nervous about making significant geometry changes. That and I figured I’d grow into the shock spring? Am I off base?

·
Registered
723 Posts
The front spring is for someone that's 150lbs, the rear is for 230lbs. Unless you ride with passengers often, soften the rear.

Reactions: Xyst

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No passengers, just track days. It seems crazy they’d spring it like that from the factory. Dunno what they’re thinking…

Thanks for your input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts