Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son had a crash this weekend on the track. We are pretty sure the suspension link failed causing the subframe/exhaust to collapse on the rear wheel. This was a very high speed corner and the bike/rider slid a long way before flipping into the grass. The bike caught fire and burned for about 2-3 minutes before the crash trucks arrived and put out the flames. Son is physically fine...Safety gear did its job.

I haven't looked at it closely but here is what I have seen:
New subframe, plastics, tank, rearsets, exhaust, wiring harness, clip-ons, headlights, tail light, signals, forks rebuilt, suspension link, seat skins...
There will obviously be more stuff that is damaged or just needs to be replace due to the heat exposure.

What do you guys think? Repair, Sell, or Part Out?
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
3 Daytonas and a Tracer 900GT
188 Posts
Can you get a pic of the failed part? Would be interesting to see what happened. I know some early bikes had aluminium side plates in the linkage.
Tough call on repairing, it could end up quite expensive. If you sell, then parting out would probably get you more money.

·
Registered
872 Posts
The brakes, the wheels, and possibly the engine are still good. The rest is pretty much trashed. My advice would be to get another Daytona and keep this as a parts bike. Glad your son is ok.

Reactions: andrew.andyjmart

·
Registered
157 Posts
If the frame is straight and forks are good. How about turning it into a 100% track only bike?
Clean her up and fix what’s needed. Put on some good quality track fairings.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you get a pic of the failed part? Would be interesting to see what happened. I know some early bikes had aluminium side plates in the linkage.
Tough call on repairing, it could end up quite expensive. If you sell, then parting out would probably get you more money.
Will do on the pic...gimme a day or so

The brakes, the wheels, and possibly the engine are still good. The rest is pretty much trashed. My advice would be to get another Daytona and keep this as a parts bike. Glad your son is ok.
Thanks...he is a bit upset about the bike but just a couple of small bruises.

If the frame is straight and forks are good. How about turning it into a 100% track only bike?
Clean her up and fix what’s needed. Put on some good quality track fairings.
That's where I landed...started ordering parts tonight. Hopefully she will live again!

·
Registered
20 Posts
My son had a crash this weekend on the track. We are pretty sure the suspension link failed causing the subframe/exhaust to collapse on the rear wheel. This was a very high speed corner and the bike/rider slid a long way before flipping into the grass. The bike caught fire and burned for about 2-3 minutes before the crash trucks arrived and put out the flames. Son is physically fine...Safety gear did its job.

I haven't looked at it closely but here is what I have seen:
New subframe, plastics, tank, rearsets, exhaust, wiring harness, clip-ons, headlights, tail light, signals, forks rebuilt, suspension link, seat skins...
There will obviously be more stuff that is damaged or just needs to be replace due to the heat exposure.

What do you guys think? Repair, Sell, or Part Out? View attachment 260977 View attachment 260978
I hope this message finds you and your son in Good health, bike can be replaced however people cannot.
I've got a quick question about the exhaust muffler how bad is it and would you be interested in selling it I would be willing to pay for the postage if you would like to sell it.
Kind regards

·
Registered
77 Posts
Heat exposure can do some interesting things to parts that otherwise wouldn't be an issue in a wreck. You already mentioned a new wiring harness (good)! But also plan on a minimum of inspecting bearings and other soft parts like drain/vacuum hoses, air boxes.

I assume the fire was due to a ruptured tank and fuel leaking down into the exhaust? Either way, it was a crazy thing to watch. Which, on that note... Because of the event you were at, you MAY be able to get some insurance help depending on the company/policy terms. PM for details if you want

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a tank (blue) with fuel pump, rear subframe, upper fairing stay, air intake/snorkel, Zero gravity Corsa windscreen (dark smoke), oem tail (white). Located in Jersey City, NJ 07305.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope this message finds you and your son in Good health, bike can be replaced however people cannot.
I've got a quick question about the exhaust muffler how bad is it and would you be interested in selling it I would be willing to pay for the postage if you would like to sell it.
Kind regards
Thanks. He is completely fine. Bike took 99.99% of damage. He escaped with very minor bruised hip.

Unfortunately the muffler is toast. I can get some pics and if you want it I'll send it to you for just postage.

·
Registered
872 Posts
After tear-down, it appears the part failed because of the wreck and was not the cause. From what we can tell he just pushed the street tires too far and lost the rear.
Are you sure about that? After looking at the pic it looks exactly like other failed links. The eyelets open up and the rear end drops.

Reactions: ckrayeg

·
Registered
157 Posts
Renboy might be right. There’s a few threads here about failed links. 09 and up they switched to a solid steel plate. 09 down was just aluminum alloy. Your plate looks like aluminum.
Unless the bike flipped up in the air and landed on the rear tire hard. It could break that also.
Checkout those threads, interesting read.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you sure about that? After looking at the pic it looks exactly like other failed links. The eyelets open up and the rear end drops.
We are not sure actually...and based on the feedback my son gave about what happened it might actually be the cause.
Keep in mind that he is new to the track (2 days) but he has been riding for several years now. He is shockingly fast for his limited track time. He had just had his suspension dramatically stiffened up before this session and he was flying. He was turning into the fastest corner, long before the apex, and he said the rear just "went away". He was chasing me down so he was definitely pushing but he is certain that at that point in the turn he should not have lost the rear tire.

Another racer looked at the damage and suggested the failure...but after I looked at the tire I couldn't prove the part failed before the bike flipped in the grass and caught fire. I was not aware that this was a common failure of the early models and I didn't want to give my kid an excuse so I just "decided" the part broke as a result of the crash. I think I might be wrong...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did Triumph ever acknowledge this issue publicly? What year models are direct replacements? Obviously getting the steel ones is critical but is this a universal part across all models or is there a year model range?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks.

For others who might read this in the future...
From what I read, as of this post, it does not appear that Triumph has acknowledged the issue publicly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Unfortunately the muffler is toast. I can get some pics and if you want it I'll send it to you for just postage.
Hi there I would be happy to pay for the postage costs and I would be grateful if you could send me a couple of photos please.
This is my email [email protected]
To arrange payment and be able to sort out all the how to details etc, my brother lives in Miami as this could be one option.
I look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.
Kind regards
Mo

1 - 20 of 29 Posts