Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experiences with this bike? I have an opportunity to get one at a really good deal. I am just wondering how does it feel to ride it coming from D675. TIA.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Best bet is going to Kawiforums.com. Have a sub section just for ZX10Rs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have no experience with riding a ZX10R so this is just me guessing.

The Kawi is slightly heavier, so I would guess it wouldn't feel as agile and nimble.

It makes more power but has a completely different power band. It would probably feel more sluggish down low and in the mid but faster when you get it spun up high.

It wouldn't be as unique. Where I live I haven't seen any other Daytonas on the streets.

Just all depends on what you want. If you think you will like the Kawi better then go for it. Maybe take it for a test ride? See how you like it beforehand?

No one can formulate an opinion for you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is no way I am selling my D675 for a Kwak :p. It is just that in Southern California we are having a 9-day storm so there is some kind of rainy day pricing. The downside is I can't take it for a spin in this weather. I won't, even if I were allowed. Don't feel suicidal riding a 10R in a storm.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
There is absolutely nowhere in the revs that the ZX10 will feel "sluggish" by comparison to the 675. While this is true for any liter sport bike it is more so of the 04/05 ZX10 than most other bikes. Saying that it will feel sluggish by comparison to the 675 is one of the most fanboy, silly statements I've seen here in a long time.
That generation of ZX10 was an absolute monster motor in a somewhat questionable chassis with questionable brakes. The suspension out of the box is borderline scary. They are prone to head shake and it did not come with a steering damper - most owners will tell you that should be your first mod.
I've ridden both stock and track prepped 04/05 ZX10r's and with a properly set up suspension it can be a hell of a bike. It will teach you to respect the right grip very quickly. Personally I think it is also the only good looking ZX10 with the possible exception of the brand new one. With the rate at which they were wrecked it may actually be more "unique" than the 675 too :)
www.zx-10r.net is a good resource.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Madski;6507f78 said:
There is absolutely nowhere in the revs that the ZX10 will feel "sluggish" by comparison to the 675. While this is true for any liter sport bike it is more so of the 04/05 ZX10 than most other bikes. Saying that it will feel sluggish by comparison to the 675 is one of the most fanboy, silly statements I've seen here in a long time.
That generation of ZX10 was an absolute monster motor in a somewhat questionable chassis with questionable brakes. The suspension out of the box is borderline scary. They are prone to head shake and it did not come with a steering damper - most owners will tell you that should be your first mod.
I've ridden both stock and track prepped 04/05 ZX10r's and with a properly set up suspension it can be a hell of a bike. It will teach you to respect the right grip very quickly. Personally I think it is also the only good looking ZX10 with the possible exception of the brand new one. With the rate at which they were wrecked it may actually be more "unique" than the 675 too :)
+1........

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has a full Akra Ti pipe, Scott's damper, Ohlin fork internals, and PCIII. It is just very tempting. Yet, I am aware of its reputation that's why I hesitate and ask if any of you has a first hand experience. Thanks for the good inputs.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have the 2006 which is the second gen.
The 04-05 First gen is the wild animal of all of the gens.
It is what you want if you like your bikes wild and untamed.
Otherwise, I'd suggest the 2006-2007 because they smoothed out the powerband, changed the gearing, made it less likely to buck you, and improved the suspension. But, follow the smart advice here and not only check out the two main Forums for the Kwaks BUT RIDE IT BEFORE YOU BUY.
And IF you buy, you'd best put on a VERY good quality steering damper.
Good luck!
Oh, and no, that rascal will not feel sluggish anywhere unless you are used to liter bikes. This thing will want to jump to light speed very quickly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I owned an '05 636 Kawi before I got on the Daytona.

FWIW, my 636 had better touring ergos (Daytona definitely feels like a track setup).

Also, the 636 felt very manic comapred to the Daytona. Things get very loud (air intake roar) and a huge kick in the butt as soon as you get about 1/3 of the way through the rev range. The bike pulled hard all the way to red line.

I dumped mine on a mountain pass; definitely happy to be on the Daytona.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I owned an '05 636 Kawi before I got on the Daytona.

FWIW, my 636 had better touring ergos (Daytona definitely feels like a track setup).

Also, the 636 felt very manic comapred to the Daytona. Things get very loud (air intake roar) and a huge kick in the butt as soon as you get about 1/3 of the way through the rev range. The bike pulled hard all the way to red line.

I dumped mine on a mountain pass; definitely happy to be on the Daytona.
That's great and all but what does this have to do with the 05 ZX10R?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
My trailblazer goes down the road nice, but has a little body roll in the twisties. Not too good on gas, though. Very comfortable even with 4 passengers. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
21 Posts
When I looked at the 636, I sat on the ZX10 at the dealership. They felt about the same as I remember it. Not to mention the fact that it is the same manufacturer, same year, same line.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
When I looked at the 636, I sat on the ZX10 at the dealership. They felt about the same as I remember it. Not to mention the fact that it is the same manufacturer, same year, same line.
The only thing those 2 bikes have in common is that they say "Kawasaki" on them.
This ain't the same thing as a Mustang with a V6 or a V8.
These are completely different bikes and not a 636 or 1000cc motor in the same chasis with the same egros.
Having riden and tracked both the ZX10 has far more aggressive ergos of the two.

·
Registered
434 Posts
+10 I've owned 2 1000cc's (zx10r, and R1) and I agree with everything Madski says. It will definetly not handle the same as your 675, and the power delivery will feel totally different everywhere in the rpm's. I purchased each of my 1000cc's after owning a R6. After the purchase of the R1, I quickly realized that in no way shape or form did my riding skill warrant a liter bike on the track. This is why I sold the R1 and then purchased my 675, a much more suitable displacement for my riding skill...and even then still outta my league. Having said that, when out with friends on 600's it is fun having all that ridiculous power to make them feel like sissies on the highway...but not responsible and very squid-like. Hands down I had the most fun on the street on my zx10r, but like I mentioned above it was for all the wrong reasons.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I beg to differ, as my post states.

However, I am glad to see that people here have such strong opinions. I hope you can appreciate that opinions sometimes differ.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I beg to differ, as my post states.

However, I am glad to see that people here have such strong opinions. I hope you can appreciate that opinions sometimes differ.
What is it that you differ on? Your recollection of ergos achieved from having sat on a bike in a dealership years ago or your erroneous assumption that the bikes have something in common in the first place? Glad you could remember the "feel" without even noticing that they were completely different bikes.
Opinions can certainly differ but it does not make ones that have no basis in reality or relevance any more applicable or worthwhile.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts