Triumph675.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a well maintained 2011 Daytona I bought new, now has about 28K miles (99% street). Should I check timing chain and adjuster wear soon, or just wait until it gets noisy and then check it? Is this check better done at time of valve check/adjust?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Chance that these things needs replacing is slim (effectively none if not making noise from being loose).

You could take the side cover off in 2 minutes and see the chain and adjuster. Not sure how you'd determine anything with the chain by just looking at it. Ditto for the adjuster unless it was really heavily frayed.

In 40+ years of motorcycle ownership, two with nearly 6 digit mileage, I've never replaced a timing chain. Tension on them is uniform and so stretching isn't nearly as much an issue as with a drive chain (which gets repeated, sometimes violent, shocks from acceleration).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I finally pulled the chain cover today. Visually comparing my chain against the chain link wear check drawings in the factory manual, I don't see any signs of wear. Hydraulic tensioner rubbing block looks like it has plenty of life remaining. Of course, I can't check chain stretch vs. factory spec without removing chain:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts