Triumph 675 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm in the process of swapping tanks between '07 and '09 daytona 675's and thought i'd show some of the differences that you will come across. despite looking the same, there are changes that you must address in order to make the swap possible.

let's start with the connections on the bottom of the tank. the electrical plugs to the fuel pump and the main fuel line connect with no issues. the pump module is the same according bike bandit's part listings. the difference is in the size of the two overflow/breather hoses. the size on the '09 is about 2mm larger in diameter than the '07. you can wedge the older on the newer tank, but the newer hoses will be loose on the older tank. so you'll have to clamp them down to be sure they don't come off, or just swap the breather lines as well. its not a hard process, the two rubber lines just run down the back of the frame and dump to the ground. the manual states that you need to make sure the lines stay on their respective sides (right/left), but i don't see why it would matter.

the biggest change is the mounting of the gas cap. the hardware used to mount the cap has the same number of short and long screws, but they are in a different orientation. looking at the top of the cap as if you're sitting on the bike, the screws look as followed ('07 left, '09 right...bottom screw is under the cap). basically the '07's 3 o'clock position long screw moves to the 5 o'clock position on the '09 tank.:

the next couple pics show the top of the tanks with the caps removed and caps/rings. you can see the slightly different screw hole position as well as what i guess is different style breather port. the port on the '07 has a funnel type shape to it where as the '09 is more of a small cylinder. the corresponding part the cap ring is different as well as you'll see in the other pictures (along with the rubber gasket that is much larger on the '09 cap ring).:

and at this point is where i'm stuck. i'd like to swap the locking mechanisms between the two bikes so i can keep the correct key lock with the right bike. but as you can see, the caps don't just swap. i'm afraid that extra breather port, or whatever it is, will not be sealed properly. so in the event of a fall or maybe even at high lean angle with a heavy fuel load, fuel will have a chance of escaping. not good. especially at the track. am i over thinking that and should be fine? i don't see how i can remove just the lid from the hing without destroying the ring. the locking tumbler seems to be pressed into the cap (unless i'm just weaksauce and i'm not trying hard enough). can a locksmith make the swap? i don't want to get an aftermarket cap; need to keep the lock. any suggestions would be helpful. thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
a GOOD locksmith could easily swap the lock cylinders out for you

·
Registered
832 Posts
Great post! :thumbup: I wish I had known about this last month, as I learned in my own way that the tanks are different.

A good locksmith can swap the cylinders, but I have found that it could be rather costly. I know this for a fact because I somehow managed to break one of my keys in my original gas cap several weeks ago and damaged the tumblers in the process of getting the remainder of the key out, rendering my gas cap useless (or at least the locking mechanism). I was going to experiment with a keyless gas cap. It didn't fit (tank is 09, cap is for 06-08) but I also decided that I wanted to keep my cap locked, so I picked up a replacement gas cap, and called a few locksmiths in the area. I got quotes ranging from $75-$300 for me to have the convenience of only needing 1 key. Now I just keep a separate gas cap key in my jacket.

Edit: The price quoted to me was to duplicate the key cylinder of my ignition and seat lock, not to swap out cylinders between gas caps, so YMMV...

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm very afraid of what it might cost to get everything swapped over by a locksmith. not to mention the possibility of them screwing it up. i've yet to just try swapping the entire cap/ring assembly from tank to tank....its just been too freaking cold here to work out in the garage recently. aside from the two screws being in different places, it should physically mount no problem. i still don't exactly know what that breather or whatever hole is for. looking at a friend's bike with a race style cap, it makes no effort to even plug or cover it tight. the aftermarket cap ring just floats over the top of it. anyone else with an aftermarket cap see how that is dealt with on there bike? i'm guessing it can't be too important, but i'd like to know what its there for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts