Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit: It was the battery lol

I read another post on this forum about someone with a similar issue, and I believe the issue was battery related, but I dont think that is the case here.

I drained the coolant yesterday and replaced with water. I started the bike, and it was in great shape, no issues starting at all. Then, I cleaned the bike after, and this was done with the fairings removed. I used a water based biowash to wipe it down, and a friend was helping me who I think may have wiped some of the exposed electrical as well.

This morning, I tried starting the bike, and it kept cranking but not starting. After a few tries it finally started, and I also noticed small amount of water coming out of exhaust. Then, an hour later, I tried starting again, and this time, everything went normal until I pushed start, at which point I only heard the click, but no crank, all temperature bars lit up for 2 seconds, and then it reset. A short time later, I tried again, and got no power at all, nothing when I turned key. A few hours after that, I tried again, and everything lit up, but when I hit start, nothing happened, and when I turned the key off and back on, I now have no power again.

It surely cant be the battery, I just bought it last summer, and like I said, the bike was starting perfectly fine until just yesterday. I left the key in the ignition switch on the off position yesterday while working, which I dont think has any relevance but maybe I am wrong. My guess is during cleaning yesterday, some liquid got in to places where it shouldnt have?

Would appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
It sure sounds like the battery to me. Have you tried load testing it? Start with the easiest things first.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Excepting electronics there's really no place water can get that will stop your bike from running otherwise we'd all be stranded every time it rained (because it started initially I'm going to assume you didn't shoot large amounts of water into your air intake and down your throttle bodies).

First maxim of motorcycle repair: "It can always be the battery."

You may not have permanently knackered it but it could have discharged below starting voltage/amperage (if you're getting clicking and your starter isn't turning that's likely it. If it's really low your cluster will do its thing but you'll get no clicking).

Some moisture out of the exhaust right after starting isn't abnormal, it's condensation blowing out of the muffler. It's not coming from your motor, water won't survive the combustion process.

Put a volt meter on your battery. The higher it reads above 12.3v or so the better. Below that and it won't likely crank.

Jump your battery with another 12v source, your car for example. This can in no way harm your bike providing you hook it up properly. If you want to minimize any highly unlikely dangers don't have your car running. If it starts when hooked to your car (or another motorcycle battery) you know it was your battery. Odds are your existing battery will charge back up.

Your 12v car battery, though it has the capacity to put out more amps, is electrically the same as your 12v motorcycle battery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sure sounds like the battery to me. Have you tried load testing it? Start with the easiest things first.
I have not. I guess my first mistake was to assume it isnt the battery. I will try jump starting like the gentleman below mentioned and see what that gets me. Thanks 👍

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excepting electronics there's really no place water can get that will stop your bike from running otherwise we'd all be stranded every time it rained (because it started initially I'm going to assume you didn't shoot large amounts of water into your air intake and down your throttle bodies).

You may not have permanently knackered it but it could have discharged below starting voltage/amperage (if you're getting clicking and your starter isn't turning that's likely it. If it's really low your cluster will do its thing but you'll get no clicking).

Some moisture out of the exhaust right after starting isn't abnormal, it's condensation blowing out of the muffler. It's not coming from your motor, water won't survive the combustion process.

Put a volt meter on your battery. The higher it reads above 12.3v or so the better. Below that and it won't likely crank.

Jump your battery with another 12v source, your car for example. This can in no way harm your bike providing you hook it up properly. If you want to minimize any highly unlikely dangers don't have your car running. If it starts when hooked to your car (or another motorcycle battery) you know it was your battery. Odds are your existing battery will charge back up.

Your 12v car battery, though it has the capacity to put out more amps, is electrically the same as your 12v motorcycle battery.
Appreciate the detailed response. Will try jump starting first. Now that youve mentioned it, ive been in situations before where I thought the problem was anything but the battery, and I was wrong. That quote is spot on lol.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Did you run the bike with the reg/rec disconnected when you had the fairings off? That will definitely drain the battery enough for it not to start. I'd try charging the battery first and then see if it's starts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

It was the battery, jumped it while connected to my car while it was turned off, turned over on the first try. Thanks man 👍

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good to hear. Thanks for following up.

With the bike running put a volt meter across the bike's battery. If you're getting around 14v your charging system is doing its job and should charge your battery back up into the high 12s.

If battery keeps discharging you'll want to replace it obviously. Sometimes they don't last even when not that old.

My solution has been to spend the extra $$ and buy a lithium battery. Those are amazing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to hear. Thanks for following up.

With the bike running put a volt meter across the bike's battery. If you're getting around 14v your charging system is doing its job and should charge your battery back up into the high 12s.

If battery keeps discharging you'll want to replace it obviously. Sometimes they don't last even when not that old.

My solution has been to spend the extra $$ and buy a lithium battery. Those are amazing.
From what I know, advantages to Lithium batterys are smaller, lighter, no liquid. Do they hold charge longer? Longer lifespans? What are significant benefits?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Lithium has effectively no sitting discharge rate, something like 1% a year. No need to hook to a tender, remove from bike etc.

The weight is unbelievable. They feel like an empty plastic box.

You can mount them in any orientation since there's no liquid media to slosh around.

They way outlast AGM. I know people going on 5+ years with no end in sight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Lithium has effectively no sitting discharge rate, something like 1% a year. No need to hook to a tender, remove from bike etc.

The weight is unbelievable. They feel like an empty plastic box.

You can mount them in any orientation since there's no liquid media to slosh around.

They way outlast AGM. I know people going on 5+ years with no end in sight.
Great info. Cost wise are they alot more expensive?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts