Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stiff rear is killing me on the street. I'm 163lbs without gear. For my weight the Racetech site says:

Front stock = .900, street = 8.47, race = 8.97
Rear stock = 12.6, street 9.08, race 9.53

I keep seeing mention on a couple of threads about the racetech calculator being inaccurate for the 675.

My riding will be about 10% track (usually low-to-mid pack in advance group), 80% canyon, 10% normal street.

Who can I call and trust to give me advice on the correct numbers?

Also I keep hearing about Flux plates. Do I need that too?

I read lots of threads in the suspension section tonight. It's a bit confusing for me, partly because many threads don't say which year bike they are talking about.

thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
you're right in that the Racetech calculator is a bit off (recommends a softer spring than really necessary). I've been looking into setting up my suspension as well, altho I'm only 135-140lbs w/o gear. I'd stay away from lowering plates as they mess with the geometry of the bike.

You're best bet is to find a local suspension tuner. Most track day organizations have their own tuner who'll help set up your bike at the track. I don't know any in your area, but I'm sure some other forum members would be eager to help you out. Talk to MGFChapin, I've spoken to him several times in the past regarding suspension on the D675 and he's been a great help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By "killing me", I meant every time I hit a pavement irregularity it really kicks my butt:) Handling feels fantastic on the street if the road is smooth; have not gone to the track yet.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Can anyone confirm that the stock rates the Racetech calculator claims below are correct?

Front = .900
Rear = 12.6
I've heard that the 09+ front end holds a 1.0 rate.

Rear is correct as far as I know.

You think it kicks your butt? Try being 120lb with the stock spring :biggrinjester: I was holding on for dear life the first 1-2k miles before I swapped springs.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Race Tech knows their stuff, they just don't update their site very often. Luckily you're close to my suspension guru, Sean. He's in Oceanside & owns a shop called Trackoholics. He's done lots of work with 675 suspension and works directly with Race Tech. Give him a call (760) 481-3263, tell him Paul sent you.

Oh and the best thing I can recommend for the front is leave the springs alone. We're about the same weight and all I did was change the oil to 5wt. Do that, it worked miracles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just before seeing your post about Trackoholics in Oceanside (which is very close to me!), I had called to Racetech who recommended a .94 rear spring which I ordered. And thanks for the fork oil weight info also.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Just before seeing your post about Trackoholics in Oceanside (which is very close to me!), I had called to Racetech who recommended a .94 rear spring which I ordered. And thanks for the fork oil weight info also.
let us know how it turns out!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I installed a Racetech spring 58.2mm x 178mm , 9.4kg, per what Racetech tech support Louie recommended for me. I was able to set sag correctly, but was probably near the bottom of the threads on the adjustment (18mm of threads showing); a 10mm longer spring would have been best for the adjuster range.

Went for an hour test ride in the canyons... much less harsh now, handles great.

Changing the shock was not fun because the factory installed the lower spring bolt from the right side. The bolt would not clear the exhaust, so I had to remove much of the exhaust system to get the bolt out. Then when I reassembled I forgot to flip the bolt around so next time removable would be simple!

MGFChapin: re the fork oil change, I assume you have a 2009+ forks same as me? Do you know what the stock oil weight is?

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Changing the shock was not fun because the factory installed the lower spring bolt from the right side. The bolt would not clear the exhaust, so I had to remove much of the exhaust system to get the bolt out. Then when I reassembled I forgot to flip the bolt around so next time removable would be simple!

MGFChapin: re the fork oil change, I assume you have a 2009+ forks same as me? Do you know what the stock oil weight is?
That's crazy, my shock bolt was installed through the other side. Weird that it'd be different from the factory.

Yeah, 09 forks. Stock weight is either 7.5 or 10, can't remember. 5 is much better.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
That's crazy, my shock bolt was installed through the other side. Weird that it'd be different from the factory.

Yeah, 09 forks. Stock weight is either 7.5 or 10, can't remember. 5 is much better.
I'll check when I pick my bike up from the suspension shop, hopefully at the end of next week

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.