Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day folks....

I've aquired a D675 to 'get ready' to sell, from a friend and customer of mine who suddenly passed away. His wife asked I get his two bikes picked up and see what I could do with them. The other, a 1997 Bimota YP11.

Of course, I've made sure there's fresh fuel in the previously dry tank. I'm using a jump box for the time being as the battery is beyond dead. I've done some other repairs on the bike, and it's now down to "getting it running". ;)

I can get it to sputter on ether (starting fluid). I know that's a good sign. However, with it on the jump box battery and just sitting, it was making an odd noise. I wasn't doing anything to the bike, key was on and run switch on... so, it'd make a noise that almost sounded like an old computer hard drive reading the disc. Or, maybe even a printer waking up as it got power. I tell ya... never heard these noises before. So I started to peer into the issue by taking the bike apart.

I removed the fuel tank, and listened. The noise, was coming from UNDER the airbox. So I removed the airbox and set it aside. Now I can see down the throttle bodies, and put my ear closer to the top of the motor. Son of a gun... if the noise stopped somewhat and now I get a tick/tick.... tick/tick.... But, definitely odd to hear anything like this. I was still able to get the bike to sputter and idle for a split second on ether, putting a small puff down the throttle bodies.

So, what could be my issues?! I don't have a 'reader' to know why the yellow light is on, so there's that. I also had to order $90 in parts for the clutch, as oddly the pivot/actuator arm was missing. Previous owner pulled out the slipper clutch and upon reassembly of the stock clutch I guess decided to leave only one bolt in the side case (cover) and ... walk away. So I ordered all those parts in the meantime of trying to get it running.

Should I be taking the fuel pump and filter apart to test it out of the tank?? When I pull the fuel line... no fuel leaks out, which I know is normal. But also, not sure how to test the pump IN the tank or if it can even happen. I'm assuming this is a fuel related issue, but am at a loss to move forward without "you folks" help.

... any ideas?! I'll be watching this thread for replies!!

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper Motor vehicle

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
The sound you're hearing is the idle stepper motor resetting itself.

I'd definitely be pulling the fuel pump out and checking the teabag filter.

You ideally want to find out the error code. You can use TuneECU and a bluetooth reader. You can also use TuneECU to perform a fuel pump test.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sound you're hearing is the idle stepper motor resetting itself.

I'd definitely be pulling the fuel pump out and checking the teabag filter.

You ideally want to find out the error code. You can use TuneECU and a bluetooth reader. You can also use TuneECU to perform a fuel pump test.
Excellent... thank you.

I do have a bluetooth reader, that I used to use in my Jeep... with Torque. Same idea, right? Just use "TuneECU" as an app for the phone and go at it? ... Sounds too easy.

I'll pull the fuel filter and pump assembly this AM. Shouldn't be too hard to check for blockages and fuel gunk. The Bimota's petcock (it actually uses a standard off/on/off petcock - no reserve) was so crusty and clogged that I picked at it for an hour. Blew compressed air, etc. etc. I finally got out the drill and used a small bit. Opened it up and cleaned it out, with a new o-ring it's working like a champ. I can only imagine if there was any fuel left in the Triumph during those years. As I said... last registered date was 2010 for the Triumph... so, I'm sure it wasn't on the road the last 12 years.

I'm somewhat excited to get at it this AM. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...... You can use TuneECU and a bluetooth reader. You can also use TuneECU to perform a fuel pump test.
Got it installed, and waiting on registration so I can do anything more than 'link' to the bike.

Pretty cool app! (I've been out of fuel injected bikes for far too long)

(cranking, no start... screenshot)
Speedometer Gauge Measuring instrument Font Circle

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay....

Registered TuneECU and the bike, and cleared the error codes. There were a LOT! I then ran some tests. One of them being the fuel pump. However, the test ran and I didn't get any errors. In fact, I ran every test the app had and no errors.Super cool app btw.

I cranked and cranked... no error codes came back.

Still seems to be a fuel problem, so I took the fuel pump assembly out of the bike.
Recipe Wood Ingredient Ashtray Cuisine
Hand Blue Wood Finger Musical instrument

Ohhhh boy... nice and dirty.

I then pulled the pump out of the pump housing;
Recipe Cuisine Ingredient Wood Dish

I took the actual fuel pump to my test bench... and tried 12V to the two leads on the pump;
Hand Automotive tire Finger Thumb Nail

... I could feel the pump TRY to turn, but nothing. Reversing the leads did the same, felt the pump try to turn the first time I'd touch the leads, and then nothing every time there after. Shouldn't 12V spin the pump motor?

TELL ME I don't have to buy a $325 assembly?!

Per the parts diagram, it's the entire thing (#16).
Automotive lighting Font Cylinder Gas Drawing

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went ahead and ordered (from Quantum Fuel Systems);
Product Sleeve Font Houseplant Tableware

Just need the pump and strainer.

Be here in a couple days... hoping it's the FIX ALL and she's purring like a kitten on Wednesday.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW... FAR CANAL was right about the "noises" I was hearing.

When I ran the two tests shown below, I got the "old modem/computer bootup" and the "tick/tick... tick/tick" sounds once again, that I was hearing before I had the app.

Font Screenshot Technology Slope Rectangle
Font Screenshot Technology Space Software

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GREAT news....

The new fuel pump did the trick!!!

... now to get the rest of the parts and get'er all back together (soon the test ride)!

It'll be on local sites for sale soon. Anyone have an idea on starting price?? I have no idea what they're worth and want to do the family right by not giving it away but also making a buyer a good deal (I don't like Covid price gouging B.S.)

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Happy days!

I'm in a different part of the world and can't really help you with a price sorry. A quick look around your local sites should give you a bit of an idea. They hold their value well but it is a 16 year old bike. Personally, I'm not a fan of bikes that have sat around for years. Most are just a can of worms waiting to be opened. At least you've taken the initiative to get it running well, unlike a lot of dreamers who say the bike doesn't start but 'only' needs a new battery. Good luck with the sale.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts