Bike wont start after warm. - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 14 Old 01-10-13, 19:11 Thread Starter
zazzn

Bike wont start after warm.

I have a strange issue, and I'm hoping that you guys can help.

The bike was laid down when I high-sided off the bike, visually there wasn't much damage as the sliders and the pegs took the fall.

Anyways, when I start the bike cold it starts right up normally however, when the bike is warm it will easily stall if you try to engage the clutch and try to start moving at low RPM, (1000-1500) However, if you rev it a bit it's normal and will continue to ride like normal. The problem is if you stall the bike, it will not start again until it's completely COLD (like leaving overnight) It's like the battery is dead because you see the lights on the dash go dim and it cranks very slowly over if it even does a full crank. It's almost as if the battery is dieing. I took the battery to test and it's fine and even bought a new battery. More over it starts fine the next day when it's had time to cool off.

Any ideas?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-10-13, 22:53
Smoke

Check battery voltage in all situations.

Try the reset TPS procedure, it rarely hurts.

The slower you move, the more dangerous your bike is... I'll let you work out the conclusion from there

If you find wearing proper gear's too hot, you're just not fast enough !

Hear my Daytona's Akrapovic SCREAM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mOlxMJ_zOw&t=1m15s

Dual Desert Eagle EBB ? MER IL ET FOU !
Viendez nolifer avec nous sur le salon #Airsoft sur IRC !
Et jouer avec Ploubalairsoft entre le 22 et le 35
post #3 of 14 Old 01-17-13, 04:19
domanhtien2007

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post

I am just curious about the important of resetting TPS procedure. What we can gain from doing it? And we are doing it by hooking up the small code reader to the bike right? :)

post #4 of 14 Old 01-17-13, 09:59
DecepticonDon
BOTM Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post

This.

If that doesn't rectify the situation, the evap canister may be malfunctioning.

Unplug the hoses running from the canister to the tank, and it should fix it.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-18-13, 23:01 Thread Starter
zazzn
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Any info on the tps reset? Where can I find that. I don't see how the throttle position is going to help though?? The bike is at the shop right now and they took off the starter.. It rests fine so it's wired why it would start no problem cold but not warm???? It doesn't shut off when warm unless you stall it though.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-19-13, 14:00
Yiemchun

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzn View Post
Any info on the tps reset? Where can I find that. I don't see how the throttle position is going to help though?? The bike is at the shop right now and they took off the starter.. It rests fine so it's wired why it would start no problem cold but not warm???? It doesn't shut off when warm unless you stall it though.
The only reason I could imagine the TPS could cause it is that once the bike is warm and no longer needs to be at a higher idle, it stalls from the TPS not giving it enough to keep running. My Speed Triple did that same for a while, I was able to reset it all and it fixed it. Give it a shot.

Also not sure if daytonas can do this trick, but I was told when my Speed Triple's starting and idling starts acting up, start the bike from cold WITHOUT touching throttle, let it idle until the fans kick on then let it keep idling for another 10 minutes without touching anything. Then kill it. This resets the adaptive systems.

Another more experience 675 might want to chime in on this though.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-19-13, 16:38 Thread Starter
zazzn
Threadstarter Threadstarter

I don't think that could be the case in this senario since the bike won't turn over, almost like the battery is dead or the starter is dead... It turns over maybe once really hard and slow and the lights on the dash dim. Like it's struggling.... It doesn't just keep turning over... If it would turn over and actually not catch I could see the TPS, but in this case it doesn't turn over if it did it would start.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-19-13, 23:38
mikejmartino

Bike won't start after warm

I am not sure if this is even in the ball park but I have a 2008 that was acting really weird similar to yours. For a time, I could start the bike fine when it was cold but when it warmed up, it would not start. It was very annoying after riding a few miles and trying to fill it with gas. I would shut it off and have to jump it.

If you put a jumper box on it, does it help?

I know you said you checked the battery but my battery seemed fine too. I even replaced it, and it started right up, but then the problem started happening again.

I will spare you all the details but I replaved the R/R. Didn't help. I took off the stator and found a wire was chaffed because when the previous owner put the Woodcraft cover on, they pinched the wire and eventually it wore through. Your tip over may have moved something and caused this to happen. I don't want to lead you down the wrong path but it may be a place to look. Check your voltage when you start it cold. 13V at idle 14.4v at higher RPMs. Also, batteries tend to gain a little after they sit so that could be why it starts cold. The bike may be using enough juice from the battery when running to make it not start after awhile. Again, try the jumper box when it is warm and if it starts, you have some voltage issue. I found the Daytona is very sensitive to voltage.

Good luck with it.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-19-13, 23:50
Elite CT.

I'm thinking you should also check the starter and the starter solenoid. Could be an issue with the starter when it gets hot? If you start it and shut it off before it gets hot will it start again?
post #10 of 14 Old 01-20-13, 00:59
mikejmartino

Starter

Elite CT has a good point. I was thinking that too. The reason why I didn't mention it in my earlier post was because of the low RPM stall issue. It is worth checking into for sure.

Mike

2011 Triumph Daytona 675
2008 Triumph Daytona 675
++RIP++ 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 ++RIP++
Loud Pipes Save lives!
and sound cool too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement