Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Daytona 650 and I'm having some issues with what I think my be my rectifier or alternator.

The symptoms my bike is displaying are as follows.
- trouble starting on the first time usually takes 2 or three for it to turn over unless I just removed it from the battery tender.
- the display back light brightness goes up and down once it does crank.
- the speedometer will briefly cut out while driving then come back on

I have replaced the battery and it is kept on a battery tender when not in frequent use.

From what I do know it seems like my battery isn't getting charged properly while riding, but if that is the case can I differ between my rectifier and alternator.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I dont know anything about the 650 but I know the 675s had serious RR problems. I would start there

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'd put money on a burnt out stator (alternator). I had 2 burn out on my 03 Daytona 600.

If you have a multi meter you can check the output of the stator. From memory it should be around 65VAC on all 3 points. if any 1 point is putting out a lower or 0 voltage then it's got an issue. The Reg/Rec then converts this to DC about 14.5V to run the bike and charge the battery.

Could be the Reg/Rec. With bike running you should get about 14.5VDC at the battery.

Put a multi meter across the battery with ignition on but bike not running. When you start the bike the voltage should go from maybe 12.5 to 14.5V. If it doesn't jump then its not charging. (but still could be the stator that's the issue)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts