Triumph 675 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps someone wiser might be able to help...

During my normal commute home, in neither hot nor cold weather, my bike turns off. Completely. I wasn't looking at the cluster to see how the events progressed, I only realized when the throttle no longer worked.

Anyways...

I waddle into a parking lot and begin to try to fix it. First I check the battery cables, they are fine. At this point I 'knew' it was a fuse issue as nothing was working. I check the fuses under the left infill, all intact. I then manage to get under the tank - in the parking lot - and pull the 30A fuse. This fuse is blown. I then grab the spare, and before connecting it, I unplug my HIDs (as they were the last thing I installed). Once everything is reassembled, I reconnected the battery and the (new) fuse blows instantly.

After my walking trip to NAPA (where I got 5 more fuses) I began more tests.

At this point I pull every fuse from the left infill panel, nothing is connected via fuse anymore, both HIDs are disconnected. I try again with a 30A new fuse. Result: Instantly blown.

I then remove the tail, make sure the connections to my integrated tail light are not grounding (even though the fuses are ALL pulled), check harnesses and ECU under tank, try new fuse: blown.

At this point I've exhausted everything I can do in the parking lot - bike does not start. I call a friend for a rescue and leave the bike in the lot.

Upon reading other posts in the forum, perhaps a faulty r/r is causing my short? I am have no way of testing the r/r to see if it is faulty. I don't even know where it is. Conveniently, however, I actually already have an appointment with my local dealer this Saturday (22nd) for the r/r service bulletin. I do not, however, have any means of moving the bike if it does not run, and cannot afford towing (poor college kid).

The counterpoint, to the r/r argument (perhaps), is that my battery is fine. The parking lot where I stopped had a closed Harley repair shop. The owner was there (luckily) for 5 minutes as I arrived. He tested my battery, it was >13 volts. I also just bought this battery 10 days ago. This leads me to believe it is not the r/r, as my battery would have no charge. It is a lead battery....Unless what happened was that the r/r just broke entirely at one instance?

The only other ~similar problem I found was this post by Red9Brit. His fuse initially blew on startup, while mine blew traveling down the road.

Any tips? Can I get it to run (and limp it to the dealer)?

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Sounds like it's shorting out somewhere. Check the harness carefully where it comes off of the sub frame and over the rear of the engine case. There is a very sharp piece of casting that will saw through the harness in no time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My faulty R&R would constantly blow the main fuse, I bought the MOSFET and problem solved! Is that Englewood NJ by any chance?
That makes me hopeful. I called the dealership (closed mondays) and left a message. Hopefully I can get it to them tomorrow and expedite the r/r replacement process.

Far Canal, is there anyway you could post/refer me to a picture of this area? I'm not entirely sure what sharp point you are talking about.

Englewood, Colorado =\

·
Registered
716 Posts
That makes me hopeful. I called the dealership (closed mondays) and left a message. Hopefully I can get it to them tomorrow and expedite the r/r replacement process.

Far Canal, is there anyway you could post/refer me to a picture of this area? I'm not entirely sure what sharp point you are talking about.

Englewood, Colorado =\
ahh got it...well i hope my input can help. I've been wrong before as these bikes have a way of keeping you guessing:nod: Also think about introducing yourself to the forum, it's not cool to use us JUST when you have problems:thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.