Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a plastic rear hugger for my 2011 Street Triple R. I have found a few used ones on ebay and was wondering if there is a change from the 09's to the 11's. Did the bolt pattern change or anything like that making them not fit?

I just want to be sure before I order one.

Thanks

·
Registered
601 Posts
Actually, Triumph have, very quietly, changed the swing arm for 2010, but I don't think it has changed the mounting for the hugger.

The mounting holes for the paddock stand bobbins or whatever they are really called, went from 6 mm to 8 mm, and the length of the swing arm increased about half an inch, all at the adjuster end.

Pictures show my 2008, shorter swing arm, then Ray's 2010 extended swing arm. (note:-the extended swing arm model has had the chain shortened by two links so as to move the axle forward)

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
If its to keep your rear shock clean then I wouldn't bother with the Triumph one, as it fails.

My shock gets covered, I did a few quick searches but couldn't find a bigger one so am thinking about getting a shock tube instead. Would rather have an extended hugger though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The mounting holes for the paddock stand bobbins or whatever they are really called, went from 6 mm to 8 mm, and the length of the swing arm increased about half an inch, all at the adjuster end.
This may be true but not for all 2010s. My 2010, for example, still have the shorter swing arm with the 6mm holes for the bobbins. Mine was built in July 2009, so perhaps changes occurred after this.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Longer ...

My Street triple is a late 2010 early 2011 model.

As Cam said, the swing arm on my bike is 1/2" longer than his 2008 machine.

I've seen several other bikes with the extended swing arm in the shop that are late 2010 models like mine, but the strange thing is that not all of them have the longer arm. It seems that Triumph started the modification to the rear end but not to all the 2010 model runs.

My spindle bobbin holes are 8mm, not 6mm.

The hugger holes are still the same, no changes.

I'm guessing that all the bikes with the shorter swing arms are older manufacture stock that will eventually clear from the factory and all the later 2010 / 2011 models will have the longer swing arm.

S.

·
Super Moderator
11,896 Posts
Triumph does not make changes based on model year they do it by vin. For example we all know that they made a new Speed Triple for the 2011 model year but did you know that the old Speed Triple has also been produced as a 2011 model. Whenever you talk to a Triumph dealer about parts you have to have the last six digits of your vin as the model year means nothing to us. The fiche is totally by vin not year.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
It's odd that the "extended" part of the swingarm is all in the "adjustment" area. Why would they do this? The two would have the same exact wheelbase with the same #link chain. The only purpose I can see of this is to increase adjustment, but seriously...who would still be using a chain that's stretched that much to warrant the extra adjustment room??

·
Registered
601 Posts
It's odd that the "extended" part of the swingarm is all in the "adjustment" area. Why would they do this? The two would have the same exact wheelbase with the same #link chain. The only purpose I can see of this is to increase adjustment, but seriously...who would still be using a chain that's stretched that much to warrant the extra adjustment room??
The bike that I know that came with the longer swing arm also came with a longer chain, by 2 links.

Maybe Triumph felt that a slight "calming" effect was called for, but, if you know what's going on you can fairly easily remove the two links and have the original hooligan characteristics. :thumbup:

regards,CrazyCam

·
Registered
868 Posts
The bike that I know that came with the longer swing arm also came with a longer chain, by 2 links.

Maybe Triumph felt that a slight "calming" effect was called for, but, if you know what's going on you can fairly easily remove the two links and have the original hooligan characteristics. :thumbup:

regards,CrazyCam
This is why I run the shorter wheelbase on my Striple, it makes for a more responsive machine in the twisties, but you have to be aware of the shortcomings, too.
If I tracked the bike a lot I would go back to the longer wheelbase setup for increased high speed stability. However, i've had my fill of track days and racing now.

I get my adrenaline fix from racing with my mates through the back road twisties ... :thumbup:

S.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts