Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, just wanted to say that i've been floating around the forum for a while now. looking in here and there. i used to ride a street triple, and have now purchased myself a 2008 daytona.

This afternoon the bike fired up without problems. ran fine. then about an hour ago i went back outside to fire it up and nothing. i turn the key to "on" and all the lights come on, the fuel pump primes, along with all the other "start-up" noises. but when i turn the key to start the starter relay clicks (once, and pretty loud) and then nothing. after that, the start-up sequence resets, and everything starts to prime itself again.

i thought it was the battery, i ran a tester across it, charge was good just sitting and under load. but ill charge it tomorrow when i go to work just in case the tester wasn't reading correctly (unlikely, but hoping for an easy fix).

the bike was just delivered from dealer this afternoon, it is a used bike, had been traded in by an older fellow, doesnt even have 1000km on it.

any ideas on what my problem may be and how i can troubleshoot? I have read that the regulator/rectifier and/or stators have been known to go on these bikes, is that what this is?

also, its currently -15 degrees celsius in my garage, dont know if that would affect it... the street triple starts just fine.


thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, since i already pulled my battery out last night, i just hooked some booster cables up from my car to the battery wires on my bike. she fired up without issue.

i'm still giving my battery a charge, but it seems that the issue was merely a combination of a small battery (possibly weak) and cold weather.

thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
another question now.

about the daytona battery. is it a wet cell battery? should there be liquid in the cells? because i popped off the caps and tipped it over and she is completely dry inside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,539 Posts
i'm still giving my battery a charge, but it seems that the issue was merely a combination of a small battery (possibly weak) and cold weather.

thanks.
It's a small, pathetically weak battery and I'm pretty sure they are a non maintenance battery which shouldn't be opened up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Insert, I and Indy had similar problems, have a look under the thread of 'electrics' to see the contributions and thoughts of members which are helpfull. As a summary, with a multimeter, check the battery is recieving over 12 volts when running. If so, the problem is battery. If not over 12V then then problem is either rectifier/regulator, the next cheapest fix (after market ones available through links on this site) or stator. Cheers mate, and good luck. I trust you will be on the road again soon.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top