Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm considering buying a Daytona from Victoria and riding it back to Sydney in a day. I'd fly down and ride it back.

Do you think this is feasible/do-able? What kind of pain would I be in? I can wear a back protector with a kidney belt if that will help any. (i'm 28 and in reasonable shape).

If I were to do this, I know I need to get a safety check done to get it registered in NSW and have to pay for new plates. Apart from these costs, is there anything else I need to do when I pick up the bike?

Cheers,
Ty

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Hi All,

I'm considering buying a Daytona from Victoria and riding it back to Sydney in a day. I'd fly down and ride it back.

Do you think this is feasible/do-able? What kind of pain would I be in? I can wear a back protector with a kidney belt if that will help any. (i'm 28 and in reasonable shape).

If I were to do this, I know I need to get a safety check done to get it registered in NSW and have to pay for new plates. Apart from these costs, is there anything else I need to do when I pick up the bike?

Cheers,
Ty
It'll hurt a bit but you'll be fine.

Go to a seat cover place and buy an offcut chunk of sheepskin. After the first few hundred kays, slip it onto the seat - it makes a world of difference. For a trip like this you can just trim it to size with scissors, take the seat off and gaff it to the underside, then re-fit.

Start early and knock off a big chunk of kays straight away. Only stop for fuel and 5-minute leg stretches. And stay hydrated. Take one decent stop in the middle of the day and try to close your eyes for 20 minutes or so - makes a huge difference.

The trip will seem long simply because where you're travelling, you'll need to stick pretty close to the speed limit or I imagine you'll get busted in a heartbeat.

Good luck. Stay safe!

O.B

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Haha, man that will be one shitful ride.... :laugh:

It's definately do-able but I'd seriously look at getting it boxed up and sent over.
Depends how much you trust the people who freight bikes.

"No mate, those scratches were there when we picked the bike up ....

.....just after we dropped the bike."

O.B

·
Registered
51 Posts
good advice, hydration, plenty of breaks, comfy seat adjustment.
last june i did a europe trip with a friend and we knocked out over 600 miles the first day because northern france sucks ass, there are more suitable bikes for touring but it isnt that bad,if you love the bike enough you wudnt have it any other way..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi All,

Cheers,
Ty
I bought a dirt bike from Vic 2 years ago and had to re-rego it in NSW. By that I mean pay the whole shebang. It might of had Vic recreational rego which could be the difference, I struggle to remember now.

Be worth checking though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
U'll be fine! lol the end of september this year i road from brooks to vancouver (1,155 KM on google maps) due to construction, and slowing down for icy roads once the sun fell, the total trip took 18 hrs.. i only stopped for gas, and grabbed a chocolate bar at each station lol It was freezing cold, raining, icy, darkness fell, etc... And I'm quite out of shape. Anyway about 45 minutes after getting there i went out and hit the granville street with a friend, stayed out till 3 am or so. Basically my 20 minutes off the bike and i was ready to hop back on :) but i would strongly recommend ear plugs, as i find without I'm usually cranky after an hour, never mind 18 :whistle:

·
Registered
972 Posts
All the advice about keeping hydrated is well worth taking on board, especially at this time of year. Comfort-wise it is whatever floats your boat really, I'm one of the few that don't like sheepskin seat covers, especially on sport bikes.

I live in Dubbo so in order to ride any interesting and good quality roads I need to put in big kms to get to them. I am 6'3" and find the Daytona plenty comfortable for the first 800km, I think that is because we are moving fairly quickly which means I am moving about the seat. It is generally the last 150kms which are a pain because I will get cramps in the area between my shoulder blades and neck. Admittadly I've had problems with those muscles in the past but the problem only arises on the bike when riding on the boring as fuck and bumpy as hell Golden highway at close to the speed limit at the end of a big ride.

As long as you hit a couple of interesting roads on your way back up which gets your heart pumping and the blood flowing you should have no dramas.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
an average sunday run for me is 500 - 700 km's some weeks, you'll be OK, just bored if ya do the Hume.

All the advice above should be taken on board though.

I have a mate that transports race team bikes back and forth from melbourne I could ask about cost etc for you if ya want.

he rides and races,s used by a lot of stealerships sop can be trusted. Unlike a general freight company.

·
Banned
365 Posts
Lol, change the thread title to how may km have you done in a day?
Is it your first 600?, your first daytona? Do you take crystal meth?
Even if you are used to daytona's your not used to this one.

Get it delieverd, or be smart and organise the ride to a campsite/trailer so you can do it at the right pace (over 2 days).

Even riders who do 700! in a day, would get tired enough to make mistakes, and have 'gethereitis' to 1000km destination in a day.
just my 0.2c

·
Registered
618 Posts
Go for it pal , easy riding.. just stop often and keep up the coffee, great advice from others here . Congrats on the bike, you will sleep well that night!!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Dude that's going to hurt real bad. I can only put in about 250 miles before it's just plain fucking miserable, and I'm only 26. The Daytona is not meant to be ridden in a strait line for any real amount of time, you will find this out. Then again, you might be one of those EXTREMELY rare people who are completely comfortable on the Daytona (Disclaimer)- if you are tall or short you will not be that lucky guy haha.

All the same, Good Luck!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Lol, change the thread title to how may km have you done in a day?
Is it your first 600?, your first daytona? Do you take crystal meth?
Even if you are used to daytona's your not used to this one.

Get it delieverd, or be smart and organise the ride to a campsite/trailer so you can do it at the right pace (over 2 days).
I tend to agree with k473y.

I have done the trip from my place in Beecroft, down to Phillip Island, 1030 kms in a day several times, but.... you need to be used to the bike, you need to have a lot of confidence in the bike and you need to pace yourself quite carefully.

You only need some minor thing happening and suddenly you end up desperate to get home, running late, and very tired.... a recipe for disaster.

Two days makes it a piece of piss.

regards,CrazyCam

·
Registered
233 Posts
I tend to agree with k473y.
Two days makes it a piece of piss.
regards,CrazyCam
Best advice I have seen so far, 1000k's is certainly possible but it is way to easy to lose concentration and make a mistake.
Make it 2 x 500k days and you will actually have fun in my opinion.

Either way you go, stay safe.

Cheers
Rob.

Cam, I saw your yellow seat a mile away at Pie on Sunday.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Don't listen to these pansies :biggrinjester:

Get music so you don't get bored, hope for a gel seat (haha) and remember to move before you hurt.

You might consider removing the bolt securing the clip-ons to the upper clamp and reposition them in a mure humane fashion, without forgetting to check everything clears properly.

The straighter your position, the more the wind keeps you upright and diminishes pressure on your wrists, but don't forget to use your abs and thighs.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Now it just sounds like a challenge!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
make it four days, us sydney and surrounds ones could arrange a ride down to meet you at the base of the snowies and ride home the longer way

·
Registered
480 Posts
The most ive done is 2200kms over 4 days. The 500-660 kms per days (on twisties) was more than enough for me.

I would strongly suggest you pull in for the night and break the trip in two. 1000km's is certainly do-able, but it wont be a pleasure...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts