Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, just wanted to say that i've been floating around the forum for a while now. looking in here and there. i used to ride a street triple, and have now purchased myself a 2008 daytona.

This afternoon the bike fired up without problems. ran fine. then about an hour ago i went back outside to fire it up and nothing. i turn the key to "on" and all the lights come on, the fuel pump primes, along with all the other "start-up" noises. but when i turn the key to start the starter relay clicks (once, and pretty loud) and then nothing. after that, the start-up sequence resets, and everything starts to prime itself again.

i thought it was the battery, i ran a tester across it, charge was good just sitting and under load. but ill charge it tomorrow when i go to work just in case the tester wasn't reading correctly (unlikely, but hoping for an easy fix).

the bike was just delivered from dealer this afternoon, it is a used bike, had been traded in by an older fellow, doesnt even have 1000km on it.

any ideas on what my problem may be and how i can troubleshoot? I have read that the regulator/rectifier and/or stators have been known to go on these bikes, is that what this is?

also, its currently -15 degrees celsius in my garage, dont know if that would affect it... the street triple starts just fine.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
928 Posts
The battery is small and cant provide enough cranking amps when it's that fucking cold.

Keep it inside and plug it in when you want to ride.

Or you could move somewhere warmer... ;)

sassafras

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
then ill put it inside overnight, and see if she starts in the morning.

hope it was just that simple.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, since i already pulled my battery out last night, i just hooked some booster cables up from my car to the battery wires on my bike. she fired up without issue.

i'm still giving my battery a charge, but it seems that the issue was merely a combination of a small battery (possibly weak) and cold weather.

thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
another question now.

about the daytona battery. is it a wet cell battery? should there be liquid in the cells? because i popped off the caps and tipped it over and she is completely dry inside.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
i'm still giving my battery a charge, but it seems that the issue was merely a combination of a small battery (possibly weak) and cold weather.

thanks.
It's a small, pathetically weak battery and I'm pretty sure they are a non maintenance battery which shouldn't be opened up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rather than buying another oem battery, is there any other brand of battery that anyone would recommend for this bike?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Insert, I and Indy had similar problems, have a look under the thread of 'electrics' to see the contributions and thoughts of members which are helpfull. As a summary, with a multimeter, check the battery is recieving over 12 volts when running. If so, the problem is battery. If not over 12V then then problem is either rectifier/regulator, the next cheapest fix (after market ones available through links on this site) or stator. Cheers mate, and good luck. I trust you will be on the road again soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts