Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 09 675 that just spun a bearing and stuffed the crankshaft and conrod on the weekend (@ 4400km) It spun it on the centre piston. Havent had the top end off yet and i'm not sure if there is any damage there. I might be lucky. Will post pics.

I had low oil but still showing on the dipstick and measured at 3.2L when i drained it. It was Castrol GPS full synth. Maybe there was a bad batch of bearings or cranks from the factory as there is another chap here who had a engine failure on his 09?

Triumph arent coming to the party with the warranty as it was bought as a insurance damaged bike @ 2000km (light fairing damage), even though they have replaced a crank position sensor once under warranty. Their reckoning is that the damage occured when the bike was on its side (i have ridden 2400 trouble free km on it by now). I queried about the tip sensor cutting off the motor when dropped and they said that they can still run for a while enabling a bearing to "pick up"? Well i dont know about all this. Does every race bike need to be pulled down with bottom end bearing shells replaced when they fall off?

Anyhow, does anyone know if all 675 model cranks and rods are compatible (pre 09-speed triple). Crank and rod here is around $3000 from Triumph so i am hunting them on ebay/wreckers just want to make sure they will fit.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
That sucks.. It sounds odd though, doubtful that a fall or crash on its side would cause that to happen. Sounds like there is a more to it than that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Damn man, that's really a bummer. I've never heard of any issues like that and a functional tip-over sensor should kill spark as soon as the bike approaches horizontal. Good luck with the tear down and post pics!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Triumph arent coming to the party with the warranty as it was bought as a insurance damaged bike @ 2000km (light fairing damage), even though they have replaced a crank position sensor once under warranty. Their reckoning is that the damage occured when the bike was on its side (i have ridden 2400 trouble free km on it by now). I queried about the tip sensor cutting off the motor when dropped and they said that they can still run for a while enabling a bearing to "pick up"? Well i dont know about all this. Does every race bike need to be pulled down with bottom end bearing shells replaced when they fall off?
I've raced a bit and done many track days (and crashed!) and now have 13000 km on my bike. All I've done is regular maintenance (frequent oil changes). Seems like a crashed bike would have to run for quite a while for oil starvation to affect the bearings.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies guys. I have the option of grinding crank journals + polishing and balancing,then using undersize bearing shells but it will cost about the same to get a second hand crank with standard bearings. I think i will just get a second hand crank if i can find a low km one (they are $1600US new from bike bandit! Near twice that from local dealer in OZ) and using race kit shells as they are not much more than standard and are superior quality i am told. I will need a new rod too and i will prob use the race kit gaskets as i am planning having the bike for a while and may do further mods in the future.

I have read a bit about low oil causing engine failure and mine was low on the dipstick but still showing. Previous oil change was done 2000km prior and when i drained the oil i measured 3.2L in total. Only .4L down from max oil capacity. Surely that would not be enough for oil starvation to occur.

A friend is lending me a small camera to insert into plug hole to view the top of the piston in the hope i wont have to pull the head off, not that its a huge drama as i have the engine apart but if there is no damage to it then i will leave it alone.

Here are some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
946 Posts
I build engine's for a living, different to these(huge high horsepower diesel engines for mining applications) but it's all the same. I'd personally pull the head off, inspect all the cam's etc for any scoring and i would also check the bore thoroughly as if the little end had started to seize as well, it could have picked up on the bore a little. You should flush all the galleries on the head and block to get rid of any metal debris that has made it's way into the oil system, and possibly flush the oil cooler as well.

I'm not necessarily saying all this is 100% required - it may well go again with just a new conrod, crank and set of shells - but doing all the above will give you reassurance that everything will be sweet in the future.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A bit late to the party, but mine, a 2006, did exactly the same thing. My bike has never been down and the oil was at the upper level on the dipstick.

Except mine went a bit further.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I initially thought it was around 5800, but it's actually 6185.......

While getting gaskets for a replacement engine, the local dealer asked why we needed the gaskets out of curiosity, when we told him, he said they had fixed 3 675's with similar problems, all low mileage and off warranty and Triumph wouldn't do anything to assist. The dealership they were actually quiet embarrassed and sold the parts at their cost. They offered that to us also.

I called Triumph, North America, spoke to their customer service rep. He was basically a DICK, even though I remained calm and polite.

I've owned 3 new generation Triumphs, this is my last.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Jay,
Do you have any better photos of the damage to the crank? It is hard to see the exact damage in the photos, but the mark(s) going across the bearing surface do not look like normal oil starvation or debris damage. In the photo, it actually looks more like cracking.

Chris,
Take a look at the wear patterns and marks on the gear surfaces in your photos. It looks like whatever caused your damage had been putting debris through the engine for some time. Are the crank oiling passages clogged to that rod bearing?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry for the delay.

I eyeballed all the gears, not sign of wear on any teeth. Next I blew out all the crank oil journals with compressed air and didn't get any debris. I expected some from the middle cylinder, but nothing.

I then removed the oil gallery way plugs and blew all those out, again no metal debris.

I'm confused as to how this middle cylinder bearing failed. I expected the crank journal to be blocked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spun bearing on 675r

I have a burnt orange 2006 675 daytona with 20000k on clock, supposed looked after well by previous owner and I changed oil and filter, never dropped it. During a track day it spun the middle conrod bearing, 6 thou out of round and also cracked crank, otherwise could have had it re ground. This was only my second track day. Have managed to get second hand crank from australia.
I can find no signs of abuse or blockages in the motor so it's a mystery to me to why they fail here, maybe some bright spark fitted wrong size bearings in factory.
These motors also run too high oil pressure (see nz race teams findings) and regularly blow heat exchangers (wrecker has sold 6 recently), cam chain tensioners (happened to mine) and rectifiers (got letter from Triumph offering to replace it). I think the later models had a bigger sump for some reason...
There is something more than 'bad luck' going on here.
'jap crap' for me next time.

·
Premium Member
9,300 Posts
I have a burnt orange 2006 675 daytona with 20000k on clock, supposed looked after well by previous owner and I changed oil and filter, never dropped it. During a track day it spun the middle conrod bearing, 6 thou out of round and also cracked crank, otherwise could have had it re ground. This was only my second track day. Have managed to get second hand crank from australia.
I can find no signs of abuse or blockages in the motor so it's a mystery to me to why they fail here, maybe some bright spark fitted wrong size bearings in factory.
These motors also run too high oil pressure (see nz race teams findings) and regularly blow heat exchangers (wrecker has sold 6 recently), cam chain tensioners (happened to mine) and rectifiers (got letter from Triumph offering to replace it). I think the later models had a bigger sump for some reason...
There is something more than 'bad luck' going on here.
'jap crap' for me next time.
Hmm, total of 15,000 track/race miles on two 07's with none of the above problems, even after putting one of them down plenty of times. Have fun with your "jap crap."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.