Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Western NY
Thanked 63 Times in 56 Posts
I know this is a necro bump here, but I'll bet this thread gets a fair amount of search hits.
Just followed the guidelines (generally...) from TRS and did my captive rear caliper. I've attached a few pics with my work. Few things that I learned:
1) I used 10-32 machine screws. This is the biggest I would go, and if I did it over again I might use 8-32 to get a smaller head. Then again, being more accurate with your drilling goes a long way!
2) I used 1.25in lengths, after trying several. Might be able to get 1.5in if you cut the threads in the brake deeper, but this worked fine.
3) My placement was a bit off. I had a bit more room on the right than I thought I had. Needed to slightly dremel the head so it didn't interfere with the axle.
4) As mentioned in the instructions, you can't torque these things all the way down. With somewhat tight tolerances of the axle going through everything, it needs a "bit" of play. Remember, these bolts only hold the bracket in place when the wheel is off.
5) I did my best to take my time to line up the holes in the axle blocks to the brake caliper, but was still a tiny bit off. That can equate to stripping threads. A round chainsaw file to the axle block gave me a bit more tolerance.
6) Used cobalt bits and a 3/8 HSS countersink bit for the heads. Fits the machine screw head pretty well.
Not perfect, but will do the job!
Last edited by mpusch; 09-23-20 at 13:08.