Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here it is!
This is actually the first real reliability issue that I've had with this bike after 38,000 Km. And it may have been my fault!

Here's a detailed description of how I found it, I'm hoping it will help others with similar problems identify the source.

I changed the oil & filter a week ago and only rode the bike (hard) a couple of times since. Was about to take her out on this glorious Sunday morning when I noticed a drop of oil beneath the bike.

Naturally I thought loose filter, loose drain plug, oil sump leak, but quickly ruled those out.
Oil drip was on left side hidden behind the front sprocket cover. Took it apart, stripped naked. Followed the leak and found a puddle of oil underneath the starter motor(marked with the X). That ruled out the sprocket seal and GPS O-Rings as potential sources.

I looked deeper toward the center of the engine and it all looked really drenched in oil.

Took out the tank, airbox, throttle bodies and identified the source of the leak as the oil pressure switch (arrow).

I thought it probably loosened, which it wasn't. Took it out and the copper washer seemed ok as did the mating surfaces.

On closer inspection I found this:

Presumably this is where it is leaking from. A pretty brisk leak, too.

I'm not really sure why this happened.
The only thing I can think of is that I overfilled the oil (rookie mistake!!) by about 250-300mL (0.25-0.3 qts), which I siphoned out. I found out when I checked the oil level thinking it would be low only to find that the entire dipstick was covered in oil. Yes I double checked and yes the engine was warm. I definitely overfilled. Stupid me.

The web seems to have varying opinions on oil leaks and other problems caused by overfilling. But I think this was caused by it. Why else?

Opinions?

Getting a new switch soon so for now bike is gonna sit still.
Happens in the best weather of the year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
592 Posts
I would just drop in a 1/8" npt plug and ride until the new switch shows up. Good job finding the leak though.

·
Registered
697 Posts
The only thing I can think of is that I overfilled the oil (rookie mistake!!) by about 250-300mL (0.25-0.3 qts), which I siphoned out. I found out when I checked the oil level thinking it would be low only to find that the entire dipstick was covered in oil. Yes I double checked and yes the engine was warm. I definitely overfilled. Stupid me.

Opinions?

The switch was defective. Overfilling will NOT cause an increase in oil pressure.

Do NOT put a NPT plug in there since the thread is incompatible and could damage the case. It uses a 10mmx1.25 thread and a copper washer to seal to the case.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The switch was defective. Overfilling will NOT cause an increase in oil pressure.

Do NOT put a NPT plug in there since the thread is incompatible and could damage the case.
Agree on both.
Will not ride without pressure switch anyway.
Will order soon

·
Registered
592 Posts

Opinions?

Do NOT put a NPT plug in there since the thread is incompatible and could damage the case.
The Daytona may be different, but on every car I've worked on the oil pressure switch has a npt thread.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fixed!

Replaced:
- Oil pressure switch
- Starter motor O-Ring
- Gear shift shaft oil seal
- Gear position sensor O-Rings

Reconditioned and sealed the road speed sensor blanking plug O-Ring.

Big job took a lot of elbow grease. No more leaks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts