Triumph675.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have factory service manual. Before pulling it all apart, I was going to buy plugs and cam cover gasket. Do I need any other parts, other than shims if clearance out of spec? My cam tensioner cover plate gasket is good to reuse, I just pulled it today.

I read the long valve adjust maint sticky article from 2010 at https://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27207. Contrary to the manual, some people there say do you NOT need to remove the throttle bodies to get cam cover off, but do have to mess with throttle cable to get clearance, for example:

"slacken off the throttle cable securing nuts & remove the cable from the brkt then remove the 2 bolts holding the throttle cable mounting bracket that is in the way of the cam cover & remove it."

I can't tell if that applies to my 2011. After messing with throttle cable, will I need sync throttle bodies (bike runs and idles fine now)? If yes, then do I really need to buy the fuel pressure adapter + extender hose and pump extender cable to perform the sync?

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
You'll need a crank cover gasket. The top cam cover gasket is reusable but if yours is original, it wouldn't hurt to replace.

You don't have to remove the TB's but it makes the job a lot easier. If you have an extra long allen, removing and reinstalling the TB's adds about 10 minutes.

No, you don't need the extender hose etc to sync the TB's and you shouldn't have to sync them after removal. Check them before and after with TuneECU. If they need adjusting, you can get to them with the tank lifted and the airbox still in place.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re the need for extra long allen for throttle body, do you happen to recall the length and hex size so I can check if my current allen key is long enough?

Also do throttle body adapter o-rings really need to be replaced when remove throttle body? Service manual says should be replaced. I have 28K miles on my 2011.

I just got TuneECU, so I'll check sync before I take anything apart.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone other than Trump dealers sell 7.48 mm diameter shims in 0.025 mm thickness increments? My local Triumph dealer quoted me $20 per shim! Honda dealer shims are about 1/3 that price, but only come in 0.50 mm increments, which makes it hard to get the valve clearance in spec.

Checked clearances today, need shim change for all 6 exhaust valves, have not yet pulled the cams to calc shim height.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Does anyone other than Trump dealers sell 7.48 mm diameter shims in 0.025 mm thickness increments? My local Triumph dealer quoted me $20 per shim! Honda dealer shims are about 1/3 that price, but only come in 0.50 mm increments, which makes it hard to get the valve clearance in spec.

Checked clearances today, need shim change for all 6 exhaust valves, have not yet pulled the cams to calc shim height.
My Hot Cams shim kit has always done me solid. You can pick one up for about $70.

I measure each shim with calipers and it's rarely exactly the size that's stamped on it, so I can adjust in tiny increments right to the middle of spec. Once you know what shims you need, I'd head to your Japanese dealer and do the same. They'll have big piles of shims in each size range and you'll find many of them will be as close as you can accurately get. Bring your old ones and they might do a straight trade; my dealer did.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts