Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my first post here, but have been reading up a lot trying to get to know my bike better. Story goes like this. Bought a 08 Daytona 675 back in July 2010 with 2500 miles. Rode it a couple hundred miles, even in TX heat, and never saw the engine temp go above 5 bars, including some blue LED fun on some backroads sunday mornings.

So somewhere after a couple hundred miles without a radiator guard, I caused a pinhole leak in the rad. Rode the bike home with lots of stops to make sure I wasn't heat-stressing the engine. I ended up ordering a radiator off ebay from a wrecked 2010 and replaced the radiator myself. filled the radiator to the top and for the first couple starts the engine would heat up real quick to 7 bars. fan would turn on, but still overheating. shook the bike around to free up some loose air in the radiator lines and it got slightly better.

Now here's where I'm running into problems. On a typical ride even in 50-60F weather, I'll stay at 5 bars as long as I'm moving. If I'm sitting at a red light for longer than 2 minutes, the temp moves up to 6 bars, and occasionally 7. The minute I get rolling again and up to 40mph city speed limit, the cool air cools down the bike to 5 or 6 and the fan shuts back off. I know the fan is working, but does it sound like I need to drain and re-fill the radiator because I still have air maybe? Thanks for all the help.

CLIFFNOTES:
- Bought bike 6 months ago
- Rode maybe 800 miles and caused pinhole leak in rad
- Replaced rad and refilled, had some overheating still so tried to eliminate excess air
- Engine temp stays at 5 bars as long as I'm moving
- If I sit at a red light for too long, temp moves up to 7 bars
- What do I do? drain and refill? (No leaking anywhere for coolant)

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Make sure there's enough coolant in your header tank.

Make sure there are no loose connections/bad hoses (rad to header tank) allowing the system to suck air back in.

Yes, thoroughly air bleed the system as per the manual. Squeeze hoses, tip the bike from one side to another ... get rid of any trapped air bubbles.

Make sure your rad cap is functioning properly.

Stay warm and get plenty of sleep.

O.B

·
Registered
76 Posts
if you still have your old radiator, try using the cap from that one. my bike was giving me all kinds of heating problems back in july and it turned out just to be a bad cap. But just recently in november I ran into the same problem as you.. no rad guard, pebble caused pinhole. just got new radiator last week, had it installed and now no heating problems, but now i think either my alternator or some part of my alternator is fried. brand new bat won't hold charge...

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
is the fan coming on? you may have forgot to plug the radiator fan in after putting the new radiator on. ask me how i know. :whistle:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. It's been cold lately so haven't really had a chance to mess with it. Will probably squeeze the hoses and see if any air is in any of them and see if that fixed anything. I'm pretty sure the rad cap is working because I checked the upper hose to get hot when the engine is up to temperature to cycle fluid.

I know the fan kicks on. I hear it kick in when I cross 6 bars.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Where in TX are you? I'm in state for a few more days and would be willing to help if you were close by. When bleeding out the air don't forget to open the air bleed screw on the throttle side of the radiator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts