Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this is going to sound like one of those Nigeria scams but please bear with me ....

Two years ago I bought the subject bike to race in AHRMA. It was a fully prepared racebike that had seen two or three track days and the owner decided to be a professional golfer instead and sold it to me (I told you - Nigeria, right?).

I ran it once at MidOhio shortly after I bought it and shortly thereafter hurt myself at work. I've been on disability for about 18 months now and have come to the realizaton that I'm not going racing again. I sold all of the good race stuff (the PowerCommander is still on it) and am midway back to street configuration. The suspension is stock but reworked. The thing handles and runs great.

The kicker is the paperwork. I bought the bike with the original COO and a FL transfer (the original owner never titled it). I went to title it here in NH and was told that what I had wasn't good enough and it needed to be titled in FL. At this point, the original owner would have to pay sales tax and I would have to pay the NH version of the same. The selling shop won't help by reassigning it to me. I guess I don't blame them.

So, what we have here is an untitleable (as far as I know) '06 in basically stock form.

I've sold four other bikes so far this year and am down to this one (I'm keeping the Thruxton, damnit).

If anyone has any suggestions (the title services are unable to help) I'd be happy to listen.

Otherwise, I'll take the first $4500 as it sits. Mileage is less than 1,000. I will deliver for .80/loaded mile within reason (I'm not driving to California).

Please don't ask for individual parts. If I end up going that route, I'll post them on EBay.

Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
I remember that bike. It was beautiful in full race trim.

The previous owner is local to me and had another 675 he was selling in the same situation (never titled). I can vouch that Nick's story is legit.

Was the MSO signed? Is it in the other guy's name?

When I checked into it, sales tax would have to be paid by the original purchaser to have a title issued. Then, sales tax would be paid again when the title changes hands.

It can be done but would require lots of leg-work and some taxes paid to your favorite uncle.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I attached a scan of the MSO, it was signed in his name.

The double sales tax is most of the issue. The whole effort would run over $1600.

I'm guessing that I could get about $6k for it, only because of the fact that it was, however briefly, a racebike and it was fully safety-wired. Take the $1.6k off that and I'm at $4.5 (ok, $4.4).

I'm fairly confident that I could get more than that as parts but I have so much on my plate right now that I'd like to avoid that if possible.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the bike able to be titled in Florida?
It is but it would be a two step process. The original owner would have to title it first (and pay the tax) and then sign it over to you. It's not a big deal but when I do the math, it makes more sense for me to part it out, which I will if no-one wants it as it is. I can put you in touch with the original owner ( his name is on the COO in the first post).

·
Registered
2008 Triumph Daytona 675
929 Posts
Hmmmmmm... wonder if I can avoid the title issue by buying it and bringing it into Canada? Let me make a few calls and I'll touch base with you early in the week if it would work. We don't have titles in Canada so I can probably rely on some of the other paper work to register it in my name.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It is but it would be a two step process. The original owner would have to title it first (and pay the tax) and then sign it over to you. It's not a big deal but when I do the math, it makes more sense for me to part it out, which I will if no-one wants it as it is. I can put you in touch with the original owner ( his name is on the COO in the first post).
So regardless it would have to be titled by the original owner. Thanks for the reply, and good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I found this thread in my conversations and it MIGHT help someone in the future.

I bought this bike from Nick back in 2009. I've had it up until yesterday. I was going to use it as a track bike and I think I did a couple on it, but then life did it's thing and other plans happened. Mileage was still super low. I sold it at 959 miles..lol

I will note that I forgot I couldn't get a title so when I tried using the above MSO signed by Charles my local DMV was like no way. In fact they said there was no way I was going to be able to title the bike short of finding the first owner and him paying taxes. My friend first bought it and he couldn't title it in WV, so a few weeks later I picked up the bike and tried in VA.. still a no go.

I found a legal loop hole through VT. VT does not give titles out to motorcycles 15 years old or older. The bike was considered 15 years old on Jan 1 2021 according to their online document.

I sent out the forms and paperwork to VT at the beginning of March. I got a VT license plate at the beginning of April. I then got VT registration paperwork/receipt two weeks after that. So around the middle of April. I then had a DMV appointment this last Friday. I took my VT registration in with the forms and asked for a VA title. Took about 35 minutes because they definitely don't do this often. She was trying to say I needed a VT title but after looking it up and realizing they don't offer titles, and saw it in the rule book they ended up processing everything.

$15 later I now have a VALID/LEGAL VA title. I couldn't stop laughing. Everything I tried from the previous 6-7 months trying to get a title in VA they said no and or I shouldn't have purchased a motorcycle without a title (there was NOTHING that they could do). This time around they actually did worse because I was willing to pay VA sales tax.. but because I went through VT, VA lost sales tax (tax exempt since I paid VT tax of around $190 which included registration fees)...lol. And they still had to issue a title!

It was bitter sweet as the bike rode away.... It was as pristine as you could get honestly for an 06', almost like it rolled off the dealer floor if I'm honest. I bought it in 2009 for $4,500, and sold it for $6,000 12 years later. In all reality if I waited I could have probably gotten around $6,500 for it considering the condition and mileage…
Pictures of bike when I first tried selling it to my friend. It had a GPR triple thunder on it. He got a HELLA deal ($4,000 for bike/GPR exhaust, both stands, misc parts...etc).. but he didn't want to wait until the VT process was complete so I gave him back his money then once that process was done sold the GPR ($900), then sold the bike. Ended up getting $6,900 for bike/exhaust alone...ROFL.

-Nigel

1 - 15 of 15 Posts