Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So since the "pre-season" of racing has officially started (testing), and the first WSBK race is only a month away, I thought I'd start a general moto-racing thread, to hear everyone's thoughts on the upcoming season. I thought I'd focus first on my thoughts about MotoGP, with a bit about the other classes as well, just to get the ball rolling…

A great place to keep up with all things racing on 2 wheels: http://motomatters.com/

Rossi's first test on the Duc was really slow, but the new bike looks so different, who knows? (Great comparison pics at the site above.) Starting from scratch; but Rossi's biggest talent over the competition (IMNSHO) has always been his bike development, so I would never bet against the GOAT.

Fiat pulled outta Yama-suck sponsorship, which I'm all the more happy with, cause I can't stand Lorenzo, and love that they will either be sportin factory colors or even flat black carbon at the next test. Though the thought is that AirAsia will plaster their livery all over it... After Dorna pressures them into it.

Stoner had a great test his first time on this Honda. I think he wants to prove he has always been better than the Duc would let him be, so he's gonna push even harder. Plus, I bet he's pissed that Duc would rebuild the bike for Rossi, but wouldn't make the same changes for him.

Danny boy has always been a choker to me, even though the fricken fairy has a HUGE weight advantage. I worry about his collar bone; word has it he's had some numbness in his hand, even though they now say it's much better, I never heard them say it's totally gone.

I think Ben will come into his own and join the Aliens, though I don't know if he'll be the man yet. I think that's gonna be one of the most fun things to watch.

Nicky will likely benefit from Rossi's development, but until next year (1000's in 2012), I just don't think his style and American size fits on the 800's.

Will be interested watching Tony Elias as well.

I enjoyed Moto2 a lot last year too, and am looking forward to Moto3. Gonna be fun watching Kenan Sofuoğlu try to upend the Moto2 class.

WSBK has the first race of the season, at the end of Feb (27th I think), so I'm hyped for that kickoff. I was digging the WSSport class, cause there was a Trumpet team, and I like Chaz Davies, since he raced over here in AMA, even though he's from over there, he's kinda an adopted homer... Now after the debacle that happened with Triumph and BE1, I hope BE1 does great on the Yami's, and that Triumph has an actual plan for what they are gonna do… (There is another thread on this mess).

AMA is trying to come back, but they still are struggling with a pack of older riders, and not enough new talent to advance them. The few new talented riders are in the 600 class; I wish they'd just move a couple of the geezers out and give these kids their chance. DMG almost killed AMA racing, but after the purging of the front office before last year, it got better. Hopefully it will continue to improve. But they have a very limited number of races and some huge holes in their schedule. There is still too much crashing too. The 600 class though, was some amazing racing last year (including some hard charging Duc 848's), even had an actual tie, first I've ever seen.

Least us forget the Isle of Man TT in May...

Of course we'll have the new Grand Prix track in Austin in 2012, I can't wait for that; I may even have to make a trip to TX…

I watch every race (thank you Speed and DVR), of every class, of all three (Moto, WSBK, and AMA). As an amateur racer back in the day, I am still amazed at what these guys do. I'm a huge couch fan; looking forward to see us "talking" about it. :coolgleamA:

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I hope BE1 gets bankrupt, and don't forget Ago's the GOAT.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://motomatters.com/news/2011/02/02/2011_motogp_sepang_1_day_2_roundup.html

If I could write the script; I'd like to see Rossi win, cause everyone says it can't be done; Spies come in a very close second, down to the wire, because I like the kid. Stoner can come in third, with the fairy coming in fourth. Hayden in 5th, with Dovi, Simoncelli, Aoyama, Bautista, and Edwards fighting it out for 6-10th.

The rest could fight it out for the rest; the three n00bs Crutchlow, Abraham and Elias (not that he didn't already spend 5 years on GP, and appears he can't ride on Bridgestones), I'd like to see do well, just to keep the new blood flowing.

Lorenzo, after consistently finishing behind Spies and struggling to make the top 5 for the first half of the year, becomes increasingly frustrated, starts over-committing, riding like Xaus (win or crash), and eventually his piss-poor attitude catches up to him and he has a horrendous crash, ending his career... (Did I mention I don't like him?)

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
Definitely looking forward to this season. Going to be very interesting. :thumbup:

·
Registered
946 Posts

If I could write the script; I'd like to see Rossi win, cause everyone says it can't be done; Spies come in a very close second, down to the wire, because I like the kid. Stoner can come in third, with the fairy coming in fourth. Hayden in 5th, with Dovi, Simoncelli, Aoyama, Bautista, and Edwards fighting it out for 6-10th.

The rest could fight it out for the rest; the three n00bs Crutchlow, Abraham and Elias (not that he didn't already spend 5 years on GP, and appears he can't ride on Bridgestones), I'd like to see do well, just to keep the new blood flowing.

Lorenzo, after consistently finishing behind Spies and struggling to make the top 5 for the first half of the year, becomes increasingly frustrated, starts over-committing, riding like Xaus (win or crash), and eventually his piss-poor attitude catches up to him and he has a horrendous crash, ending his career... (Did I mention I don't like him?)
Haha. I think we will see a lot of Simoncelli this season, end of last season he really demonstrated he's got what it takes to run near the front of the pack!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
665 Posts
Moto GP is going to be amazing this year for sure...WSBK's should be ok, really keen to see how Kawasaki go this year with all of the hype..

but Moto GP is where its at this year

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Horrendous crash?
How old are you? 12? :signhuh:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Um, no, I'm not. I'm pretty sure I spelled it right; Horrendous, as in awful, terrible, really bad, etc.

As I said, I don't like him, so I'd be fine if he went away. If that's a little too harsh for you, I'm sorry to offend; I'm a fairly straightforward guy, so there ya go.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
http://www.motomatters.com/news/2011/02/20/vermeulen_to_miss_wsbk_opener_at_phillip.html

Vermeulen To Miss WSBK Opener At Phillip Island

The huge crash Chris Vermeulen suffered during race 2 of last year's World Superbike opener at Phillip Island has had a major impact on his career. The crash caused severe damage to Vermeulen's knee, and the Australian has had problems ever since, eventually opting to have surgery in the middle of the 2010 season, forcing him to miss the rest of the season while recovering from the operation.

But Vermeulen's problems are not yet over. The former World Supersport champion has struggled during testing with the Paul Bird Kawasaki squad, managing to ride for just one day at Sepang before pain and swelling in his knee forced Vermeulen to pull out of the test. Vermeulen is still unable to bend his knee sufficiently to sit comfortably on the bike, despite intense physiotherapy to try to help the problem.

With the final test before the 2011 season kicks off about to start, and a week to go before the first race of the year, Vermeulen has decided to pull out of both the test at Phillip Island and the race there next Sunday to concentrate on his physical rehab, Fox Sports in Australia is reporting. After failing a fitness test ahead of the WSBK test on Monday, Vermeulen and the team came to the conclusion that it would be better to skip Vermeulen's home round at Phillip Island. The hope is that further treatment to his knee during the four weeks before the second WSBK round of the year at Donington Park will improve Vermeulen's condition enough to be able to race.

Vermeulen's ride will be taken by Kawasaki test rider and World Superbike veteran Akira Yanagawa. Yanagawa also replaced Vermeulen in the latter half of last year, though the 39-year-old Japanese rider could not prove competitive. According to Bikesportnews.com, rumors had former Kawasaki MotoGP and Ten Kate World Supersport rider Andrew Pitt taking Vermeulen's place, but Yanagawa has been named ahead of Pitt. Should Vermeulen's injury force him to miss more racing, or in the worst case scenario, force him to retire early, Pitt may well end up in the frame again.

--I'm not sure I follow the logic here; has surgery last year, has gone thru "intensive physiotherapy", and yet somehow they think one more month of it will fix everything?

This sucks for Chris, I really like him as a rider. I hope something happens and he has a chance to recover and get back to form.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, you wanna talk AMA/DMG roadracing?

Superbike Teams And Riders: AMA Pro Road Racing Roll Call 2011, Part One News Article // RoadracingWorld.com

Daytona SportBike Teams And Riders: AMA Pro Road Racing Roll Call 2011, Part Two News Article // RoadracingWorld.com

Martin Cardenas going to SBK is great, he should do well. Otherwise, it's full of old men, and there needs to be some "changing of the guard" there to make room for the young guns.

Danny Eslick, but more specifically Josh Herrin and Tommy Aquino (and Martin above) should all be going to Europe in my opinion, as I think they are suffering from the bad shape of moto-roadracing in America.

In the worst atrocity, Bobby Fong who put in some amazing rides last year, is without a ride as of 2/9/2011, and that sucks big time.

Those 5 riders, should be all contending for the AMA/DMG SBK championship, on factory teams, then feeding to Europe. But, because AMA/DMG has destroyed the American moto-roadracing series so badly, they will all suffer.

I agree, there was some AMAZING racing in the AMA/DMG series last year, especially in the SuperSport (nee Daytona Sportbike) class. I will watch again, but I really hope that AMA/DMG continues to improve and eventually gets the series to be a true feeder class as it should be, so that young talented riders can get a shot to move up and on.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Spoiler alert! Don't read if you haven't watched the races yet!

Here's my guess:

Pos No. Rider Bike
1 7 C. CHECA Ducati 1098R
2 4 J. REA Honda CBR1000RR
3 3 M. BIAGGI Aprilia RSV4 Factory
4 96 J. SMRZ Ducati 1098R
5 17 J. LASCORZ Kawasaki ZX-10R
6 50 S. GUINTOLI Ducati 1098R
7 84 M. FABRIZIO Suzuki GSX-R1000
8 11 T. CORSER BMW S1000 RR
9 41 N. HAGA Aprilia RSV4 Factory
10 91 L. HASLAM BMW S1000 RR
11 33 M. MELANDRI Yamaha YZF R1
12 66 T. SYKES Kawasaki ZX-10R
13 58 E. LAVERTY Yamaha YZF R1
14 52 J. TOSELAND BMW S1000 RR

Although I think Eugene has a chance to surprise. I also think Melandri could shock everyone. I also think Smrz, Lascorz and Guintoli may not be ready for primetime, so I may be going out a bit on a ledge with their spots, they could drop outta the top 10 easily if they can't stay consistent for the whole race... How's that for hedging my bets?
Results of World Superbike Race 1 from Phillip Island:
Pos No. Rider Country Bike Diff
1 7 C. CHECA ESP Ducati 1098R
2 1 M. BIAGGI ITA Aprilia RSV4 Factory 4.365
3 91 L. HASLAM GBR BMW S1000 RR 10.719
4 58 E. LAVERTY IRL Yamaha YZF R1 11.266
5 33 M. MELANDRI ITA Yamaha YZF R1 11.293
6 84 M. FABRIZIO ITA Suzuki GSX-R1000 12.039
7 96 J. SMRZ CZE Ducati 1098R 20.294
8 66 T. SYKES GBR Kawasaki ZX-10R 20.742
9 41 N. HAGA JPN Aprilia RSV4 Factory 22.421
10 11 T. CORSER AUS BMW S1000 RR 25.822
11 44 R. ROLFO ITA Kawasaki ZX-10R 29.270
12 4 J. REA GBR Honda CBR1000RR 31.059
13 2 L. CAMIER GBR Aprilia RSV4 Factory 31.721
14 86 A. BADOVINI ITA BMW S1000 RR 36.389
15 67 B. STARING AUS Kawasaki ZX-10R 36.470

Results of Race 2 for the World Superbike class at Phillip Island:
Pos No. Rider Country Bike Diff
1 7 C. CHECA ESP Ducati 1098R
2 1 M. BIAGGI ITA Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1.188
3 33 M. MELANDRI ITA Yamaha YZF R1 1.406
4 4 J. REA GBR Honda CBR1000RR 10.563
5 91 L. HASLAM GBR BMW S1000 RR 10.885
6 2 L. CAMIER GBR Aprilia RSV4 Factory 16.914
7 41 N. HAGA JPN Aprilia RSV4 Factory 17.558
8 84 M. FABRIZIO ITA Suzuki GSX-R1000 17.679
9 66 T. SYKES GBR Kawasaki ZX-10R 18.070
10 111 R. XAUS ESP Honda CBR1000RR 19.053
11 96 J. SMRZ CZE Ducati 1098R 19.060
12 44 R. ROLFO ITA Kawasaki ZX-10R 23.771
13 12 J. WATERS AUS Suzuki GSX-R1000 23.956
14 52 J. TOSELAND GBR BMW S1000 RR 28.713
15 58 E. LAVERTY IRL Yamaha YZF R1 32.673

So, overall in the paragraphs below my picks, I was better then the actual pics; Smrz, Lascorz and Guintoli were not ready for primetime (Smrz only cracking top 10 in first race, the other two didn't earn a point), Melandri did shock everyone, and Eugene did surprise.

Rea did worse than I expected, and Haslam did better.

Phillip Island is notoriously a "Duc track", so I expect the Ape's, Bimmer's and Yami's will do better as we go to other tracks.

Was much fun seeing racing again...

·
Registered
946 Posts
It's funny how Checa was miles off the pace in MotoGP when he was riding end of last year, yet he's been right at the front in WSBK. Sort of says something about the quality of MotoGP riders IMO.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I'm not sure I follow the logic here; has surgery last year, has gone thru "intensive physiotherapy", and yet somehow they think one more month of it will fix everything?
Wishful thinking :whistle:

Too bad Vermeulen couldn't make it in MotoGP,he rode quite well in the rain.

Guintoli got hurt once again, and it really sucks, too.

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
Was definitely fun watching Melandri and Biaggi.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.